RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

New recruits - BrianY - 03-17-2013

HI All,

my name is Brian Young.
Author of "The Eagle Has Fallen" , new book about the disappearnace of the Ninth legion in Britain.
My website is www.eaglehasfallen.com

Regards
Brian Young

New recruits - Alanus - 03-18-2013

Hello, Brian!

Well, it's another novelist here at RAT. I'll check out your website and you can check out mine. :grin:

I'm the author of The Demon's Door Bolt, an alternative historical-scifi about the first End of Days back in the last year of the 5th century. My latest novel is Forging the Blade, a oddly pre-Arthurian story taking place in "Gothia" (Rumania) in the 4th century. :whistle:

I might suggest that we trade "reads" and review each other's novel on Amazon. Reviews are hard to get and help sales. Good to have you here! Private Message me by clicking on my avatar.

New recruits - Densus - 07-02-2013

Hello everyone,

I am Adam, originally from Scotland but living in Northern Ireland.

I am a long time lurker on these forums since I first found them and discovered most of what I thought I knew about the Roman Army was incorrect. I have been tempted in by what is being discussed in the 'Infantry relief system' thread.

Regards
Adam

New recruits - goldy - 07-03-2013

my name is marcel gold

i was apart of ancient hoplitikon

- where are you from i am from Victroia Australia

- how'd you become interested in Rome just by the sheer love of rome i dont know why to be honest i love everything about it how advance they were for there time

- why are you here to meet fellow re enacters and get info on gear and infomation for my upcoming computer game i am making by my self if i can get people to help me in here i can make them historical advisors on my game.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..? i am a re encater and i am a student and i am a game developer.

New recruits - Flavivs Aetivs - 07-03-2013

Welcome to the forums guys!

New recruits - CenturionDecius80 - 07-15-2013

Hello Folks,

I just signed up today after stumbling across the website!

-I'm from CT, in New England.

-I developed an interest in Rome at an early age from studying Greek and Roman mythology in grade school. That developed into a sincere and deep study of Rome's legions, rulers, culture, and religion.

-I'm here mainly by luck. I have been looking into re-enactment and war gaming recently and came across this site by doing a search on the said interests.

-I'm no longer a student, graduating from college going on 10 years now. My study has been purely from a hobbyist or independent study position, with some college courses to enforce my knowledge, but no official degree within the field. As for re-enactment, that is something I'd love to pursue.

New recruits - Flavivs Aetivs - 07-15-2013

Welcome to RAT John!

New recruits - Dux Rostrius - 08-14-2013

Salve, omnes!

Peter Nicholson, maker of all sorts of stuff, amateur actor (with special interest in stage combat), martial artist, archer, keen reader of military history and member of too many forums!
Interest in Roman military dates back to reading The Eagle of the Ninth at the age of 8, plus lots of reading since. I'm currently working my way through Anthony Riches' series.
I stumbled across RAT whilst researching for the show just finished: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.
Not the most historically authentic of shows, but I had been cornered in the pub after a show last summer, and coerced (OK, plied with beer Tongue ) into putting on some street theatre, to whit, a reasonably authentic gladiatorial display.
Retiarius/secutor seemed the obvious combination, so I set about working out what we would need, and how to make it (oh, yes - I never buy it if I can make it! )
I'll put up some photos of the gear at the weekend if I get time...

My interest in re-enactment is more of the stage combat variety, but I always try to make fights accurate to the period - easy with something like the Bard, as there are plenty of Manuals of Arms around from the time, less easy with the Roman period. This became more a sort of experimental archaeology (another fascination) - working out how the weapons are used by using them and exploring the possibilities and limitations of each system. YouTube videos of others doing the same was a great help here!
Finding parallels with other similar weapons systems from other periods was also quite fascinating to my inner historian Smile

Whether I get to do any serious reenactment in the future is a moot point - thus far it has been an offshoot of the amateur dramatic and "making stuff" hobbies.

New recruits - Vindex - 08-15-2013

Welcome Peter

The film version of "A funny thing" is one of my all time favourites and you will fnd many others here whose interest in all things Roman came from Rosemary Sutcliffe's book (but perhaps not the recent film version...)

Lots to interest you here, and I'm sure lots you can contribute too.

New to RAT - Pius X - 08-21-2013

Greetings to all,

I am from Pennsylvania. I am a professional with little time and some money.....so I am finally putting together a Roman Army in miniature and buying some Roman kit. I do not reenact Roman (yet), however, I have reenacted different time periods in the past. I am here for advice and to learn from the people who "know" the Roman Army. I look forward to the discussions and learning from others on this site.

Thanks,
James

New to RAT - richsc - 08-23-2013

Welcome to RAT James. If you ever want to meet up with reenactors, there are several groups in the region depending upon where you are in Pa.

New to RAT - Pius X - 08-24-2013

Thanks Richard. I live in Gettysburg. I would be interested in meeting some Roman Army reenactors.......(just in case you are thinking)- No, I haven't reenacted C.W......never found it that interesting.

New to RAT - richsc - 08-24-2013

There is my group, Legio XX in the DC area, George Metz' Legio XXIV in Philly, and the newer Mid Atlantic group in NY/ northern NJ.

New to RAT - Pius X - 08-24-2013

Richard, thank you. I will check them out. I appreciate the assistance.

James

Introduction - Zames - 10-27-2013

Hello,
I'm Mattia, 21, from Liguria in Italy. I've recently found RAT and I think is an amazing forum!
I'm an Archaeology student and a reenactor. At the moment I reenact XIIIth and XVIIth centuries, but my aim is to re-enact the romano-byzantine army from Liguria Maritima Italorum at the end of VIth century and, maybe in a further future, the XIth century romano-byzantine army.

Mattia

EDIT: i've noticed only now that this is the wrong section, forgive me! Could someone move this topic in the correct section?