RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: Welcome Jo - Ludens - 10-25-2006

Quote:
Viroviacum:11v0t5p1 Wrote:The museum is not a succes because it's not very attractive. Our Gallo-Roman Weekend on the other hand is a real hit (with visitors from all over Belgium, France, Holland, Germany, UK...). I think it's because our Gallo-Roman Weekend makes ancient Gallo-Roman live more "alive" then the pottery in the museum.
There certainly is quite a difference between the two, isn't there? Still, there are many of us who can even be inspired by modest displays of familiar Roman materials such as pottery and common bronze coinage... Welcome to RAT.

Those people realy interested in roman history can be pleased with modest dsplays, but I'm thinking in a broader way. Comic books like "Asterix" and "Alex" aren't always historical correct (real historicans often shudder if they read those commics), but they can inspire people - like me - to learn more about Roman history. Our Gallo-Roman Weekend (with the reconstructions and more popular approach of roman history) reach a lot op people who would never go to that small city-museum, with the real roman materials in modest displays. The city council will never invest in a museum with only a few visitors. So I want to reach out for those visitors by making the museum more attractive with historical correct reconstruction of daily Gallo-Roman live and Roman military live. I hope that will bring the museum more visitors, so the city council will invest in it.

Re: New recruits - Marcus - 10-25-2006

Greetings,
My name is Marcus and I managed to find my way to RAT. I am a reenactor of other periods, primarily WW2 German and have long been impressed with the various Roman Army displays and encampents I've seen at several timeline events here in Southern California. On to the required portion:

- where are you from? > Born and raised in Los Angeles suburbs and currently living in North San Diego county.

- how'd you become interested in Rome?> After seeing the local chapters of Roman reenactors at military timeline events I am considering giving it a shot. I don't know a whole lot about Roman subjects so this is all very new to me, however I do respect the profound influence the Roman military machine has had on history.

- why are you here?> Hopefully to start learning the basics and perhaps make some contacts with local chapters, unfortunately I was unable to speak with the units at the last event.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?> YES! I have been involved with reenacting since I was 15(28 now) in American Civil War, WW1 and WW2. I have several other impressions that I keep around for TV/Film work as well. I am all about getting right and accurate. I was in the Marine Corps for 8yrs and now work in Civil Service.

Well that's me and I'm looking forward to learning something new.

Re: New recruits - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 10-25-2006

Welcome all new recruits.Nice to see the Legions grow.

Hi again to Saul, whom I met last week-end at Castra Romana.
Legionaire and gladiator.

Gauis \'from abroad\'.... - Gauis Peregre - 10-25-2006

Hail, my friends..
i am Adrian and i am new to this wonderful forum. I hope i can both learn something and contribute...
I have been living in Sweden for nearly three years, and together with my good friend Martin ( Tjena Gubben!) Have formed a fledgling society based on Cohors IIII Dalmaticus. Looking forward to meeting you all!
Adrian

Re: New recruits - TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 10-25-2006

Salue Peregre! And welcome!

You'll surely find bread for your teeth here! Big Grin

Vale,

Re: New recruits - FAVENTIANVS - 10-25-2006

Quote:Ok!!!!
:o o o

One person to RAT born in Puerto Rico, and now lives in Catalonia. 8)
In a spanish civil war, a lot of people go to France, Germany, and more people to Puerto Rico and Mexico!
Yeah, he's a freak.
BTW, I don't think many reds exiled to Germany during Spanish Civil War - WWII... :roll:

Re: New recruits - GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-26-2006

Quote:[Yeah, he's a freak.
BTW, I don't think many reds exiled to Germany during Spanish Civil War - WWII... :roll:

ok.... few years later, it's true!! :? ?

:wink:

Re: New recruits - GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-26-2006

Welcome Adrian and Marcus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome Stephen - Primitivus - 10-26-2006

Quote: Nice to find others interested or rather besotted with the Romans. I have always been fascinated and now have a nice collection of collectables and artefacts, many replicas such as the range of helmets and armour which adourn my office. Though I would love an authentic helmet or sword, the $300,000 price tags are somewhat out of reach.
"Besotted" is a very picturesque image, and probably quite accurate. I share your sentiments above. I find it very "inspirational" to be surrounded in my office by historical items. And, like you, my budget limits me to replicas and modest artifacts. Welcome to RAT.

Welcome Maurus - Primitivus - 10-26-2006

Quote:I am Mauricius(Maurus) Antonius and I have always been intrigued and interested in Roman history and Ancient history in general. I'm from California and looking to increase my knowledge of the Roman empire.
Glad to have you join us here at RAT. Roman history truly is fascinating, isn't it? Just learned last week that the Air Force is sending me back to CA this winter. I'll be living in the Mojave desert (NE of LA) this time. Welcome to this great community!

Welcome Saul - Primitivus - 10-26-2006

Quote:My name is Saul. I've been reenacting (on and off) for roughly two years, since the infamous Nashville event/film shoot.
Great having you join us, but I'm too new myself to RAT to be familiar with the infamous activity to which you refer... Anybody know where a dicussion of this provocative subject may appear in the RAT archives..?

Welcome Marcus - Primitivus - 10-26-2006

Quote:After seeing the local chapters of Roman reenactors at military timeline events I am considering giving it a shot. I don't know a whole lot about Roman subjects so this is all very new to me, however I do respect the profound influence the Roman military machine has had on history. ...I was in the Marine Corps for 8yrs and now work in Civil Service. Well that's me and I'm looking forward to learning something new.
You are in for a treat, learning more about the Roman war machine. It is a truly fascinating epoch. Thanks for your service in the Corps. My dad's a retired sergeant major, and I was born down there at Pendleton just a wee bit more than half a century ago.

Welcome Adrian - Primitivus - 10-26-2006

Quote:Have formed a fledgling society based on Cohors IIII Dalmaticus. Looking forward to meeting you all!
The very best of luck to you as you recruit more legionaries to preserve the memory of Rome!

Re: Welcome Jo - Primitivus - 10-26-2006

Quote:
Primitivus:12pmgulw Wrote:
Viroviacum:12pmgulw Wrote:The museum is not a success because it's not very attractive. Our Gallo-Roman Weekend on the other hand is a real hit (with visitors from all over Belgium, France, Holland, Germany, UK...). I think it's because our Gallo-Roman Weekend makes ancient Gallo-Roman live more "alive" then the pottery in the museum.
There certainly is quite a difference between the two, isn't there? Still, there are many of us who can even be inspired by modest displays of familiar Roman materials such as pottery and common bronze coinage... Welcome to RAT.

Those people really interested in roman history can be pleased with modest displays, but I'm thinking in a broader way. Comic books like "Asterix" and "Alex" aren't always historical correct (real historians often shudder if they read those comics), but they can inspire people - like me - to learn more about Roman history.

You are certainly correct. Popular images like Asterix can woo a younger audience than what many people regard as stale history. Sad to say that some individuals hold little interest in what has transpired before their own birth. Blending genuine historical materials with contemporary expressions is probably the ideal approach.

Re: Welcome Saul - SOCL - 10-26-2006

Quote:
Ter. Catalonius Luciano:3eyjve1r Wrote:My name is Saul. I've been reenacting (on and off) for roughly two years, since the infamous Nashville event/film shoot.
Great having you join us, but I'm too new myself to RAT to be familiar with the infamous activity to which you refer... Anybody know where a dicussion of this provocative subject may appear in the RAT archives..?
Hard to explain, really. It happened about two years ago (nearly exact) in Nashville, Tennessee wherein Jarry Barbosa paid (hotel) for a great many Roman re-enactors to assemble as extras in the filiming of a movie trailer (The Charioteer I believe it was called). I use "infamous" in a rather affectionate way as it was a great amount of fun, not to mention my very first event. :lol: