RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Dan Diffendale - 08-24-2006

Welcome to RAT, Daniel! (fine name you've got there :wink: )

Quote:based upon some pictures from a book called "Warfare in the classical world"
Is that the one by John Warry? That was one of the first books on ancient warfare I ever bought...

Don't hesitate to contribute, we have every level of expertise here...

Re: New recruits - Virilis - 08-24-2006

Quote:Don't hesitate to contribute, we have every level of expertise here...

Yes, I am a living proof of that :wink: !

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 08-24-2006

Hello Daniel,
Always nice to welcome an enthusiastic new member!

Re: New recruits - Vedennius - 08-25-2006

Quote:
Quote:based upon some pictures from a book called "Warfare in the classical world"
Is that the one by John Warry? That was one of the first books on ancient warfare I ever bought...

Yeah, that's the one (Dutch translation, though). I still like that book. For starters, it did a good job of curing me of my Asterix-induced notion that lorica segmentata was the one and only Roman armor Smile .

asterix - claudia crisis - 08-25-2006

Nothing wrong with Asterix - remember my cousin tyring to teach me to read Dutch from an Asterix comic when I was 4 (possibly the right mental age for it then, but still havent grown up - just playing with slightly bigger Romans these days).

Greetings anyway

Hilary
(& BTW thanks for the little tweak on the joined day)

New Sodier - Anonymous - 08-25-2006

Hi there lads!
I'm 15 and I found this site yesterday when I clicked a link in a thread about armor types.
I registered and here I am ready to learn as much as I can about ancient military history with you (hope you can help me :roll: ).

My interest for military started when I was a child and then it grew when I started to play PC games and watch movies, my preference has always been post-Egypt pre-gunpowder history, particularly Greece and Rome.

I love to play with sticks and pretend I'm a soldier-the problem is I have no-one to play with and have to imagine opponents :oops: , so I always wanted to join a reenactment group (that way I could have someone and something to fight), the problem is: I live in Portugal (no it's not a Spanish province) and there is noting like that in here Cry .

Re: New recruits - Matt Lukes - 08-25-2006

Salve Francisco, welcome to the Forum. I have no real reenactment group here in my part of Canada either (not an American province :wink: ), so you and I are in the same situation. Perhaps in time you can form your own group!

Vale

Matt

Deleting profile - Anonymous - 08-25-2006

Does anyone know how I delete a profile?

Before I created my current profile I tried to register with another user-name and e-mail but the confirmation message never arrived to my e-mail and so I couldn't finish my registration.

I created this profile when I got tired of waiting for the message, now I want to change my e-mail to the first option (the one I tried earlier) but the created, though not-confirmed profile is saved in the database.

So I need to delete that profile in order to use my first option e-mail.

Can anyone help me please? :roll:

Re: New recruits - JRSCline - 08-26-2006

Sure, Francisco, I can help you with that. If you have any further problems, just email us.

Re: New recruits - FAVENTIANVS - 08-26-2006

Francisco: have you checked this link?
http://lusitanis.org/

Welcome BTW... :wink:

Re: New recruits - M.ilionario - 08-26-2006

My profile problem is solved!
Thanks for your support Jenny and Jasper Big Grin
I'm so lucky! An Iberian reenactment link! Thanks Ivan :wink:

New member - mike galer - 08-28-2006

Hi I'm a new member, just trying out my first post.

Let's see: my name is Mike, I live in London, I am a museum proffesional and a PhD student.

I've been interested in Romans and Roman military since childhood and though I enjoy watching re-enacting, I've not been compelled to join in (yet!).

My area of research is the Roman Auxilia (including the Cunei (Formations), Equites (Mounted-units), Numeri (Companies), and Vexillationes, (Detachments) plus field army) in Britannia from invasion to the 4th century; particularly what indications, clues or glimpses of cultural identity or ethnicity there are outside the normal 'Roman' (what is 'Roman' anyway is one of the academic questions of the moment; there is no such thing as Roman and Celt cry some!) conventions AND then how this is conveyed (or not) in UK museums (which tend to ignore auxiliaries or ignore/hide their origins unless they are military in focus).

Recently someone mentioned Spaul (1994 & 2000) on one of the posts; my work is like that but more up to date, particular the ala part, Britannia only (and the Britannia periods only of regiments that were raised elsewhere) and will include analysis of the inscriptions, sculpture and other evidence, rather than just lists, plus histories of units.

So if anyone wants to know anything about the auxilia (someone recently asked about which units where stationed along Hadrian's Wall, I will try answer), Roman cultural identity theory and current government museum policy in the UK then I am your man!

All the best
ave

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 08-28-2006

Welcome to RAT Mike!, nice to have you on-board. Feel free to look around and mingle in the discussions

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 08-28-2006

Welcome Mike!

Re: New recruits - JRSCline - 08-28-2006

You will be very welcome here, Mike. Perhaps our Imagebase at RomanArmy.com will be of some assistance to your thesis?