RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Robert - 09-25-2006

Hi Jo,

Mail me (this no being the place for a thread), but keep with the forum for info. It makes a world of difference whether you want a "regular" legionary (mostly wearing segmentata, square scutum and all) or an auxiliary (mostly in hamata, clippeus shield and no pilum but light spear). Check on the unit that occupied the village.
There are so many great people out there willing to give you advice, the site of legio xx has a lot of really great info, I will not (as a novice) attempt to advise you. A one off order to Armae will most likely fill your needs. good luck with your group and museum Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Ludens - 09-25-2006

Quote:Hi Jo,

Mail me (this no being the place for a thread), but keep with the forum for info. It makes a world of difference whether you want a "regular" legionary (mostly wearing segmentata, square scutum and all) or an auxiliary (mostly in hamata, clippeus shield and no pilum but light spear). Check on the unit that occupied the village.
There are so many great people out there willing to give you advice, the site of legio xx has a lot of really great info, I will not (as a novice) attempt to advise you. A one off order to Armae will most likely fill your needs. good luck with your group and museum Big Grin

Okay, mail is on the way.
Don't worry, I'm less then a novice. To bad I din't have a simple tunica and sandals last sunday, then at least I could be a servant to the re-enactors :wink:

Re: New recruits - Ludens - 09-28-2006

I just wanted to say that Marcus Mummius has been a magnificent help with my quest, so he deserved my laude :wink:

Re: New recruits - Marcus Mummius - 09-28-2006

Thanks mate, and welcome to RAT! You'll not be disappointed. Your thirst for knowledge will be easily satisfied by this excelent forum!

Vale,
Jef

Re: New recruits - Phocks - 09-28-2006

Salute,

Hi, my name is Damien Fox, from Tempe, Arizona. I've been a fan of all things Roman since I was very young. Recently been thinking of getting into re-enacting and I found this site. I have BA in history, but currently I'm working IT, though I'm also in the Army Reserve (not so looking forward to a trip to the environs of Dura-Europos in the not-so-distant future). Anyway, I've just started to put together some kit, but I'd love to get in contact with any groups here in Arizona - haven't found anything so far.

By the way, since it seems that a good Roman name is a necessity for a re-enactor, how does Secondus Viridius Hibernicus look for a common legionnaire from the 1st Century AD? Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks
Damien

Re: New recruits - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 09-28-2006

Salve,Damien(Viridius).
Sounds like a perfectly good name to me. I know you'll enjoy your time
here. Welcome.

New here - Licinus - 10-03-2006

My name's Sean and I'm relatively new to the Roman time period, though not to reenacting... I've been involved in the War of 1812 and the French and Indian War for 15 years.

A few friends from my other groups have formed a Contubernium from the Legio Secunda Augusta located in Windsor , Ontario.

Like the site... I'm very impressed with the great amount of info here and am looking forward to more.

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 10-03-2006

Salve Sean,

welcome to RAT!

Re: New recruits - JRSCline - 10-03-2006

Always nice to see another Canuck, welcome Sean!

Re: New recruits - TexasCowboy - 10-10-2006

Howdy from the great state of Texas

I am Jeremy Scott. Im 26yrs old and live in Houston, Texas. I've been a total history nut forever. I got interested in Roman History after I saw Gladiator and Atilla The Hun. I know it sounds silly, but I know a lot about a little and a little about a lot.

God Bless

Jeremy

Re: New recruits - Nathan Beal - 10-10-2006

My name is Nathan I am 28 from Nottingham, England and have been re-enacting (mostly conquest period anglo-norman and 'viking' stuff) since late 1997.

I have recently started playing with a very nice bunch of early romano-british & celtic types (www.vicus.org.uk) and am looking to learn a little more (so will mostly be lurking i suspect).

Re: New recruits - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 10-10-2006

Wellcome to all you!

Don't hesitate to post anything of our common interest.

The RAT still's growing. We have yet a cohors miliaria, and in a short time, A LEGIO. :lol:

Re: New recruits - Robert - 10-11-2006

Nathan and all others, welcome to our "Roman community".

I like the site of the Vicus! Has anyone picked up on the Batavians stationed at Vindolanda as an axillia unit?? Great stuff for a late first century unit in Britain, where they were sent after causing havoc along the Limes in 69/70 AD.

Welcome Stefanus - Primitivus - 10-14-2006

Quote:My interest in things Roman is mainly concerned with Roman Britain, but after visiting Italy a couple of times recently, I have started to get up to speed with other parts of the Empire as well. Looking forward to getting involved a bit more here.
Good to have you aboard. You are so fortunate to live within ready reach of so much Roman history. I treasured my three years in the UK. Had an opportunity to visit Roman sites in Germany as well... but Italy and the rest of the empire remain on my list of future dreams.

Welcome Adam - Primitivus - 10-14-2006

Quote:I'm fascinated in Late Republican politics and I'm a big fan of Sulla. I believe he gets too much bad press!
Welcome to RAT. Even a man like Sulla deserves a committed advocate. Smile I look forward to your (ancient) political posts.