RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Brynjolf - 08-27-2011

Greetings all,

I'm new to RAT and was directed here by the Optio of Legio III Cyrenaica I've a great deal to learn it would seem. I'm happy to be on board.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 08-27-2011

Welcome Scott.

Re: New recruits - Kate Quinn - 08-31-2011

Hail and well met, everybody.

Hope I'm doing this right - I could nail this introductory post thing easy if I could just do it with a wax tablet and a stylus, but computers don't like me . . . Anyway, my name is Kate Quinn and I have been interested in ancient Rome more or less since birth thanks to a classics-degree mother who thought the battle of Actium made a better bedtime story than the Three Bears, and that "I, Claudius" was better viewing than Sesame Street. (She was right on both counts.) I am a historical fiction novelist, born in California, currently living in Maryland; Berkley Books has published my first two novels, both set in 1st century Rome, and the third comes out next year. I've been neck-deep in research on the Roman legions since Book 3 covers the Dacian and Parthian wars under Trajan, and in the course of that research I've heard RAT recommended over and over as a terrific source for both facts and enthusiasts. I look forward to hanging out here and meeting both.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 08-31-2011

And welcome to you as well Kate. Hope you'll like it here.

Re: New recruits - Kate Quinn - 09-01-2011

Thanks for the welcome! I'm hoping I can do some research here too - I've noticed the frequency with which RAT pops up as a source in the author notes of writers I revere. Hopefully I can do this without making any more acquisitions to my antique sword collection, which is quite big enough . . .

Re: New recruits - Alanus - 09-05-2011

Welcome, Kate

How strange! Another RAT member who writes historical novels and collects swords.
Just like me! :grin:

Re: New recruits - Nicholas Smith - 09-11-2011

Hi, my name is Nicholas Smith. I'm from Ohio in the United States, and currently am a college student at Ohio University. If anyone could give me pointers to the nearest reenactment group or legion, I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: New recruits - Bryan - 09-11-2011

Ave,
My name is Bryan Steinhauser, Of Texas, USA, and I have a BA in History. I've been interested in Roman history since reading the Colleen McCoullough Master of Rome series. Since then I have been reading everything I can on the subject of Romeand have recently started reading the ancient sources as well. I am also an infantry combat veteran of the war in Iraq so Roman warfare peaks my interests. My dream is to write a fictional novel set in ancient Rome. I love this website, it is so full of great information properly sourced.
Bryan

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 09-12-2011

Welcome to Nicholas and Bryan. May you have fun here, and learn a bit as well.

Re: New recruits - jkaler48 - 09-12-2011

Quote:Hi, my name is Nicholas Smith. I'm from Ohio in the United States, and currently am a college student at Ohio University. If anyone could give me pointers to the nearest reenactment group or legion, I would greatly appreciate it.

Legio XIV Gemina Martia Victrix, Cohors II
Greg Guy
P.O. Box 432
Georgetown, OH 45121-0432
[email protected]

Here is a list that has other US groups:
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?func=view&catid=20&id=249913&limit=20&start=40

Re: New recruits - Valerian Pertinax - 09-13-2011

Hello! My name is Matthew, and I'm hoping that I will be able to meet people to help me expand and deepen my understanding of the classical world. My emphasis, of course, is on Ancient Rome. I don't currently reinact, although I would certainly be interested if the stars lined up properly (I live in southern Idaho and work some pretty crazy hours).

New recruits - ParthianBow - 09-13-2011

A warm welcome to Scott, Kate, Nicholas, Bryan and Matthew!

RAT is the place to be if you want to know anything about Rome and its armies. Enjoy!

Re: New recruits - Kate Quinn - 09-14-2011

Dear Jove, not to sound like a gushing fan-girl here, but that's a welcome from Ben Kane?? One of the primary reasons I came to check out RAT was because you recommended it so highly in your author notes . . .

New recruits - ParthianBow - 09-14-2011

Yup, that's me! Glad that you came by partly because of my mentioning it. Even gladder that you've read and enjoyed at least one of my books. This is the most amazing place for info on the Roman army, IMHO. It's a good place to make friends too - and the conference is well worth going to as well...

*heading off to buy your book*

Re: New recruits - Kate Quinn - 09-15-2011

Forgotten Legion trilogy has a well-thumbed space on my bookshelf. Big Grin

Is there an accepted spot on RAT for research questions? I've got a book coming up about Trajan's Dacian and Parthian wars, and there are some niggling details I'd love to check with the experts around here. But there are so many threads I'd hate to post in the wrong one by accident.