RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - The Eagle - 01-26-2007

Salve Christophe

Welcome to RAT. I am sure you will find everything you need in this forum.

Re: New recruits - Faerienn - 01-26-2007

Failte Wink

I'm not a legion member. But sometimes I'm drinking wine with Romans, for example in Biskupin last summer Wink

Far, far away from.. everywhere.. Wink lies a little country, called Poland Wink In 4th july 2004 Celtica Society was born there. We're trying to reconstruct Celtic culture [especially from Gallic War times], based on archeological founds from whole Europe and sometimes from our land. Now I'm Celtic weaver/dyer/dressmaker/herbalist... and I'm very proud of it Wink I'm also PhD student [finishing my doctorate, yeah!]. I'm concerned with material siences. Oh, I'm also loved in dancing Irish and Scottish dances. But not during an archeological fests, ofcourse Wink

What am I doing here? Just looking around Wink Maybe one day I'll present some weaving goods of me for all of you. If I gain your trust, first Smile

greets for all

Re: New recruits - aitor iriarte - 01-26-2007

Katarzyna,
Welcome to RAT! Big Grin
Do you weave on vertical, weighted loom using tablet-woven starting border and selvedges? 8)

Aitor

Re: New recruits - Faerienn - 01-26-2007

Quote:Do you weave on vertical, weighted loom using tablet-woven starting border and selvedges? 8)

Hi Aitor Smile
For now I'm good in tablet weaving and many other techniques of making woven belts and strings. But this winter I'm going to make some cloths, you've said. I have a vertical loom and I can weave quite good selvedges. So, I just have to connect this techniques Wink I know the technology quite well, I just have to make it. If you're interested, I'll let you know about results of my experiment until march Wink
greets

Re: New recruits - Branwynn - 01-26-2007

Failte,
I'm not a Legion member, either.
Actually, I'm from the same group, Celtica, as Faerienn is. By the by it is from her that I got a link in hereSmile
Who am I? Basically I'm aquiring knowledge of an Ovate, a lower-class Druid. I am quite new to re-enactment so most of my interests concern history, mostly Scottish and Irish one, as well as knotworking. In addition, the same as Faerienn I'm in love with Scottish and Irish dancing.
I am so in love with Scotland that my B.A., which I'm writing just now, concerns Scotland Smile

Re: New recruits - aitor iriarte - 01-26-2007

Many thanks for the information, Katarzyna (Fludzinska) Big Grin
I'll love to see some herringbone or diamond twill... 8)

Welcome to RAT, Katarzyna (Klimas) Big Grin

Aitor

Re: New recruits - Branwynn - 01-27-2007

Thanks AitorSmile
I must admit that with every passing moment I like your forum more. I can't get away from reading more and more, which is mostly good. Certainly I'll dig in more thoroughly when I'm not so overburdened with every-day matters.Wink

cheers

Re: New recruits - Richard Wynne - 01-28-2007

Salve!

My name is Richard Wynne. I am an American living in the UK, and whilst interested in Roman military history for years finally getting around to doing some Roman re-enactment. I have dabbled in other periods, both here and back in the States. Thinking of joining "Vicus" with my girlfriend (she is into Britons oddly enough) and getting heavily involved in events this year.

Any suggestions, advice and input welcome. Like most "newbies" I am keen to getting all kitted out but being slightly "salty" from other periods know the risk of buying the wrong kit (farb!). So, that said...help!

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 01-28-2007

Welcome to the forum Richard!

Re: New recruits - Robert - 01-28-2007

And here is me thinking the fora are only filled with gladius swinging, armor toting masculine Roman macho's :wink: and then look what turns up: Not one but TWO Katarzyna's , Celtic weaver and druide. A heartly welcome from a newbie Germanic auxilliari Big Grin , who may become an archer yet, to you both and of course to Richard as well!

Welcome Richard - Gaius Longius - 01-28-2007

Salvete Richard
Welcome to the forum.

If your keen to try Roman in wales you could always try the VIII Augustan www.roman.org or my own unit based in Chester "Deva Victrix" www.romantoursuk.com .

Hope to meet you out there.

Gary.

Re: New recruits - Renicus Ferrarius - 01-29-2007

Salve, everyone. My name is Stephen Renico.

- where are you from?
Michigan, near the post-apocalyptic urban wasteland of Detroit

- how'd you become interested in Rome?
I studied history in college and have continued for the last 16 years. But (now, I know I'll hear groans, due to the liberties the writers took with history) I just finished watching Season One of "Rome", and I was quite disappointed in myself for having to go back and look up so many facts.

- why are you here?
Someone over at Sword Forum International said this was a good place to learn.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?
I make knives as a hobby. I suppose I could make a pugio, a cultellus, or a novacula. ;-) )

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 01-29-2007

Welcome to RAT, Stephen!

Re: New recruits - Richard Wynne - 01-30-2007

Gary,

Thats a great set-up you have there, I am very impressed. If my partner was not so dead set to do a Briton impression I would be tempted to commit to your group but as is, Vicus should allow me to get my Roman drill and her to get her British crafts.

That said I am sure we will run into each other and I look forward to it.

salve! - tortous - 01-30-2007

hello everyone.
my name is riccardo taruffi - Parma - Italy.
i'm na newby in roman reenactment (i usually live in 1200 dc... Smile ), but i want to try this new (... for me ...) era.