RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 05-20-2006

Welcome Sampsa!

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 05-20-2006

Wow, two more active members! Welcome to Sampsa and Robert (great name Big Grin ).

Re: New recruits - Virgil - 05-22-2006

I live in Virginia--for a few more weeks at least--then moving to Seattle (I'll miss the South terribly). I've been interested in Rome since a childhood spent partially in Tuscany. I've family in Italy, some originally from the town of Ascoli Picene (Asculum in Roman times) and both sides now living in Guilianova (once a Roman colony of Castrum Novum) which helped fire both my imagination and interest. Not a re-enactor or academic although I have a degree in history. I hang out at unrv.com where I post as Virgil61.

----
Frank

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 05-22-2006

Hi Frank,
Welcome to RAT!

Re: New recruits - Virilis - 05-22-2006

Terve Sampsa!

Great to have other finns interested in late roman world....

Re: New recruits - AntoniaPeregrina - 05-22-2006

Hello! I have recently found Roman Army Talk as a result of some minor research I am doing both for personal interests and a homeschooling project. I live about 40 miles SW of Houston, Texas. I would love to find out if there are any in my area that are interested/involved in Roman history. I am married with one child and am a native born Texan.

I have always had a love of ancient civilizations, even going so far as to obtaining a degree in anthropology, with the goal to someday participate in a dig either in Egypt or Italy. I do come by the interest in ancient Rome honestly, as my father is Italian. His family is from the northern portion of Italy. I took Latin for four years in high school, and while I was never very disciplined in learning the actual language, absolutely loved reading about Roman culture. I am even including Latin as part of my homeschool curriculum for my daughter! I feel its very important she appreciate that language and how it has been a part of our history.

I stumbled across this forum trying to hunt down some rather esoteric information for a short story I am working on set in ancient Rome. However, I am not interested in finding out about female gladiators. I am hoping someone can help me with information about life among the camp followers and the more 'mundane' activities that would not only take place in a settled area, but what life was like for non-combatants before, during, and after a battle. I have scoured the threads here for the information and have enjoyed what Ive read so much, thought I would take the plunge and join up as well, since my old love of ancient Rome is inspired now.

I would love to look into re-enactments. However, I do not know of any local groups here in the Houston area. I think it can well be stated that the primary interest in re-enactments here is Texas history. I have friends who are deeply involved in re-enacting the various battles that have taken place, but I can tell you, none have the whiff of Roman culture. More's the pity, right? Anyway, I am open to that as well, if by some luck and chance there is a group here.

I only have a bachelor's degree in Anthropology, and have done some archaeological work. Most of what I dealt with was museum type work, another interest of mine. But I digress.

I am looking forward to reading and learning more and brushing up on forgotten knowledge!

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 05-22-2006

Hi Sharon,
Welcome to the forum! I hope you'll find interesting answers and ask challenging questions. Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Tarbicus - 05-22-2006

Quote:Great to have other finns interested in late roman world....
You lot are interested in far more than late Romans!

[Image: _41668190_lordiget_203.jpg]

Late nights maybe Big Grin

Re: New recruits - AntoniaPeregrina - 05-22-2006

Quote:Hi Sharon,
Welcome to the forum! I hope you'll find interesting answers and ask challenging questions. Big Grin

Thank you! I will try! I am thinking I need to spend a few more days perusing the files, before I venture with a thread of my own.

Re: New recruits - Octavianvs - 05-22-2006

Welcome to the list Sharon , Frank, Robert and Sampsa !

Re: New recruits - Chuck Russell - 05-22-2006

Quote:
Quote:Great to have other finns interested in late roman world....
You lot are interested in far more than late Romans!

[Image: _41668190_lordiget_203.jpg]

Late nights maybe Big Grin

its LORDI!!!! hehehhe

Re: New recruits - Medusa Gladiatrix - 05-23-2006

Salve Antonia,

Quote: However, I am not interested in finding out about female gladiators.

Why not? :?: :oops: It's a very interesting topic and I could tell you loads about it.

Vale optime,

Re: New recruits - Virilis - 05-23-2006

Quote:its LORDI!!!! hehehhe

Yes it is! HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH!!!

Re: New recruits - Ramesses II - 05-24-2006

Quote:
Quote:its LORDI!!!! hehehhe

Yes it is! HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH!!!

Next year Eurovision will be a rock concert :? roll:

New Members - Primitivus - 05-26-2006

Quote:Wow, two more active members! Welcome to Sampsa and Robert (great name Big Grin ).
Welcome to both of you, as well. I too have an appreciation of your name, Robert, and your nation's history, Sampsa.