RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Anonymous - 01-24-2006

Quote:Thanks everyone. I am a big fan of "what if?" novels. Plan on making notes of the ones suggested here...off to the bookstore I go!

If you really like them Turtledove is the master. He has quite a bit of ancient/classical novels about Rome and the Byzantines. However, he also does WWII and WWI series. He has a 5 part WWI series that starts in the 1900s and goes to the present day I believe.

One of my favorite single novels is "Guns of the South" where General Robert E Lee gets AK-47s for his soldiers... yeah, AK-47s.

Also the series Im reading now is called the Videssos Cycle. Its about a Roman Reconaissnce Legion (3 cohorts) and one hapless Gaul who stumble into a world of crazyness. Its amazingly good, and Turtledove does a good job of keeping things real.

Anyway, enjoy.

Re: New recruits - Optio equitum - 01-24-2006

Okay Odysseus, now you are talking my language! (American Civil War that is) Guns of the South got me on the whole "American Empire" series, where the South wins by conventional means, and what North America (and the world) would look like after...WWII is about to start in the one I just finished, and promises to be very interesting.

Re: New recruits - lvcivs - 02-16-2006

Hello, all!

I'm Ryan, usually known as either 'Roy' or "Lucius" depended on the venture I'm in. I'm slowly acquiring the kit I need to portray Legionary 'Light' Infantry, as well as a Brittanic Auxilliary.

Through a friend who was getting me started on 14th Century Living History, I met a couple people who practically breath knowledge of Roman Legions like air.

I became interested in historical, Imperial Rome when I started LARPing, and decided to delve a bit deeper into my chosen 'homeland' than the two books of mythology I'd read.

Primvs Pavlvs has been helping me on weekends and sparking my interests in most things Roman for around 8 months now, and finally got me to get off of my bum for a few moments and start the kit, now I can't stop thinking about the stuff. ;-) )

Outside of wanting to know more about the every day grind of a typical legionary soldier, I'm a trained computer tech who's looking to balance work with play as best I can (as if). :roll:

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 02-16-2006

Hi Ryan/Roy/Lucius Big Grin
Welcome to RAT. Make yourself at home and take some deep breaths. Plenty of Roman air here :wink:

Re: New recruits - Susanne - 02-16-2006

Welcome to RAT, Ryan!

Enjoy your stay, and watch out for the praetorian guard over there!

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 02-16-2006

Hi Lucius,
Welcome to RAT!

Hello from Hamburg - Medusa Gladiatrix - 02-16-2006

Salvete Omnes,

My real name is Svenja and I'm from Hamburg, North Germany. Although I registered already last year I only now became more active here. Actually after Volker aka Carlton Bach told me that he's registered here as well and writes here a lot. Volker and I just got into contact recently because he was looking for other people in our city who are interested in Antiquity and esp. the Roman Era as well as for a Roman reenactor group here.

Since last summer (i.e. 2005) I'm member of the only Roman reenactment group here in the North of Germany. Like I've said already in another post, I represent in that group a gladiatrix. So far I have not all my gear together yet and am anxiously looking forward toward my first season.

I don't know when exactly I became interested in Ancient Rome but I was still a little kid. I had the "Was ist was" book (children's book series about scientific and historical topics) about Ancient Rome. Now I'm mainly interested in the Roman Army and Gladiators but also in things such as daily life, Religio Romana etc. My favorite periods are the Late Republic and the Imperial Time but not the Late Antiquity and Byzantine Period.

Besides Rome I'm interested in sports (watching the Olympics right now), practise Wing Tsun and Escrima, like to meet my friends, love reading (mainly about Rome :wink: ), and of course love my two cats. I make my living as an export sales clerk for an export company here in Hamburg.

I guess this is all for now. If you have any questions, just ask.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 02-16-2006

Hi Svenja,
Welcome to the Empire!

Re: New recruits - Susanne - 02-16-2006

Welcome, Svenja!

Re: New recruits - lvcivs - 02-16-2006

Thank you, Valerius... and 'Willkommen!' Svenja!

Re: New recruits - lvcivs - 02-19-2006

Ooh, I feel bad... I just came back and re-read, and forgot to thank the rest of you who greeted me! Appologies, all!

Back Again! - Guest - 02-19-2006

Salve! I finally finished my 1st century infantry last May, then four weeks later, I got a herniated disk & other compounding problems. May you never have such problems. Couldn't start planned 5th century infantry kit. Sad

Finally could start physical therapy a few weeks ago, starting to see some good results. Smile

5th century light infantry & retired veteran are now my preferred reenactment options. When possible, probably later this year, I plan to sell my 1st century kit items piece-by-piece, by eBay, to pay for lighter 5th century kit items. No more target dates. I'm too old, face too many uncertainties (sound somewhat like 5th century Roman attitude?).

This year, I'll resume 5th century info collection, compilation, etc. I'd be glad to share my results with anyone interested by emails, posts, etc. Pax vobiscvm, +r Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 02-19-2006

Good to see you've returned! My dad has had such problems a couple times. No fun...

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 02-20-2006

Hi William,

Greetings from another 5th c., well, I should be a veteran at 41, shouldn't I? :?

Thank You! - Guest - 02-20-2006

Jasper: Thank you for your welcome. Wish your father didn't have even one blown disk. I hope he's had good recovery. Unless one has somewhat risky surgery, or incredible healing, it affects most people for the rest of their lives. Although somewhat limiting, and "recovery" usually takes a few months to a few years, it's still an ordeal.

Robert: Thank you also for your welcome. Age 41 could be enough. From what I've read, most legionaries could retire after 25 years service. Depending upon age at entry, some could retire as young as age 39 . Some started later in life, stayed in longer, retired after age 50.

My impressions will be (1) "third" line light infantry veteran, and (2) infantry veteran turned civil official. (Matches some of my RL experience. I served in U.S. Army 9 years (2 years in Raetia [now Bavaria]), rose through ranks from Private to Captain, switched from military to civil service.). My actual birthday is close to the one in my profile. Yes, I'm gliding almost gracefully into latter years.

It took me about 10 years to finish 1st century kit... Now I've got to give that up. C'est la vie! I'll post in other threads as my work on 5th century impressions, kit, etc. progresses. This may be my last *big* play-time hurrah! It means a lot to me. I want to make the best of it, and greatly appreciate help. Best regards, +r Big Grin