RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - The Eagle - 11-22-2006

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

It's good to know that there is such a large interest in the subject. Before my first post I looked at the various forums and quickly found out that it can be a minefield finding authentic equipment. Are there any other makers besides Deepeeka? and are they ok. I get the impression from the forums that they are generally very good.

The Eagle

Re: New recruits - gerakas - 11-22-2006

As instructed, I'll post my new recruit blurb here...
Thanks to Paul Allen, I have been introduced to this site. I'm a big believer in preserving history and not destroying it in the name of progress and economic development. I'd like to see an organized movement to petition the government to preserve historic battlefields in Greece specifically, but generally elsewhere as well. Re-enactment clubs or other enthusiast societies are certainly good candidates to start this petition, but not much will be done unless ministers and parliament get on our side as well. I don't want to see smokestacks and factories on historic land, but I don't believe anyone is really thinking about this danger today, and I don't believe all battlefields have been designated as "archaeological sites" to date. Let's make some noise about preserving thousands of years of history before it's too late.

Giannis

Re: New recruits - Ioannis - 11-22-2006

Welcome aboard Gianni! It's always a pleasure seeing more patriotes joining our ranks! I have to say that I share your thoughts; I'm also very worried about the state of preservation of ancient battlefieds in Greece.

Welcome Giannis - Primitivus - 11-23-2006

Quote:I'm a big believer in preserving history and not destroying it in the name of progress and economic development. I'd like to see an organized movement to petition the government to preserve historic battlefields in Greece specifically, but generally elsewhere as well.
Glad to have you as part of RAT... where I'm sure the vast majority of our members concur with your opinion on preservation. Here in America it is a travesty how little public money is devoted to preserving historic battlefields. There is only so much private funding that can be collected, and too many battlefields have been completely "developed" over the years.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 11-23-2006

Hi Gianni,

Your goals have my full support! We don't want a McDonalds or a parking lot on the spot where people died fighting for freedom.

Hello! - vandevere - 11-23-2006

I feel like a neophyte here. All of you people here seem to know so much about Rome.

Me, I've got a generalist knowledge of Rome, and want to learn a little more...

Vandevere

New here - cstayton - 11-23-2006

Even though I have been a member I have been, neglectful in posting please forgive me. I would like to start a legion here on the east coast.
Virginia especially.... look forward to being a part of the board now.

Charlie Stayton
Williamsburg Virginia

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 11-23-2006

Welcome to both of you!

Welcome Vandevere - Primitivus - 11-23-2006

Quote:I've got a generalist knowledge of Rome, and want to learn a little more...
Glad to have you as part of the community... Doubt that you'll learn a "little" more here--more likely that you'll learn a lot! Smile

Welcome Charlie - Primitivus - 11-23-2006

Quote:I would like to start a legion here on the east coast. Virginia especially.... Charlie Stayton, Williamsburg Virginia
Great aspiration... and right there in one of America's most historic settings. (Williamsburg is a wonderful area.)

Re: New recruits - maius - 11-25-2006

Greetings to all,

My name is Bill and i live in Astoria, Oregon USA.

I have been a re-enactor for the past 20 years, Civil War, Indian Wars, and WWII. I would like to do Roman re-enacting or living history, but there are no groups in Oregon as far as i know.

A couple of years ago i started collecting 1/6th scale action figures, (dolls). I picked up a couple of Roman legionaries and reworked them to look more correct. This resparked my interest in the Roman Army. I have now completed 2 conturbeniums with their Centurion, Signifer, and Vexillarius. I'm working on a pack mule and a mulio.

I have been doing a lot of reading and research on Rome and know that i can learn a lot by being a member of this group.

Bill Lund

Welcome Bill - Primitivus - 11-25-2006

Quote:A couple of years ago i started collecting 1/6th scale action figures, (dolls). I picked up a couple of Roman legionaries and reworked them to look more correct. This resparked my interest in the Roman Army. I have now completed 2 conturbeniums with their Centurion, Signifer, and Vexillarius. I'm working on a pack mule and a mulio.
Interesting hobby. Welcome to RAT.

Re: New recruits - Bhuark - 11-25-2006

Hello everyone,

My name is Jesse Barmettler, in good ole Georgia, USA. My friends label me as obscure trivia guy, which I guess is true. One of my passionate topics ( besides common sense Tongue ) is military history, particularly antiquities armies of all sorts.
I've just been blown away by the members' who actually cite works. A first forum that I've come across where it seems like more than just a handful of people are doing it. There's lots of good information out there and I want to thank all those who spare their time, effort and library cards for spreading the knowledge-love around.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 11-25-2006

Hi Jesse,

Welcome to RAT! Yes, the 'sources-rule' is sometimes forgotten, but it's what we strive for.

Re: New recruits - Et tu brute - 11-25-2006

Welcome to RAT Jesse, hope you like It here Big Grin