RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

New member - Jennifer - 02-21-2007

Salve,

- where are you from?
I'm from the US and currently live in San Antonio, Texas.

- how'd you become interested in Rome?
My interest in archaeology and military history led into an interest in Rome. I'm particularly interested in the Migration and Late classical periods.

- why are you here?
During searches for books, re-enactment supplies, patterns for armour, etc. I came across this forum several times. On those occasions what I read was very helpful. Currently I'm looking for resources on personal accounts (in addition to Marcellinus') of the Battle of Adrianople, and again, my search led me here. I decided to join.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?
I participate in activities with the SCA. Aside from the casual interpretation of history that the SCA can take, I enjoy it. Currently due to my work and school schedule I spend less time in garb and more time studying or researching.

Jennifer Minor

Smile

Re: New recruits - FAVENTIANVS - 02-21-2007

Another Late folk!!!! Hurra!!! Big Grin

new member - stilicho - 02-21-2007

Just wanted to say hi to my fellow roman enthusiasts.

My name is Stilicho and i reside in the USA.

Re: New recruits - FAVENTIANVS - 02-22-2007

Hi and welcome Stilicho!

Re: New recruits - SOCL - 02-22-2007

Quote:hello everyone. I attended the Pompeii event in Mobile, Alabama roughly two weeks ago. I had a great time and look forward to the next event! Also, I am glad to be here and hope to learn a lot and make many friends.
Good to see you on here, Wade. I thought if I pushed enough you'd join. :wink:

Welcome, all! Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Ti Cl Nero - 02-23-2007

Hello all,
My name is Carlo, I am from Milano, Italy, and Roman military history is a very attractive field to me (history-buff since birth) - though I am not involved in reenactment.
My best regards to all members.

Valete

Re: New recruits - Wes - 02-24-2007

Greetings!

My name is Wes Olson, I live just outside of St. Louis, Missouri. I have been a long time French and Indian and Revolutionary War re-enactor, but have always been interested in Medieval and Ancient Roman eras. I got recruited by a friend who is with AD43.....looks like its going to be a great time. Now to sell all of my stuff for the 42nd Highland regiment and get some Roman stuff. Thanks!

Respectfully,

Wes Olson

Re: New recruits - Martin Wallgren - 02-25-2007

wellcome guys! Hope you have a good time here on RAT.

Re: New recruits - Wes - 02-25-2007

Thanks! Does anybody have any extra gear they wish to part with??

Re: New recruits - Ti Cl Nero - 02-25-2007

Thanks Martin

Vale

Re: New recruits - xrubio - 03-01-2007

Hi all!
My name is Xavier Rubio and I'm a researcher of the University of Barcelona focused on military history. I'm working on my thesis, related to ancient warfare in the region of Hispania, trying to study new techniques of archeology of war applied to antiquity, and the use of Geographical Information Systems and Game Theory to get a better understanding of the war in the ancient world.

Moreover, I'm a computer wargame developer inside Hyperborea Studios, and our first project is the creation of a game related to ancient naval warfare called Galley Battles: from Salamis to Actium ( http://www.galleybattles.com ).

I expect to have a good time visiting these forums and learn with your comments! Smile

Xavi

Re: New recruits - TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 03-01-2007

Salue Xavier!

Good time? That's for sure... Big Grin Welcome to RAT!

Vale,

Re: New recruits - Amalric - 03-02-2007

Hello! I currently reside in a little tourist town called Gatlinburg, TN. However, that will change as soon as I head off to college next year. I was originally interested in medieval history, but got into Roman reenacting when I entered high school and found several people there who were trying to start a Roman reenacting group. I joined them and turned my studies towards the Germanic tribes who fought against Rome. That group eventually turned into Legio V Alaudae, which I am proud to be a member of. I am here to learn more about the various tribes that fought Rome, both Germanic and Celtic. I would call myself an amateur reenactor who tries his best to look professional. (^_^)

Re: New recruits - Laurie Wise - 03-03-2007

Salve

MMmmmm. I forgot to post an introduction when I first came here nearly nine days ago. Where to begin the bona fides?

I live in rural Southwest Arizona where I help my husband, Kirby Wise-Fraser, in his 50 year old Arms and Armour business. He uses traditional methods to handforge his weaponry and any armour still made on special order.

Ever since I can remember, I have always been interested in Ancient history. Beginning in the early 50s watching all those great Hollywood Historical Epics up on the Big Screen. Was encouraged to read early and became an avid reader to learn more ever since. This led me to joining the Society for Creative Anachronism in 1971 while in college. Since then I have been involved with other reenactment impressions (Civil War, Mountain Man) with my husband, Kirby Wise-Fraser FSA Scot. Kirby has been a member of the SCA since 1968. (We are both Laurels.)

We were married in 1972 and for the last 35 years, I have been chief clerk, typist, historical research and chief bottle washer. That is when not designing artwork and making same to decorate the weaponry or armour. Otherwise, have raised two children (son 24 and daughter 21). Our son helps his father in the shop when not working as a County Park Ranger (hence "& Son" added to the company name)

Kirby also a member of the Scottish Clan Fraser a chartered Sept of the Clan Fraser of Lovat since 1966. He was warranted Clan Armourer by the Late 18th Lord Lovat, Simon Fraser, 24th Chief of the Clan in 1979. This was reconfirmed by the 25th Chief, Christopher Fraser, upon his majority after his Grandfather's death. In 2003, Kirby was voted a Fellow into the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (FSA Scot.) I was voted the same shortly after.

In 1996 after our rural area was finally "connected", a friend put up a website for Kirby and maintains it. The photos show only a few of the many items Kirby has made over the years (including Roman and Greek) The Internet has become a huge resource tool for historical research (good and bad) A window to take you where you could only read about going before. Well, close enough to visit.

But it's not all serious work as I do play some PC games, mostly history oriented. This led me to learning about a Viking based 3rd person action game by Human Head Studios in early 2000. Found the offical website and been helping Administrate Runegame.com, the Offical Website of RUNE/Rune:Halls of Valhalla for the last six years. When not acting as resident "Viking Answer Lady".

(Interestingly, the "Rune: Halls of Valhalla MP expansion" has a couple of Gladitorial skins and the Roman Sword is my favorite weapon.)

Oh, and I do help raise Nigerian Dwarf goats, different kinds of chickens, geese, and a peacock. Also have a wolfdog as a companion.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 03-03-2007

Wow, what a palet of interesting things! Welcome to the forum!