RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 03-26-2007

Quote:The irony of course is that most plastic Star Wars armor is actually more expensive than metal historical armor

unless, you go for the 300 look. in that case you'll only need some leather underpants. (and the chest with it...) :wink:

Re: New recruits - Marcus Mummius - 03-26-2007

Quote:
Quote:The irony of course is that most plastic Star Wars armor is actually more expensive than metal historical armor

unless, you go for the 300 look. in that case you'll only need some leather underpants. (and the chest with it...) :wink:

He said historical :wink:

Welcome to all!

Re: New recruits - K. A. Koskinen - 03-27-2007

Salvete! I'm a student of Latin and classical archaeology in the University of Helsinki, Finland, and I've been interested in the Roman army since childhood. I'm here because I have few questions to ask, but I definitely would not mind to find some new friends too.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Virilis. Smile More Finns around?

Re: New recruits - Virilis - 03-27-2007

Salvete K.A.! Welcome to the forum, it is nice to have more finns here!
This is THE PLACE :wink: !

Quote:Kiitos kiitos, mutta tällä kertaa on kyse kuitenkin Koskisen akan tyttärestä.
Huomasin onneksi tuon asian ja poistin meilin :oops: ! Me myöhäisroomalaiset ollaan jo muutenkin niin marginaalissa että pitää olla aika tarkkana sanomisissaan :wink: ...

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 03-27-2007

Darn! Babelfish don't do Suomi....

Quote:Darn! Babelfish don't do Suomi....

It was just a small inside joke, sorry about that. Few advantages of having such small language as Finnish as your native language...

Quote:Darn! Babelfish don't do Suomi....
Robert, it was something about us late romans and our marginal position making us superior beings :wink: ...

Re: New recruits - Ludens - 03-27-2007

Salve,

Here is my first attempt to impersonate a legionaire.

[Image: 1175023895922.jpg]

[Image: 1175023931194.jpg]

Never mind the XXI-th century background and the bad quality. I've made it with a cam on my computer.

With special thanks to Marcus Mummius for selling his old lorica segmentate to me.

vale,

Ioannus

Looks good, Jo! One of the things I envy as a "late roman" is your "flavian" guys with a Lorica Segmentata, looks simply smashing!

In fact I have toyed with an idea that ""...maybe some veteran coming back from the siege of Dura Europos (ad257) had his his first sassanian influenced (Tower n.19) helmet made somewhere along the route back, let`s say somewhere around the danube area. Adding some sarmatian influence to his new ridge helmet he thinks as a first thing when he gets back at Gaul that what the heck, my rusty age old seggie looks in fact quite good with this new helmet when I clean it up..." Usually at this point I wake up :wink: !

Welcome Jan - Primitivus - 03-27-2007

Quote:I have a small background in reenactment, as I've been a dutiful soldier of the 17th MO Vols. Inf. (US) for 9 years - until I broke my ankle during a "battle" which somehow put the fire out of it
Hmmm... the American Civil War too. If you've got a spare minute, check out a website I host for my great-grandfather's regiment: Fifth Iowa Cavalry [url:2rlmx5tf]http://www.scriptoriumnovum.com/c.html[/url].

Welcome K.A. - Primitivus - 03-27-2007

Quote:I definitely would not mind to find some new friends too.
Lots of friendly people here at RAT. Glad to have you joining us.

Re: New recruits - Josef - 03-28-2007

Hi im new i should have posted here earlier but who cares i did it now anyway Big Grin

im not re-enacting anything havent found anything here in sweden dont think i would afford it at the moment either plus my friends would make fun of me :oops:

anyway im happy too have found this forum since i love ancient history around the mediterranean

ive also checked that im probebly one of the youngest persons too have joined Big Grin

//josef

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 03-28-2007

welcome to RAT