RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Rubico - 09-15-2011

I am as new as they get here. Still wet behind the keyboard. I have been fascinated with Roman civilization since looking at the pictures in our family Bible as a child. My family is originally from Italy, and I have always felt a connection to that time and place. I am a retired police officer, husband, father of 4 sons, and voracious reader. One of my hobbies is marathon running (so far 27 completed). I have run the "original" Athens route, and have run the Rome (Italy) Marathon as well. I will be running it again in March 2012. I'm not fast, but I am persistent.

I hope to learn more about Roman civilization, military equipment, and other perspectives. Thanks for the opportunity!

New recruits - ParthianBow - 09-19-2011

@Kate: that's great to hear! Mistress of Rome should be winging its way to me as I write.

There's nowhere special for research questions, no. Just go to the relevant area 'Roman Army' or 'Enemies of Rome' etc., phrase your title to catch people's eye, and ask away. You'll get lots of responses fairly quickly. If you don't, and the topic drops down off the first page of threads, bump it back up again with another polite question.

Have fun!

@Rick: welcome to RAT. It's a great place to hang out. That's an amazing number of marathons - respect!

Re: New recruits - Kate Quinn - 09-22-2011

Thanks for the tip! And I hope you enjoy Mistress of Rome.

Re: New recruits - Joe6112 - 09-24-2011

New guy here wanting to say hello. Retired Marine in SC. Love history and recently became interested in Roman history. The reenacting looks very interesting, I'd like to learn more about it.

Re: New recruits - Stephanus_Maximus_Nodenus - 10-11-2011

Hi Guys

I've just joined the forum. So hello! My name is Steve, I'm from the north west of the UK and I'm helmet and armour mad. Not just Roman, anything really. Film stuff, historic stuff. basically, if it's some sort of outfit that includes armour and a helmet - I'm sold!

I'm a big movie fan. I have a converted loft full of movies replicas that I have made over the years, including characters from Predator, Star Wars and Terminator. However, I have always been interested in history too. As a kid I had a coin collection (don't laugh!) which included alot of Roman stuff. As an adult, I have used my vacations to visit places of interest, notably Pompeii in 2001, which was incredible.

I have just purchased my first Roman helmet from Deepeka, a first century, plain helmet which I dig because it's probably what the 'grunts' or Auxiliaries wore (correct me if I'm wrong - I'm a noob after all!).

I'm also looking at getting some Lorica Segmentata to display with the helmet.

Anyway, enough waffling!

Steve Wink

Re: New recruits - Mark Wiltshire - 10-14-2011

Hi All,

My name is Mark ( Marcus Coccidius Lurco) and I currently live in Houston Texas, although I am a Brit. I have always been fascinated by Roman history and it has been the focus of my archaeological studies; primarily Roman Britain, but also with spells in Rome and Naples.

I am looking forward to learning as much as I can about re-enactment from those with far greater experience than I and hope to hook up with Leg X here in Houston in the very near future.

I am interested in all aspects of Roman life, martial and civilian and love passing on my passion at every available opportunity.

Thanks for running such a comprehensive forum, I look forward to exploring it in detail.

Ave Et Valete,

Marcus :mrgreen:

Re: New recruits - jvrjenivs - 10-14-2011

Welcome to RAT Steve and Mark.

As for the question about an auxilia helmet, unless you mean auxilia cavalry we can't tell much about a helmet being worn either by a legionair or an auxilia soldier. Of course on some examples the inscription will tell us, or find spot details. However, there don't seem to be anything like 'that type of helmet was worn by that unit'. But, anyway, that's not where this topic is for.

Hope you all enjoy your time on the board!

Re: New recruits - Gallus Maximus - 10-24-2011

Salve!

I'm new here! My name is Christian, I'm from the Netherlands. Been re-enacting for 4 years now. Mostly medieval, at the Historic Open air Museum Eindhoven (http://www.historisch-openluchtmuseum-eindhoven.nl/), and our group Ancient Life. From Roman events at the museum, I got interested in Roman re-enactment, so this year, next to my medieval events, I've been doing some Roman events with Leg X Gemina. Also been training with Jurjen and Olga as Ala I Batavorum, so lots to learn!

As I've not been doing Roman re-enacting for very long, I haven't got kit much of my own yet, not exactly sure what I want to do yet. I'm thinking about 'local' auxillia, so I can use a bow. Any help is welcome!

Christian

Re: New recruits - agrimensor - 10-24-2011

Welcom Cristian, hopefuly we will see eachother soon.
Keep up the good work.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 10-25-2011

Hallo Christian,

Welkom hier. :wink:

Re: New recruits - Flavivs Aetivs - 12-05-2011

I've been here a few weeks now, but I'll post anyways.

I'm from South Carolina, and I re-enact with Rusty and the 6th Legion.
I became interested in Ancient Rome after watching a few History Channel Programs, and (having Asperger's Syndrome) it ultimately became my Primary focus.
I am also taking Latin through Virtual school, and my Major is History, although I"m not in college yet.

In the future, after I have all of my Kit(s) and a few extra pieces, I plan on starting a Late Roman Division of Legion VI Ferrata, because the 5th Century Army has always been my focus in Roman History and I've studied it Intensley since the 5th Grade. (So about 6 Years).

Re: New recruits - Roman Joe - 02-11-2012

Hi All
My name is Joe and I’m from the far Northern Frontier of the Empire, (Caledonia….). After having visited RAT as a lurker for a while now, I thought I might as well enter as a regular and hopefully be able to share information as well as learn from the more knowledgeable members.
I have been interested in Rome ever since we covered the topic is History class at school (a very long time ago……), and have been “hooked” ever since.
I have been a member of the Scottish Roman re-enactment society, The Antonine Guard for over 9 years and am one of the small band of the members who are able to make some of the equipment for the rest of the group, an undertaking which I find is one of the pleasurable sides of re-enacting.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 02-11-2012

Welcome to RAT Joe. Don't hesitate to ask all you want, and remember we're all here for the fun of it.

New recruits - ParthianBow - 02-12-2012

Late, I know, but welcome Mark and Steve!

And salve Joe as well.

As you've no doubt already found out, this is a great place to hang out and to find out new information.

Re: New recruits - James Harrison - 02-14-2012

Hello, I'm another new recruit to RAT I've lurked here for a bit but thought I'd join. I'm a police officer from the Midlands and interested in military history but I've been interested in Rome since I went to Chester with my primary school when I was about 8 or 9! Still find Romes history fascinating. Looking forward to learning from the forums and taking part in discussions.