RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Welcome Marshall - Primitivus - 11-21-2006

Quote:I also have ambitions to reenact, my dearest wish being to assemble a unit of 200 men (I forget the real word) for a unit of Companion Calvary.
A glorious dream... one fit for an emperor!

Welcome Eric - Primitivus - 11-21-2006

Quote:I am part of a Sports Reenactment group, the Kingdom of Praelia.
I checked out the Kingdom's website. Quite interesting... and eclectic! Glad to hear that Rome resonates with many members of the organization.

Welcome Marrucino - Primitivus - 11-21-2006

Quote:I make excuses for my bad English
No apologies necessary. Welcome to RAT. You'll find an informed, supportive, and gracious community here. (P.S. - your English is fine, and will doubtless improve as you participate.)

Welcome Stefan - Primitivus - 11-21-2006

Quote:My name is Stefan, I'm from southern Germany, age 33. Since 5 years I do living history as a barbarian alamannus...
Glad to have you joining us at RAT... although, for the life of me, I can't understand what Germans and Barbarians have to do with one another. Might someone enlighten me as to the connection? (And when you do, please keep in mind that my own ethnic heritage is more than a quarter Germanic!) Smile

Hello - The Eagle - 11-21-2006

Hi,

My name is Paul T and I am just starting out in Roman re-enactment. I live in Yorkshire, UK. I would be very grateful for any advice on getting kit together for mid 1st century to mid 2nd century. This is my First Post, I hope it's not the Last.

Cheers.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 11-21-2006

Hi Paul,
Welcome to RAT, i'm sure you'll find many answers here.
Just one thing - please enter your real name into your signature. It's a forum rule.

Re: New recruits - The Eagle - 11-21-2006

No problem!

Not sure how or where to enter signature. but will keep trying. Is this ok?

_______

Paul Thurston

Looks fine Paul. Big Grin

Re: New recruits - The Eagle - 11-21-2006

Easy when you know how. Who say's you can't teach an old dog new tricks! Smile

--------------------------------------

Paul Thurston

Sent you a PM.

Re: New recruits - Ulfwin - 11-22-2006

O Primitivus,

thanks for your welcome. What Germans have to do with barbarians? They write books abou them :lol: , no, sorry. I have some trouble with my English here and don't know how to express what I meanand my thoughts were maybe like that: "I do an Alamannus early fifth century. Ah, but not a Roman soldier, but in his homeland or what he's trying to make his land, oh what the hell, call him barbarian and these Romans will understand what you mean."
My dictionary says I'd better use the term Teutonic, but for me these are earlier then the Alamanni, German is the modern inhabitant of Germany, the tribal name Alamannen is for those who speak French or Spanish not very far from their word for modern Germany. Allright, but it seems, that the term Germanic is quite clearly separated from the modern Germans, so I will use Germanic instead of Barbarian, and for my Alamannus I will use the latin words. We modern Germans are still a bit difficult in the handling of expressions like Germanic or Teutonic because of that little madman from Austria who set the world on fire some sixty years ago. But we're slowly growing out of it, I hope.

Cheers,

Stefan

Welcome Michael - Primitivus - 11-22-2006

Quote:My goal by the end of next year is to be the cool Latin teacher with the armour in his classroom.
Man, you sound like the kind of Latin teacher I would have loved to have had! Unfortunately, both of mine were at the very opposite end of the inspiring--boring spectrum. Best of luck with your final studies and preparation for graduation.

Welcome Roman - Primitivus - 11-22-2006

Quote:Emiljano my name is,originally born in Albania city of Durres (dyrrahicum on Caesars&Pompeii's era) am 24yrs old living north of usa N.H. All my friend's call me Roman, so can you
Welcome to RAT... and welcome to the U.S. as well!

Welcome Paul - Primitivus - 11-22-2006

Quote:My name is Paul T and I am just starting out in Roman re-enactment... I would be very grateful for any advice on getting kit together for mid 1st century to mid 2nd century. This is my First Post, I hope it's not the Last.
You'll find expert advice here about establishing an accurate kit. And, it's up to you not to allow this to be your final post. Wink Hope to hear much more from you.

Germanic Barbarians - Primitivus - 11-22-2006

Quote:O Primitivus, thanks for your welcome. What Germans have to do with barbarians? They write books abou them :lol:
Stefan, you know of course I was only joking. But your lucid and good-natured response is much appreciated. With "civilized" (or shall I more accurately say, "ethnocentric") eyes, many other people appear to be "barbarians." Yet, when viewed from within their own culture, the lens is often reversed.