RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Salve, Primitivus! - Restitvtvs - 04-12-2006

Thank you for your RAT posts, particularly some of the selected texts. Pax tecvm. +r

Re: Salve, Primitivus! - Primitivus - 04-13-2006

Quote:Thank you for your RAT posts, particularly some of the selected texts. Pax tecvm. +r
You're very welcome. By the way, I find your "avatar" quite edifying. Thanks for using it.

Thank You, Primitivus - Restitvtvs - 04-29-2006

I'm thankful to be able to use that avatar. I owe everything to "The One". Pax tecvm, +r

Re: New recruits - Karolus - 05-11-2006

Quote:- where are you from?
- how'd you become interested in Rome?
- why are you here?
- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?

Hi there!

1. I'm from Portland, OR, USA
2. Way back in childhood, with Sunday School, and later in Middle School with western civ classes. Not to mention Saturday Afternoon TV matinees!
3. I'm here to learn, of course!
4. I'm an amateur hobbyist. I collect swords, and have a few repro gladii and spathae (some more accurate than others...). I've been interested in reenactment, but have never had the time or money (not to mention some physical problems, none of which are insurmountable, but they make things kind of problematic)

Anyway, I've been lurking for a while, and thought it high time to "show up". (Besides there are some folks here I recognize from "other" fora)

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 05-11-2006

Hi David, and welcome to RAT!
Always good to see another enthusiast 'break the surface'. Big Grin
Could you show us some images of your Roman swords please? I'm mightily interested to see them!

Re: New recruits - Karolus - 05-12-2006

Quote:Hi David, and welcome to RAT!
Could you show us some images of your Roman swords please? I'm mightily interested to see them!

I'll see if I have any pics (if not, I'll have to remember to scan some!).
They're mostly older Albions, with a couple Del Tins, a Kris Cutlery, and even a Deepeeka in there somewhere...

Re: New recruits - Germánico - 05-13-2006

Hello!

My name is Nino. I'm a Rome's "friki" since I was a child and read (and saw) "I, Claudius". I'll try to contribute but... read my signature.

Me:

[Image: lasmulasdemario5vu.th.jpg]

A Marius' mule. Ji, ji.

Cheers.

Re: New recruits - anthsco - 05-13-2006

I decided to become more active in reenacting because I adore Roman and Japanese swords and love to learn more about how the weapons were properly used.

I also collect swords and have a habit of wanting to learn exactly how they were used in their particular time.

Did I mention that my family, especially my Mother, thinks I am just a little nuts? Big Grin

My Mother hails from the Dordogne, once called Aquitania during the Roman period.

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 05-14-2006

Hi Anthsco!
Welcome to the nuthouse, you'll feel right at home here. :wink:
Enjoy RAT (and please add your real first name to your signature: board rules).

Re: New recruits - Karolus - 05-18-2006

Quote:Hi David, and welcome to RAT!

Hi there! Let's see if this works.... these are my better ones....
From left to right: Erik Stevenson Gladius Hispaniensis (the same one illustrated here: http://www.phoenixmetalcreations.com/roman_swords.html ). Albion Rheingonheim Mainz Gladius, a very early Albion Fulham gladius, and another Albion, Pompeii pattern.

I've got some more pics, where would be a better place to post them?

Re: New recruits - FAVENTIANVS - 05-18-2006

Here: http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/index.php? ... tartpage=1

Re: New recruits - Robert M. - 05-20-2006

- where are you from?Tennessee
- how'd you become interested in Rome? School
- why are you here? to learn
- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..? I don't re-enact but I do hope to be able to one day.

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 05-20-2006

Welcome to RAT Robert!

Re: New recruits - Dardanus Lupus - 05-20-2006

Greetings to the RAT community and hail to the lions, for many and new years!

I'm from Helsinki, Finland. I become interested - no, obsessed - with Rome during my childhood, when our family spent our vacations in Rome and Lazio. I ended up being a ancient history buff, student of classical archeology, role-player and web designer.

Now I'm planning to start re-enacting late Roman period. Luckily my spouse is a craft teacher interested in weaving, spinning and knitting! I think I'll to start with a few tunics, socs and other garments suitable for a 3rd-4th Century civilian and then consider obtaining weapons and other paraphernalia.

I'm here because of the warm community I have felt, and original research I so much admire.

Here's a little picture of me, from a quite different time period:

[Image: pienisolovei.jpg]

Re: New recruits - aitor iriarte - 05-20-2006

Welcome Sampsa! Big Grin
We, late Roman re-enactors are always experiencing 'slight' problems to replicate correctly our clothes and we currently make do using sundry tricks and shortcuts...Sad
But we'd love to have the opportunity of making things more accurately and be sure that we are very interested on your clothing project! 8)

Aitor