RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Roma Invictus - 03-18-2007

Quote:Welcome Roma.

Please enter your real name into your signature - a forum rule.
yeah, you PM'd me. and also I did. welcome from the previous newbie
Gaius Quintis Flavius

Hello Everyone! - Rex Nemorensis - 03-20-2007

Ave everyone!

Well my name is Dustin, I'm eighteen years old and currently live in Northwest Indiana, Gary in particular. I've just joined the Indiana state Air Guard and will be joining a Volunteer Fire Department soon (I like to keep myself busy and besides, the extra money helps).

Well I got into the history of ancient Rome about three maybe four years ago. My Dad got me into it, sadly I don't quite remember how but I was hooked not longer after he did. I think it probably had to do with the nostalgia, the beauty of their architecture, strength of their military and the discipline they enforced. Probably lots of reasons behind it.

I don't reenact but I would love to, if anyone knows any reenacters or anything of that nature near where I live please let me know.

Re: New recruits - Brennus - 03-21-2007

Hello, Todd here from Illinois U.S.A., 29 years old.

I've become interested in Rome through my Celtic studies, particularly that of the Gauls. I work as a mechanic and have been studying celtic history for about 15+ years as a spare time hobby. I'm here to learn from others as well as to possibly shine some of my own lite on some topics.
I do not currently re-enact but it sure sounds interesting. Just curious, are there any Celtic/Gallic re-enactment groups ? I see alot of Roman groups, but who do they re-enact with ? Thanks.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 03-21-2007

Hi Todd, hi Dustin, welcome to you both.

Welcome Steve - Primitivus - 03-21-2007

Quote:I hope i can help in some discussion!
I'm sure that you will... given your areas of expertise.

Welcome Mike - Primitivus - 03-21-2007

Quote:salve! lol.
greetings all, I honestly didn't think there was a forum like this on the net. but now I know you can truly find anything on the net
I trust you mean that in a positive way... Smile The people here at RAT are extremely knowledgeable about Rome's military exploits (and the civilization in general). They've taught me a great deal.

Greetings Sam - Primitivus - 03-21-2007

Quote:I am from San Antonio, Texas(United States). My interest in Ancient Rome came from a combination of World History and Latin Class (in school).
Great way to get started. Glad to have another member from the Republic of Texas! Smile

Welcome Dustin - Primitivus - 03-21-2007

Quote:I've just joined the Indiana state Air Guard and will be joining a Volunteer Fire Department soon (I like to keep myself busy and besides, the extra money helps).
Welcome aboard... and thanks for your patriotic service on behalf of the common good.

Re: Welcome Dustin - Rex Nemorensis - 03-21-2007

Quote:
Rex Nemorensis:1pn3yebv Wrote:I've just joined the Indiana state Air Guard and will be joining a Volunteer Fire Department soon (I like to keep myself busy and besides, the extra money helps).
Welcome aboard... and thanks for your patriotic service on behalf of the common good.

Well thank you very much. I'm attempting to become a pilot but that's four years of aviation in college so I gotta stick to my guns it seems. :wink:

Welcome Todd - Primitivus - 03-21-2007

Quote:I'm here to learn from others as well as to possibly shine some of my own lite on some topics.
There's always room for another Celt. Do feel free to use the public baths though, before interacting too closely with our more civilized members. Smile

Re: New recruits - Lion_of_Sparta - 03-25-2007

Hello all. I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

My name is Jordan and I'm from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I have been involved in Star Wars costuming and armor making for over 3 years now but it's time to make a change. I've completed 12 costumes in those 3 years; everything from Boba Fett and other mandos to a Sandtrooper to a Clonetrooper.

[Image: roman.jpg]

I've always loved Greek mythology and through movies like Troy and 300, I have developed an interest in putting a Hoplite costume together. The irony of course is that most plastic Star Wars armor is actually more expensive than metal historical armor.
Confusedhock:

At any rate, I'm looking forward to being an active and contributing member of these boards.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 03-25-2007

Hi Jordan,

Welcome to RAT! May your stay here be fruitful to all!

Just one thing left to do: please add your name into your signature - that's what we do here.

Welcome Jordan - Primitivus - 03-25-2007

Quote:I've always loved Greek mythology and through movies like Troy and 300, I have developed an interest in putting a Hoplite costume together. The irony of course is that most plastic Star Wars armor is actually more expensive than metal historical armor.
You're not the only individual interested in both the ancient world and scifi realms. Yes, it's ironic that contemporary plastic is more expensive that metallic replicas of ancient armors. An interesting reflection on society...

Re: New recruits - Tertius Mummius - 03-26-2007

Greetings, I'm Jan Hochbruck from Germania inferior, though I'm toiling in the agres decumates during the week.
I don't do a soldier's impression - yet - in fact, I don't do an impression at all at the moment, but gather my stuff and get ready to portray a pictor (yes, pun intended) as I am an Art Director in RL, and fed up with working at the computer all the time. So, please consider me a camp follower until the guys from the LIMPFD have bullied me to get some soldier's gear (and I've attended my first military event).

I have a small background in reenactment, as I've been a dutiful soldier of the 17th MO Vols. Inf. (US) for 9 years - until I broke my ankle during a "battle" which somehow put the fire out of it (this and a doctor telling me to stop detonating fireworks in my ears).

So, I'm here. Ready to learn, to discuss, to find new friends (or to rediscover some old ones) and to paint whatever I can.

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 03-26-2007

Welcome Jan and all the others I haven't especially welcomed lately! It's good to have you all here.