RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

New recruits - QRusticus - 04-24-2014

I suppose I ought to introduce myself! My name is Simon and I live in Dorset, England. Growing up here had a lot to do with my Roman obsession. As a kid I used to go fishing with a friend of my dad. On the way to our favourite swim Jerry would often point out that, "over there they dug up a Roman fort." Turns out this was the conjectured fort of II Augusta at Lake Farm. Dog walking often happened at Badbury Rings a hill fort possibly captured by Vespasian. Then , as a nine year old boy I had an amazing year with "the Celts and Romans" as our History topic. Visits to Maiden Castle, Butser Iron Age farm and Dorset County Museum to see ballista bolts stuck in skeletons were combined with awesome craft topics like making helmets and shields. I was hooked and have been ever since. In fact this probably had a lot to do with me ending up as a history teacher !
I started in English Civil War re-enactment but have now started with a Roman group.
Anyway enough of me, hope to talk to lots of you guys online soon. If you ever find yourself in Dorset and want a local (free) guide for the historical bits feel free to PM me.

Regards
Simon

New recruits - iskander - 04-30-2014

It is good to meet another old-school Hong Kong movie fan. I grew up practically obsessed with Jackie, Chan, Samo Hung and Yuen Biao etc...it's the reason why I ended up living in Japan (yes, I know, not Hong Kong or China but there was a method to my madness lol).

We will have to swap our all-time favorite kung fu movies sometime! Wink

New recruits - iskander - 04-30-2014

It is good to meet another old-school Hong Kong movie fan. I grew up practically obsessed with Jackie, Chan, Samo Hung and Yuen Biao etc...it's the reason why I ended up living in Japan (yes, I know, not Hong Kong or China but there was a method to my madness lol).

We will have to swap our all-time favorite kung fu movies sometime! Wink

New recruits - Andy from Petuaria - 05-20-2014

Have been lurking but shall now appear from the shadows. I'm Andy, Yorkshireman living at the moment in Guernsey (home of the Asterix) . Unfortunately my current locale seems little interested in its heritage with a clamour rising when it was suggested that a new museum be built to store the Asterix, which is now going on a short tour to Jersey. Presently work at Castle Cornet and occasionally do living history displays with my extensive 15th century medical display and sometimes with my assorted bits of armour. I would like to get out and about a bit more but shift work says otherwise...used to be a teacher so I am used to being spoilt with holidays!

Anyway I have been thinking about something Roman to part fit in with the Asterix and indeed with other potential archeology here on the CI. Have thought about doing a marine, and being as I'm over 40 probably an embittered half forgotten centurion. Being as it's all happening around 200-250 I'm after thoughts about kit and kaboodle. This will be a slowish project as I've spent my thousands on my medieval kit...and the boss will not approve a similar spend on this stimulating project. I have greatly enjoyed reading RAT, not sure what I'll be able to contribute but I shall try to contribute now and then. It's all rather ironic that I'm originally from the hotbeds of roman military archeology of West Yorks (Garforth/Cas) and later Brough (hence the Petuaria moniker!).

Chat soon!

New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 05-23-2014

Welcome to RAT Andy, we'll discuss 3rd c. marines (embittered ones or not) gladly. Wink

New recruits - Timus - 05-26-2014

Hello everyone.

I've been lurking this forum for a bit and I could just not hold my many questions about ancient warfare any longer. So I thought I'd introduce myself first before bothering y'all.
I'm a French grad/soon to be Phd student in economics. But military history really is my first love. And lately, to get away from all those numbers I have to deal with all day, I've taken to reading academic papers and books about ancient warfare, and I notice that some of the names around here sound quite familiar to me!

I'm afraid I won't be able to contribute much to this forum though, unless you need someone to run regressions that is hehe.

I will see you all around : )
Timothée G-M

New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 05-27-2014

Welcome Tim!

New recruits - StoneGhost - 06-14-2014

Hello again folks,

I am a lapsed RAT member, returning now after a long while...not that I managed to post much in the first place, but ah well.

My name's Jason, I'm originally from the States but have been a British citizen for about 12 yrs now. I originally did a degree in IT and worked for the US military for a decade before coming over here and getting a M.A. in Archaeology. Now I'm a freelance archaeologist and a burgeoning author of Historical Fiction. As both of these facets of my work are deeply involved with our old friends, the Romans, here I am!...again.

New recruits - PALongimanus - 06-14-2014

I'm from DC, and have been interested in Ancient Rome (on and off) since 6th grade. I'm interested in all eras of ancient Rome, but especially the II century AD, when Rome was at the height of its power.

I just joined Matt Amt's Legio XX in the Maryland-Virginia-DC area, and have just started to put my kit together as a mid-II century Roman soldier. My first topic is about my kit.

New recruits - Spurious Licinius Asellio - 06-16-2014

- where are you from?
USA
- how'd you become interested in Rome?
Reading, Larping, Movies, and friends
- why are you here?
To learn share and discuss Rome and her glory!
- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?
Anachronistic Larping, Student, Aspiring Classics professor, and hobbyist

New recruits - Sextus Petillius - 06-16-2014

- where are you from?

St. Johns MI, USA.

- how'd you become interested in Rome?

Since it was in my teens back in the 70's, I can't remember what exactly got me started. :wink:

- why are you here?

To learn more, and hopefully contribute something to the discussion if and when I can.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?

I wish I had the money to re-enact, but I did major in the history of the Roman Republic in grad school...sadly life got in the way before I got a degree.

New recruits - Marcus Antonius Faustus - 06-18-2014

Hello all,

Thought I'd introduce myself. My name's Tom, and I live in Northern CA. I'm a High School student, and I'm originally from southwest Germany. The area I come from is full of history, and I loved to visit the limes. My interest in Roman history was a 'backseat' thing for a long time. I'm interested in a lot of different time periods, and I have been reenacting the American Civil War for several years, and I absolutely love it. I'm someone who believes in "doing it right or doing it not at all" spirit when it comes to reenacting. In the past year my interest in the history of Rome revived and since then my eyes have been glued to these forums and I've been reading as much as I possibly can. My favorite time period so far is the time of Julius Caesar's Gallic Wars (and the late Republic in general) and I also have an interest in the early Principate.

I'd like to start reenacting Roman and putting together my kit, but I'm having trouble finding reenactment groups in my area. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. :-)

All the best,

Tom

New recruits - Walhaz - 06-18-2014

Salve omnes, Nate Hanawalt here. I have no idea how I never knew this forum existed before now, but so far it has been a blast and a treasure trove of fascinating information and insight. A little about me: I'm currently in the Phoenix, AZ area of the good old US of A. I have an MA in Military History; I would like to get my PhD in History, but I don't see a way that will happen until after I retire.

My interest in the period evolved over time from a more general interest in military history, as well as from the influence of some good friends. I am fascinated by the periods covering the Punic Wars (Hannibal Barca especially), the late Republic, and the early Empire until the end of Nerva's reign; however, I am also deeply interested in various aspects of Roman life and culture, such as how they saw the world, themselves, their politics, etc. I like to learn about aspects of law enforcement during the Republic and Empire as well, such as the stationarii and centurio regionis. And finally, I also like to learn about the various German tribes that Rome faced.

And that's primarily the reason why I'm here: I want to learn more, and I want what I learn to be accurate. I don't really do LARP or re-enacting although I do modeling in military miniatures (rather crudely, I'm afraid).

Nate

New recruits - Ordovices - 08-03-2014

I am from USA. I have always been fascinated by history of Rome and everything connected. From what I have learned here I realize, I am not only a Red Neck but also a Romanized Celt. Smile

New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 08-05-2014

Welcome George!