RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Alanus - 05-12-2012

Quote:Thank you Robert for your "welcome" and reminding me of writing my name into the signature.

Is there anywhere a topic like "Have you ever seen a find like this"?

Marco

Welcome, Marco

This is a group of knowledgable folks. If you have a question, aka-- "Have you ever seen..."-- just start your own thread. Someone will answer, guaranteed. :grin:

Re: New recruits - Reno Melitensis - 06-02-2012

Hi every one. I am new here so this is my first post. My name is Rennie De Giorgio, and I come from tiny Malta, a samll island south of Sicily, full of history in memory of those who faufgt to defend it with pride. I came here trough Ancient Warfare Mag, which so far I have been a member from the very first. As my interest is ancient warfare in general, and the roman empire, I like more the history of the Late Empire, from Constantine to Romulus Augustulus. I saw many members of late roman reanactment societies, and so far I have almost visited them all. Its a plesure to be here.

Cheers.

Re: New recruits - Alanus - 06-02-2012

Welcome, Rennie!

Oh, yes. We have a lot of members who have chosen the Late Western Empire. I reenact the late 1st century, but my interests include the Alanic/Gothic "barbarian" injection of the late 4th century to 476. :grin:

Re: New recruits - Julia - 06-04-2012

Hello everyone, I am Julia Big Grin

I wondered if anyone could give me some help with a helmet which I recently inherited and may possibly like to sell. It belonged to a relative who collected film memorabilia/props rather than reenactment and I didn't know if this topic would be covered here. It would be super if anyone could point me in the right direction to get some help.

Thanks ever so much
Julia

Re: New recruits - horatius - 06-05-2012

I am from ogden, utah. i am a student of war on my own time. i have a love for all fighting styles but love the lagistics of the roman empire. i am trying to get a group together who will learn with me how to fight as the romans did (but mainly with the gladius and sheild) we will not be true reenactors more just studentsof a fighting style that should never be lost.

Re: New recruits - Alanus - 06-05-2012

Welcome aboard, Julia

Give us a couple of photos and start a thread in the Reenactment category, depending whether the helmet is Roman or Greek. Maybe it's an accurate movie repro. You never know.

Re: New recruits - Julia - 06-05-2012

Thank you very much Alanus. My OH is no expert but he thinks it could be a Roman Legionnaires helmet. It seems to be made of copper and brass and has leather straps attaching the side pieces and then a tie under the chin. The bits that go over the ears seem to be hand hammered. As you will see from the photos, one of the side pieces is unattached because the leather has snapped, the leather is very worn and dried out. Also a couple of the studs/rivets appear to be missing. I think it's maybe had one battle too many!

I don't seem to be able to add the photos, I must be doing something wrong so will try and find instructions on the site.

Thank you again for your help Big Grin

Julia,

Usually, the promts for adding "attachments" work well. An easy way I use-- I transfer the photo from my gallery to my "desktop," then the search is shorter. Click below, on "Add File." Once the attachment code shows in the window, place your cursor in your text where you want the photo to appear... and click "Submit."

Sounds interesting, a "beat up" Roman movie helmet. Must have run into the Vikings. Wink

When I click sumbit, nothing happens. Have tried shrinking photos in case they were too big or adding one at a time but it still doesn't work. Can I add links via a photo storing facility like flickr or photobucket?

I also tried to add one of the photos to my profile picture and that doesn't work either so perhaps there is a fault with adding photos today?

Quote:When I click sumbit, nothing happens. Have tried shrinking photos in case they were too big or adding one at a time but it still doesn't work. Can I add links via a photo storing facility like flickr or photobucket?

I also tried to add one of the photos to my profile picture and that doesn't work either so perhaps there is a fault with adding photos today?

I'm no expert, really. I've had failed attempts, maybe like you by trying to load pics too big. Maybe the "shrink" method will work. I had to do that on the Classic Fly Rod Forum to fit my avatar... evidently the size of a flea's brain. :roll:

Good luck. I'm off to bed. Work at night, but I never log off RAT. Confusedhock:

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 06-05-2012

Quote:When I click sumbit, nothing happens. Have tried shrinking photos in case they were too big or adding one at a time but it still doesn't work. Can I add links via a photo storing facility like flickr or photobucket?

Hi Julia,
I created a new topic for you where you can show and discuss your helmet:
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?func=view&catid=20&id=313828#313828

If you want another title you can change it of course.

Thank you very much Big Grin

Re: New recruits - cn.caelius - 06-13-2012

Salvēte omnēs!

My name is Darin. I just relocated to Lexington, Kentucky, US, and would like to get in touch with any local Romans. I'm mostly interested in the civilian side of things (e.g. clothing, religious practices, cooking, etc.), but am also interested in the gladiatorial arts and would love to fight.

I've found some references to people nearby (e.g. http://www.reenactor.net/Ancient/roman/us-can_units_list.html ), and I'm going to drop them emails. But I figured this would be a great place to find people, too. And if there are no local groups, I'll help start one!

Valēte!

Re: New recruits - richsc - 06-13-2012

Welcome! There was at least one group in Tenn, but I have not heard from them in a few years. They were centered around U Tenn, as I recall, and had made an entire leather contubernium tent in one week or so, amazing accomplishment. I'm with Legio XX in the Washington DC area, but can help where I can.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 06-13-2012

Welcome Gnaeus, and I hope you have a good time and fruitful discussions here.

Please add your real (first) name to your signature (in your profile). It's a forum rule.