RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

New recruits - Dikaiopolis - 06-06-2015

Hello all - brand new recruit to this e-legion Smile

My day-job is teaching Latin, Ancient Greek and Ancient History at a secondary school in London.

My hobby is writing historical fiction, particularly Roman; never been published, but a man can dream :lol:

My main period of Roman army interest is roughly Commodus to Diocletian, but I'm also generally interested in anything from the Punic wars to 476.

Looking forward to meeting people Smile

Hello everyone - brand new recruit to this fine e-legion Smile

My day job is teaching Latin, Ancient Greek and Ancient History at a secondary school in London.

My hobby is writing historical fiction, especially Roman; nothing published yet but hey, a man can dream :lol:

My main period of Roman army interest is roughly 3rd century AD, but I'm also more generally interested in anything from the Punic Wars to 476.

I'm not a re-enactor, but could well be persuaded to become one.

Looking forward to meeting people Smile

New recruits - richsc - 06-06-2015

Salve Quintus, and welcome to RAT. If someone here doesn't know the answer it isn't worth knowing. You will find quite a number of Romans in the UK as well.

We have a real name policy here, so you'll have to add it at some point.

Ah, thanks for the heads up - hopefully now rectified Smile

My full name is quite distinctive, and kids seem to love googling their teachers, so I try not to use it online :lol:

New recruits - Ricardo Martin Sant\'Anna - 06-07-2015

Salve fellow Romans Smile

My name is Ricardo Sant'Anna, but I adopted the Roman name of Publius Munatius Ruso. I'm 43 years old and I live in Braga, northern Portugal. I became interested in Rome history because the town where I live was founded by Augustus in 16 BC with the name of Bracara Augusta and so, we have quite e lot of history around here.
I'm an apprentice carpenter or woodworker, and because I had to start my life from zero after a health problem, I chose to learn by myself, not only how to work, but also the history of woodworking and tools.
Little by little I'm building my own roman tools replicas as best as I can and for the last 3 years I've been invited by the City Hall to participate in an event called "Roman Braga", that is considered the best Roman festival and reenactment in Portugal. I have a small "shop" where I do some live work and demonstrations and try to explain a little bit of the history of woodworking in roman times.
Finally found this wonderful forum so I'll try to learn the maximum I can and share the information I have with anyone that asks.
I consider myself a very lucky person, because I work with several Archaeologists and Technicians from the Braga Museum of History who don't mind to share a lot of information. Unhappily, few roman woodworking tools have been found here, and nothing made of wood survived to this day. More of a challenge for me.

Thanks to all.
Ricardo

New recruits - Renatus - 06-07-2015

Quote:My day job is teaching Latin, Ancient Greek and Ancient History at a secondary school in London.
Welcome to RAT, Aidan. You sound a useful person to know. You could find your brains being picked on a regular basis!

New recruits - richsc - 06-07-2015

Welcome Ricardo, and it sounds like you have a lot of experiences to share. I don't recall seeing any photos of groups or events in Braga: do you have photos?

New recruits - agrimensor - 06-07-2015

Welkom Ricardo

New recruits - Robert - 06-07-2015

Hi Ricardo, send me a PM with your mailadress as I think I have a book you will be VERY interested in. Also, as a blacksmith, I have collected some data on woodworking tools you may find interesting and would want to replicate by a local blacksmith.

New recruits - Siculus Aprutiensis - 06-17-2015

Salvete amici mei!
I have just stumbled on this forum and I am delighted! I am an American who, as a result of a fortunate series of coincidences, was born and raised in the Eternal City itself.
I am a translator by trade (Italian<>English) and I have recently become keenly interested in Roman history, mostly 200 BCE to 200 CE.
I look forward to learning as much as possible from the wonderful scholars on this Forum, to participate in as many discussions as I can, and why not? also to get to know some of you in person!
Di vos incolumes custodiant!

New recruits - Siculus Aprutiensis - 06-18-2015

Hello Jason,

a small but possibly very important linguistic note: the word for a male helper or assistant is "adiutor", not "adiutrix". (see here: [url=http://www.wordsense.eu/adiutor/][/url])
Di te incolumen custodiant!
(May the gods guard your safety!)

New recruits - Siculus Aprutiensis - 06-18-2015

Hello Jason,

a small but possibly very important linguistic note: the word for a male helper or assistant is "adiutor", not "adiutrix". (see here: )
Di te incolumen custodiant!
(May the gods guard your safety!)

New recruits - Mike - 06-28-2015

Hello all Smile

I'm Mike from Bristol in England. Been interested in Romans since i was a kid. Not sure what it is that, just fuels my imagination more than anything i think. Few years ago started reading the Simon Scarrow books, Ben Kane, Harry Sidebottom to name a few and this fueled the imagination further!
Where i live has quite a few roman sites although none on view. Keynsham down the road has what is believed to be one of the biggest Roman Villas in the UK however like most stuff is covered by a cemetery a road and a factory. Would love to join in on archeological digs e.t.c but time and qualifications make that a bit hard. It basically just all fascinates me Smile
I'm here for a number of reasons, mainly to help me get lost amongst even more hours of browsing internet pages on roman history, would love to look at going along to a reenactment near where i live, and lastly i am in the process of writing my own book involving Romans around the time of Hadrians wall and this forum seems to be a wealth of info Smile

So yeah hello everyone and look forward to speaking to you on here Smile

New recruits - Nehama - 06-29-2015

Hi, I live in New Jersey and I apparently have the distinction of being one of the few females around here.
I am particularly fascinated by the Judean campaigns.
Hope to learn a lot from all the experts here!

New recruits - richsc - 06-29-2015

Welcome Mike and Nehama! There should be someone here to answer any question you have. Nehama, you're also near RAT members in NJ, though mostly reenactors.