RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

New recruits - Keenshooter - 01-02-2014

I am from Albuquerque, New Mexico.
I became interested in Rome as a child. I enjoyed the great influence that Rome had on culture, politics and military.
I'm here because I enjoy Rome, I've played the total war series all my life. Now that i'm a PhD candidate I had a little extra fund and bought myself my first set of Roman armor. It was not possible for me to study history in college, but i enjoy Roman history alot. I hope to learn more.

i'd like to start reacting or enjoying the community here in New Mexico. Yes i am a student, I'm working on my PhD in Public Administration focused on Terrorism, Mediation and Peace.

New recruits - Flavivs Aetivs - 01-02-2014

Welcome to the Forums, Tod!

There used to be a Legio V Macedonica in New Mexico, but they've sadly long since disbanded.

Your best bet would be Joining Cohors V or X Fretensis in Texas I think. Legio VI Cohort X is nearby in Nevada, and Legio Vi Victrix is in California.

That is all I know of in terms of nearby units. All require a long drive to get to their events.

New recruits - John Moxey - 02-08-2014

Hi all!

I have been interested in Rome since I was a kid, and have taken an increasing interest over the last couple of years to the point that I finally decided to start writing a book I have been meaning to write for years.

Set in 70ad it starts just after Venutius takes power from Cartimandua and she is saved by some Auxilliaries attached to IXth Hispana. It details the struggle between the Brigantes and the Romans at a time of huge change.

I have been a songwriter for years, and I run a songwriting forum. I am a pretty creative person with a passion for history.

I look forward to getting to know you.

Cheers

John

New recruits - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-08-2014

Welcome to the Forums! I'm sure you will learn lots in your time here, and I wish you luck with your book! :wink:

New recruits - BroskiDerpman - 02-21-2014

I'm surprised that I didn't even see this thread.

Ok my Chinese name is Zeng Ke Di (I'm actually called something else in that language but this is the proper one, not slang)

I can confirm that this is a literal translation of my English name in pinyin so I'll leave it to you guys to make some educated guessing on my English name. (MMFA knows my English name) It's actually pretty easy to find out at least in my opinion.

I was interested in Rome due to reading old books on Rome which had illustrations of Roman life. Later on I have to say Wikipedia actually made me really interested in Antiquity.

After I read more about antiquity I don't really have any favorite or anything but I just like the time frame in general. I remember playing Medieval 2 Total war and I quit that. Then I rediscovered Total War and played Rome. My first Playthrough of a campaign was as a Rome in Europa Barbarorum. I later discovered many mods and due to my lack of knowledge if any at all on late antiquity I stumbled upon Invasio Barbarorum.

I like how they have the "Tavern" in which all you do is type random stuff to interest people. I have a lot more to type about but it's too much.

I'm a student in middle school (USA) and in my spare time I'm either taking care of health issues or playing video games.

New recruits - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-21-2014

I know your real name? I didn't know that.

New recruits - BroskiDerpman - 02-21-2014

Remember when you wrote that sci fi story? Then there was a captain by the name of...

New recruits - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-21-2014

Ah, I remember that. Yeah it's a pretty easy name to guess.

New recruits - iskander - 04-07-2014

Hi everyone

I've been lurking around this site for a while now but I finally decided to do the right thing and sign up!

I'm originally from London, UK but I have been living in Dubai for the last 15 years. I have quite an interest in Japanese culture (used to live and work there if anybody else shares a similar experience) and I've also travelled a fair bit in the Philippines.

But of course, my real passion - and the reason I'm here - is learning more about Ancient Rome and her army. I enjoy reading a lot. I recently finished Martin Goodman's Rome & Jerusalem and Adrian Goldsworthy's In The Name Of Rome (I mention these simply in case anyone has an interesting opinion on them) and I'm only just reading Tim Holland's Rubicon now. In the fiction department, I was recently advised to read Eagle In The Snow...which needless to say has probably become one of my favorite books of ANY genre. So basically, I'm always looking for recommendations. My knowledge of Roman history (military and 'civilian') is absolutely minimal compared to you guys - but again, that's why I'm here, to learn!

I would also say that in a general sense, I'm incredibly inspired by that unique martial 'spirit' of ancient Rome. I'm a personal trainer and as cliched as it might sound, some of those oft-quoted, timeless Roman values have been instrumental in my own journey of fitness and strength training.

Finally, I would love to get into reenacting but I don't know of any legions out in this part of the world (unless it's a lost legion lol). I'm finally thinking about starting the process of acquiring a legionary's uniform and kit etc but it looks like it will be a very solo affair!

I hope you can all bear with me and any of the more obvious questions I might ask from time to time. Am very excited to have joined up here.

Cheers!

New recruits - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-07-2014

Welcome to the Forums!!!

New recruits - 66kbm - 04-08-2014

Evan....stop replying to everyone new, they get scared.....they wont come back.....lol

Kevin

New recruits - Alanus - 04-09-2014

Hello, Omar

Don't mind Kevin and Evan. They'll scare away a dead rabbit.
I like to read, myself, and also have written a novel or two. Love classic martial arts flicks, even the old Shaw Brothers ones. Hey, they were in Shawscope! :woot:

New recruits - Vindex - 04-09-2014

Welcome to the happy throng Omar

Kevin - love the new avatar Wink

New recruits - Xarim - 04-20-2014

Well then, a quick introduction. The name's Joerie, 22 years young. I am dutch, living in the beautifull town of Matilo. I've been interested in Rome for quite some time now (years) and followed up my high school education with a Bachelor in Classical Archaeology. During my years at the Uni I started working in a Historical thempark/Archaeological Open Air Museum as a Roman guide (dressed as a soldier). Over the years I gathered some own stuff and more knowledge. I followed up with a MA in Classical Archaeology as well and recently graduated.

I am at the beginning of gathering my own roman kit, bit by bit. I've been visiting the forum some times to gather information, but finally joined up Smile

New recruits - Vindex - 04-20-2014

Welcome aboard Joerie. You'll no doubt find lots of like minded neighbours too (Leiden? Am I right?)