RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Welcome Jesse - Primitivus - 11-25-2006

Quote:I've just been blown away by the members' who actually cite works. A first forum that I've come across where it seems like more than just a handful of people are doing it.
That certainly is one of the most impressive things about RAT. Many of the people here are thoroughly familiar with the latest (authoritative) research on a wide range of Roman subjects. (In fact, some of them have actually authored some of those volumes.) Where the evidence is not yet definitive, however, you will enjoy a energetic debate on the subject...

Re: New recruits - Renius - 11-25-2006

Hello everyone, my name is Greg German and I'm glad to become a member of RAT. Like Maius(Bill) who also recently joined, I'm into 1:6 scale modeling of Imperial Legionaries(like playing with dolls). Another member ComeinNighthawk posted a link with pictures of some of my Romans in the Games and Modeling section of the Recreational Arena. I'd love to become a reinactor if only their was a group out here on the frontier. The info and dicussions found here are nothing short of GREAT.

Re: New recruits - maius - 11-25-2006

Primitivus, thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to all that i'll learn by being a member of RAT.

I'm glad to see that my friend Renius/Greg has joined. As he stated we've been working together on doing a Legion in 1/6th.

Hey Greg, maybe we should think about starting our own Legion re-enactment group here in the Northwest.

Maius/Bill Lund

Welcome Greg - Primitivus - 11-25-2006

Quote:I'd love to become a reinactor if only their was a group out here on the frontier.
Yes, the Pacific Northwest is a bit like the distant "frontier" when considering the location of the Eternal City. However, if they can reenact Rome's glory in Japan, they can certainly do it here in a land which traces much of its heritage directly back to Rome.

Re: New recruits - Aremus - 11-30-2006

Greetings and salutations!

My name is Vance Kirk and I live in Northeast Mississippi, at MS State Univ. most of the time. All my life I've been sort of interested in religious and military history and the Roman era has always fascinated me, but I have never gotten around to learning about it. I've been working on creating old types of armor for about 5 years now as a hobby, maille mostly, but i have recently created some lamellar armor, but nothing historically accurate. As winter holidays approached and I had free time, I figured it was time to start on a new piece for my collection and since I was getting a bit burnt out on maille, I decided it was about time to look into the Roman legion. I decided on a scutum for the project and started researching... and researching... and researching, and now I am completely embedded in researching the Roman army. With 3 weeks before I can get to my shop at home, what better way to hold of the anticipation of working on the shield than to start learning about the period?

So just figured I'd pop in and introduce myself to what seems to be the only roman community I can find in this part of the US.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 11-30-2006

Hi Vance,

Welcome to the forum! Glad to welcome another researcher - you'll find you won't be without people to talk to.

Welcome Vance - Primitivus - 12-01-2006

Quote:I decided on a scutum for the project and started researching... and researching... and researching, and now I am completely embedded in researching the Roman army.
A wonderful place to be (immersed in research related to Rome's military). Yes, you will certainly find a wealth of authoritative data here. Glad to have you aboard.

Re: New recruits - S AUFIDIUS - 12-08-2006

Hello everybody, salvete omnes!

After some time of silent reading I join you now (invited by Medusa).
My name is Rainer and I live on the german-netherlands border near Aachen.
Since I was young (long long ago :roll: ) I was interested in history, starting with Asterix, later Connolly, even later more scientific books.
Since this year I'm active in reenactment, but still at the very beginning.

Nice to find "romans" from all over the world here.

Valete.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 12-08-2006

Hello Rainer,

Welcome to RAT! Are you active in a group?

Welcome Rainer - Primitivus - 12-09-2006

Quote:Since I was young (long long ago :roll: ) I was interested in history, starting with Asterix, later Connolly, even later more scientific books.
I trust you are still interested in Asterix. Lots of fun... even though it does not present the legions in the best of lights.

Re: New recruits - outlawstar15a2 - 12-09-2006

Hmmm, could've swore I had an account here already. Perhaps it was deleted. Avi! Admins, Mods, and fellow Users. I am glad to visit once more and be back. My name is Joseph and I first stumbled onto this forum when I first bought Rome: Total War and I've been visiting ever since however I've been away a long time and I believe this placed moved again. But I feel glad to be back.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 12-09-2006

Dear Joseph,

Welcome back. Please add your real name to your signature. It's a forum rule.

Re: New recruits - Dornicus - 12-10-2006

Heh, guess I should've posted here first, but here I go anyway.

My name's Mike, and I'm from Louisville, Kentucky.

I became interested in Rome because I took a college-level world history course as a 10th grader, and we learned about Mediterranean history. I was particularly interested in the Roman generals -- why were they considered such geniuses? We weren't given anecdotal evidence of these generals being clever, but my curiosity was eating me alive, so I began devouring every book on the subject that I could find, and was hooked. Now, I don't think I'll ever be able to stop...and certainly hope I never do.

I was here, originally, for a couple simple questions about gear, but you guys are so nice and knowledgeable, I decided I'd stick around.

I don't re-enact...yet, but, hopefully, will be doing so in the near future. I am a student, but not one of Roman history (yet), unfortunately.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 12-10-2006

Hi Mike,

Welcome to RAT (in the proper plaece Big Grin )!.
Of course you are a student of Roman history - you're reading the books, right?

Anyway, don't fret about the signature, first name's OK too.
We'll send a cohort by your house the day you turn 18 to ask you for your last name! :twisted:

New recruits - jonwr - 12-10-2006

Hi
My name is Jon Ractliffe. I'm an ex-pat Brit living in the US.
I came to living history through the ranks of the French and Indian War groups.
I was a member of a hard core group that did mostly living history and serious gear and weapons/kit testing.
My interest now would be Rome's enemies and allies. Mainly the middle east campaigns and western Europe.
These days I spend more time reading than doing but I need to get out more.
Unfortunately there are no Roman groups in my area.
Regards
Jon Ractliffe