RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

New recruits - Conrad Hawkwood - 10-29-2012

Just joined, I am in Australia

New recruits - starman2012 - 10-29-2012

Welcome Conrad. Do you have reenactors there?

New recruits - Roberto Romani - 12-31-2012

Hi all,
just a short self introduction.
I'm italian and I live in a place not too far from Aquileia. Why I'm interested in roman history? Take a look at my surname, nomen omen? :grin: Seriously, I've ever been into ancient history, for what I can remember. But just as one of my hobbies, so I know a little bit of this and that, but nothing well. I got to know of this site after I found an old issue af Ancient warfare.

New recruits - Andy B - 01-01-2013

OK, so I signed on years ago, lurked and left. Now I am back, barely more mature, possessed of many tools, a small workshop, some mean experience, and the foolishness to start all this re-enacting stuff at my mid-life.

- where are you from?
**Indianapolis, Indiana USA

- how'd you become interested in Rome?
**First it was the Coleen McCullough books. It just exploded from there.

- why are you here?
**I fancy myself a crafty maker, builder, guy, er... yeah those things. I like Roman History and militaria, so I decided to make some of it for myself.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?
**I do not re-enact at present but would love to play the part locally. Not sure if there is anything near me really. I am no student except for what I take it upon myself to learn, and I am no academic professional though I play one on TV. Just kidding.

So thanks for having me, I hope I will bring something to this community other than an insatiable cornucopia of never ending questions!

New recruits - Vindex - 01-01-2013

Welcome aboard Roberto and Andy!

New recruits - Timianus - 01-04-2013

Name: Tim

Why here: love anything relating to Rome and want to increase knowledge of roman army

Education: J.D & B.S. in politics and philosophy (lots of classics courses though). After completing my BS, I chose to go to law school instead of pursuing a PDH in ancient history (which I still regret). I am a voracious reader and consume any publication relating to rome and its army. (Sadly, I have forgotten nearly all my Latin, and so I am confined to secondary sources/translations) I am contemplating returning to school to pursue an advanced degree relating to roman law once my current loans are paid off (although the prospect of having to learn 3 foreign languages at age 40 is quite daunting).

My initial interest in Rome was the transition from late republican to early imperial. However, in the last three years, I have become particularly fascinated by the late roman army and the changes made by Diocletian and Constantine. I am also an avid reader of all of the "fall" theories and love discussing/debating the same.

I have visited Hadrian's Wall in England and recently came back from a trip to Germany, which included a great tour of the Roman remains at Regensburg. (My wife thankfully allows me to scratch my "Roman itch" when planning vacations).

Currently reading "Aetius: Attila's Nemesis."

Possibly interested in reenacting.

New recruits - emilio - 01-04-2013

Salvete omnes,

my name is Emilio (gens AEMILIA... :wink: ), I'm an italian journalist and I live in Rome. I have always been interested in Ancient Rome and in roman military history. I'm also a reenactor (sagittarius) and my group is "XXX Ulpia Traiana Victrix", based in Italy.

I'm very excited to be part of this forum. There is lots of good information here and many very very good people.

Emilio Laguardia

New recruits - Vindex - 01-04-2013

Welcome to the Forum , gentlemen. Confusedmile:

New recruits - ParthianBow - 01-04-2013

Welcome Tim, and Benvenuto, Emilio!

New recruits - NamlessCenturion - 01-26-2013

Hey all! Tom Grant from Chicago

How'd you become interested in Rome?

Been interested since middle school when I first learned about the Greeks and Romans in 6th grade.

why are you here?

Started listening to podcast, very much like talking things out with internet communities and my work is currently outside the field of history and I want to stay engaged in historic conversations.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?

no interest in re-enacting. I studied under Nathan Rosenstein at The Ohio State University from 2004-2008 and am currently teaching Middle School (Technology). I'm also a martial artist and take interest in martial technique, specifically weapon and grappling arts.

New recruits - Epictetus - 01-26-2013

Welcome, Tom! Just out of curiosity, have you been involved in Pankration, the ancient Greek martial art?

New recruits - NamlessCenturion - 01-26-2013

no, I've only recently started grappling in the last few years with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but a bit about Pankration and am interested in learning more.

I forgot to include that when I was involved in studying history I was very interested in the inter-play between social and political structures and how they shaped the organization and compositions of military life in the Ancient World.

New recruits - musterion - 01-27-2013

Well, since this is my first post here, I'll let you all know who I am. I am primarily interested in the culture of the Mediterranean in the times of the first century AD (I refuse to use CE and BCE) as part of the background to the Gospels and Acts of the New Testament. I discoverend this site whilst using Google to try to find an answer to the question "Who commands a cohort?" I struck paydirt with that. The answer is of course unclear.

I'm in my 60's and have several degrees in Computer Science. I'm somewhat functional in koine Greek.

Regarding my avatar, if you are a science fictions fan you may recognize the character of Londo Molari from the mid 90's TV Show Babylon 5, which to many is the best sci fi TV series ever made. He was the great tragic character of that series. The Centauri--his race--are very obviously based on Romand lines.

New recruits - Vindex - 01-27-2013

Welcome Tom and Roger :-)

New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 01-27-2013

A welcome to the both of you, Tom and Roger. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.