RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

newcomer - JP Vieira - 06-18-2006

Hello
I have just joined the site.
I am an illustrator of (mostly) ancient and medieval subjects.
I wish to exchange ideas about ancient military history and so improve the historical accuracy of my work.
In the process I hope to make know to others members my work and hope to receive critics that can improve my work.
Finnaly I hope the other members enjoy my work and that acts and a further source of pleasure to all that are interest in ancient history (speccilay Roman and Greek).
Best regards
JP Vieira

I am BACK! - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 06-22-2006

Hiya all........... well since i didnt get any notice or wax tablets of the move......

i had to re register......

anyway........

I am Back!

M.VIB.M.

Re: New recruits - sicarii sam - 06-23-2006

I thought I was valid and cool having a BA in ancient history but PHD's make me feel like grade school level lol...please dont bash us undergrads too much.

Brand new to the Forum, Fairly new to the Empire - Marcus Julius - 06-24-2006

Hi. Like the subject line says, I'm fairly new to the whole Roman thing. This is also my very first post into here. I just got done browsing through the helmet database, and decided this is a resource place I needed.

A little bit about my background with Rome. I took 2 years of Latin in High School (nearly all of which, I've forgotten). When I joined the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) over 10 years ago, I chose a Roman persona then because of fascination I gained for it in that class. Well, I only actually attended a few meetings and one event with the SCA and due to location and other things I was involved with, the whole reenactment thing took a back seat. Last summer, I joined back up with them, and decided again to pursue a Roman persona. My studies are geared toward all things military. I fight heavy combat with the SCA, and have dabbled in armor construction. As soon as I'm able to do some casting, I'll be making a Corbridge Segmentata (haven't decided on A or B yet) from raw materials up.

I look forward to picking some brains around here :lol:
To start off, anyone know where can I find some pictures of Regalia (shield decor, vexillum, etc.) related to the 8th legion?

Edited to add real name and geography:
Brian Biesemeyer
North Central Montana, USA

Re: New recruits - Ming - 06-26-2006

ello,

I was directed to this site by Marcus Mummius (another registered person with RAT), who is a fellow archaeology student of me here in Leuven so I know him pretty well. He's also the one who told me various things about re-enactment.

Looks like a good quantity of knowledgeable people visit this board, nice :wink:

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 06-26-2006

Hi MIng,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll like it here.

Is Ming your real name? If not, please eneter your real name into your signature. I'm afraid that's a rule on this forum.

Change of Username - Medusa Gladiatrix - 07-03-2006

Salvete Omnes,

I just changed my name from Gaia Aelia to my more catchy arena name Medusa. Not that you get confused, I'm still the same, the gladiatrix from Hamburg, North Germany. :lol:

Civil War Reenacting - Primitivus - 07-04-2006

Quote:current C.W. reenacter, 57th Va. ANV have pledged allegiance to legio VI Ferrata Fidelas Constans and centurio justus longinus.
Welcome. I share your dual interests (though I don't reenact). I host websites for my great-grandfather's regiment, the Fifth Iowa Cavalry, and my wife's great-great-grandfather's, the Fifth Iowa Infantry. If you're curious, you can see them at the New Scriptorium.

Illustrations - Primitivus - 07-04-2006

Quote:Hello. I have just joined the site. I am an illustrator of (mostly) ancient and medieval subjects. I wish to exchange ideas about ancient military history and so improve the historical accuracy of my work.
In the process I hope to make know to others members my work and hope to receive critics that can improve my work.
I wish I had the skill to illustrate. I look forward to seeing your work in the future. I am also interested in several aspects of medieval history, including in particular the Crusades and monasticism. Welcome.

Undergrads - Primitivus - 07-04-2006

Quote:I thought I was valid and cool having a BA in ancient history but PHD's make me feel like grade school level lol...please dont bash us undergrads too much.
Smile The good doctors never bash us, of course. The wonderful thing is that they freely (and modestly) share their knowledge with everyone at RAT. I've learned more here in just a few months than I did during years of study. Welcome. Oh, by the way, I'd be curious to hear what career path you're on with a BA in History?

Re: Brand new to the Forum, Fairly new to the Empire - Primitivus - 07-04-2006

Quote:I took 2 years of Latin in High School (nearly all of which, I've forgotten).
Ditto. Welcome, Brian. You'll find a very informed and supportive community here.

Welcome - Primitivus - 07-04-2006

Quote:Looks like a good quantity of knowledgeable people visit this board, nice
They certainly do. And we've added another, with your arrival. Welcome to RAT!

Re: New recruits - bobthecenturion - 07-06-2006

I am Bob (for I have not yet chosen a Roman name), a multi-period reenactor. Since the 78th Highlanders (French and Indian War) are not active during the Fall, Winter, and part of the Spring, I've decided to raise a Legionary Cohort in Ottawa. I've got a lot of research to do, but I am capable of making just about any item necessary, thanks to my proximity to the South Tower Armouring Guild.

I've contacted Legio XXX in Fonthill, Ontario (Canada) about reenactment, and I'll probably end up being their fourth cohort. Matt has been extremely helpful.

Since I know how to make Segmentata already, I figured I could try to outfit a unit in it, while expanding into the world of sandals and shields. I've got a fair amount of coarse linen to work with as well.

As I said, I'm brand new to this and I still need to get much research done.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 07-06-2006

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome - Primitivus - 07-06-2006

Quote:I've decided to raise a Legionary Cohort in Ottawa. I've got a lot of research to do, but I am capable of making just about any item necessary, thanks to my proximity to the South Tower Armouring Guild. I've contacted Legio XXX in Fonthill, Ontario (Canada) about reenactment, and I'll probably end up being their fourth cohort. Matt has been extremely helpful... I'm still brand new to this and I still need to get much research done.
Sounds like you are well on your way. Welcome!