RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - QFirmus - 09-13-2006

- where are you from?
- how'd you become interested in Rome?
- why are you here?
- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?

Greetings All,

Signing in for the third time, guess you could brand me a derserter Sad AS jobs, computers and home states have changed I find I have had to constantly renew my ID here at RAT. SO here I am...again

My name is Alan, I live in Cincinnati and was teaching history when I first became aware of Roman reenactment. I am on the site for research for my own kit and and impression and so far, have seen people asking the same questions and grappling with the same issues, so I feel right at home. Smile

Pax,
QFirmus

Alan

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 09-13-2006

welcome back Alan (again :wink: )

Re: New recruits - Virilis - 09-13-2006

Welcome aboard, Adam!

Quote:I have also been involved in Wargaming since I was young

I am sorry to be so ignorant, but what exactly is "wargaming". Honestly, I have no idea :oops: ...

Re: New recruits - Adam Carr - 09-14-2006

Hi Jyrki,

Wargaming is basically playing with toy soldiers (usually 15-25mm tall ) and a set of rules. All the figures are painted as historically accurate as possible and we play on table with miniature scenery such as trees, houses, etc.

It's great fun. You can play any historical period that you like or Fantasy/Science Fiction.

One of my first games was when i was 12. It was a two a side match, 25mm Greeks v. Persians. I was a Greek but because I was the youngest I had to take the Athenians whilst the the other guy got the Spartans. Luckily, I faced the foreign levies and decimated them!

That game was 23 years ago and I still remember it!

Hello - VaniRage - 09-14-2006

My name is Don Davis JR. I just came across RAT today and was thrilled to find it. I have been looking for a place like this. My main interest is in the athletics of Greece and Rome. Especially Pankration, wrestling, boxing, and the Gladiatorial events. I am a practioner of the modern Pankration. I run Miletich Fighting Systems of Southeast Missouri.
THanks for having me here
Donny

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 09-14-2006

Hi Donny,

Welcome to RAT!

Re: New recruits - NeoSpartan - 09-16-2006

Welcome to RAT Donny!

Re: New recruits - Centurian Gaius Julius M - 09-19-2006

Hello everyone, just joined today, my main interest is......wait for it.......Roman History!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 09-19-2006

Hi Sean,

Well, for Roman history you've arrived at the place to be. Big Grin
So, which period? And military or civilian?

Re: New recruits - Ludens - 09-25-2006

Ave,

I'm not realy an reenactor (yet), but just joined an organisation for the preservation of the Roman and Celtic history of Wervik in Belgium (or "Viroviacum" under Roman Rule). There's a very small citymuseum here with a gallo-roman corner, and Viroviacum Romanum has a yearly event (one year the Gallo-Roman Weekend, the other year the Legionairres Mars from Castellum to Viroviacum).

The Gallo-Roman corner of our little museum contains mainly pottery, some tools and a few information boards. The museum is not a succes because it's not very attractive. Our Gallo-Roman Weekend on the other hand is a real hit (with visitors from all over Belgium, France, Holland, Germany, UK...). I think it's because our Gallo-Roman Weekend makes ancient Gallo-Roman live more "alive" then the pottery in the museum. Though the city counsel supports the Gallo-Roman events, for some reason they don't realy support the idea of a proper Gallo-Roman museum...

In my vision Wervik should have a real Gallo-Roman museum, or at least a proper Gallo-Roman wing of the city museum (not just a corner). Our (little) organisation would make it more attactive by decorating the walls with Roman wall-painting, furnirure, models (of a Roman villa; the city of Rome and Viroviacum in ancient times with the Roman army camp, roman road and Gallo-Roman village) and figures with Celtic and Roman clothing. A Roman soldier would off course be one of the main attractions (it would be extra nice if the volunteers of our Gallo-Roman weekend could dressed up with those close).

After searching on the net for firms that make Roman soldiers costumes - without a real result - I've ended up here. I'm looking for information about where to buy (parts) of the soldiers clothes & equipement, or for making certain items ourselves (shield or so). The hard part is we want it to look as historical correct as possible but not to expencive for our limited budget (so it doesn't have to be all handmade).

Greetings,

Jo Vansteenkiste
Viroviacum Romanum

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 09-25-2006

Van harte welkom op RAT Jo!

Re: New recruits - Robert - 09-25-2006

Hi Jo, welcome,

When wanting to make things yourself, I have found the site of legio XX in the US to be most helpfull. The legionary handbook tells you a lot!! It's important to pick a period for your re-enactment, use uniforms/equipment progress over time and you don't want to become the scrapyard/fleemarket of Roman times. Big Grin They also have a list of suppliers, there is one in France, Armae.com, which seems to give discounts to RAT members. I have recently ordered some samples staight from Deepeeka, check the thread on RAT. If any quantity is needed, we are thinking of doing so again and as you are in Belgium (and thus a neighbor), perhaps we could help. Air freight is pretty expensive!

Re: New recruits - Robert - 09-25-2006

Post for Tom Ross,

Recently a (vexi??) forlet was uncovered in Holland, close to a castellum. I obtained the excavation diagram and the measurements, as wel as a reconstruction drawing which made good sense over all. It's a more or less temporary structure with earthworks and a pallisade, plus a nice central structure housing a centuri, but looks fine and is a managable project in cost. I did some calculations on it and it could be build for less than 100.000 euro, but if you build it yourselves probably a whole lot less. It was decked in slate !! If you are interested, drop me a mail and I'll send the data over!

Re: New recruits - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 09-25-2006

Welcome to all new members.
This is THE place for all things Roman.
Hope you enjoy your time here.

Re: New recruits - Ludens - 09-25-2006

Quote:Hi Jo, welcome,

When wanting to make things yourself, I have found the site of legio XX in the US to be most helpfull. The legionary handbook tells you a lot!! It's important to pick a period for your re-enactment, use uniforms/equipment progress over time and you don't want to become the scrapyard/fleemarket of Roman times. Big Grin They also have a list of suppliers, there is one in France, Armae.com, which seems to give discounts to RAT members. I have recently ordered some samples staight from Deepeeka, check the thread on RAT. If any quantity is needed, we are thinking of doing so again and as you are in Belgium (and thus a neighbor), perhaps we could help. Air freight is pretty expensive!

Thanks for the info. Making things ourselves would be a lot of work I guess (it would be great to have everything by our next gallo-roman weekend).
I'll have to discuss the exact period with Viroviacum Romanum.
I've checked Armae.com and Soulofthewarrior.com and found most of the "basic equipement" there (I'll need to check out the links on RLQM.com though). The 20% discount sounds very interesting. Smile If I'm on this forum, does it mean I'm a member?

I'll have to compare all sellers on various items, ask them for quotations and let the council deside on the matter. So it might take some time before we're ready to order.

I've seen reenactors on our Gallo-Roman weekend & our Castellum-Viroviacum Legionairres March. My first idea was to put a figure of a Roman soldier (1st century BC, because that's the era the village of Virovios was conquered by the Romans). Then i thought it would be cool to let one of our volunteers wear the soldier outfit on our events (since I'm the youngest one I gues I would be the perfect quy for it, lol).

But first I'll need the agreement of Viroviacum Romanum and the money of the city council of Wervik