RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Hi Guys - Scipio Bristolus - 04-03-2007

Just joined up. Not a Roman reenactor, but done other periods for a long time.

Had a long-standing interest in Rome and the Roman Army, especially the late Republic and Punic Wars. My interest got reanimated by *that* game.....

Simon

Re: Hi Guys - Robert Vermaat - 04-03-2007

Quote:Just joined up. Not a Roman reenactor, but done other periods for a long time.

Hi Simon,

Welcome to RAT!
Remember to enter your name also into your sig? Forum rule.

Introduction - winkleried - 04-04-2007

Greetings folks...per the posting guidelines my name is Marc Adkins

- where are you from?
Norman Oklahoma

- how'd you become interested in Rome?

Not quite sure just seemed interesting I guess

- why are you here?

To gain some information on a private research research project I am doing.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?

SCA member here..but as do I do roman Army reenacting Ah No

Marc Adkins

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 04-04-2007

Hi Marc, and welcome.

Re: New recruits - winkleried - 04-04-2007

Thank you sir
Marc

Quote:Hi Marc, and welcome.

Re: New recruits - bigbuse - 04-06-2007

Hello all!
I am not a reenact-or of Ancient Rome, but I have been interested in doing something with a unit of that type near my area. My interest is more along the lines of Republic and early Imperial Rome. However, A friend and myself are trying to put together a Greek Hop-lite impression. If anyone on here knows of any units near or around the Northern, IL/ Chicago, IL area please let me know. It would help us out greatly, and we could join veterans, who could show us the ropes. That, of course, would be preferable to starting from scratch. I would appreciate any tips or helpful insight into some of the more subtle workings of an ancient Greek Hop-lite unit.

I'm looking forward to meeting new people who share my common interests.

Thank you

Re: New recruits - caiusscipio - 04-06-2007

New guy here,
Ive been mostly interested in the period of time, right when the Romans left the northern areas near mediobogdum, Hadrian's wall, glavennetta (sp) etc. actually in all honesty im a scatterbrain and would have a persona that would cover it all if i could :-) ) anyways i just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Neil / Caius Scipio

Re: New recruits - Marius_Ursus - 04-06-2007

Salvete, Caius. You'll find this community a great font of knowledge.

Re: New recruits - Oldpagan - 04-06-2007

Warm Greetings
To answer the question in the first post of this thread -

“Where are you from?â€

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 04-07-2007

welcome to RAT!

Re: New recruits - Roy - 04-07-2007

Greetins, new here Smile

I've been interested in the Roman & Greek military for quite some time now, too bad I didn't find this forum earlier.
It seems that unlike any other Roman history forum, there're a lot of experts here Smile

Re: New recruits - Chris21 - 04-07-2007

Hello everyone.

My name is Chris Paskert from Riverview, Florida, USA
A former Army Officer who is now working as an assistant director for a local passion play.
From the looks of things this looks like a great forum for learning.
This year I built my first SCUTUM. Of course it is a play prop with out a budget, so the point is that it looks authentic. This next year we are going to be working on lorica segmentata, caligae, and baltevs. We do have two auxillary calvary guys who help out every year with crowd control. Everybody is loving the direction of a more authentic looking Roman detachment.

My interest in Rome is growing because I am now seeing the connections behing the idealism of Rome and some of the concepts behind the Constitution of the US. The interesting if not horrific part of the connection is the conversion of the republic into an empire. I consider myself "kin" to an early republican centurio with no real interest in senate life. just going back home with my farm which I joined to protect anyway.

I also play the part of Pontius Pilate in the play which I mentioned above and have been researching hard into roman clothing loking for historical referencees to busts, paintings, pottery etc. This years pilate costume was based loosely on a combination of the painting "Ecce homo" and a bust of Tiberius Caesar Augustus.
Sorry for being long winded but I'm excited and looking forward to getting to know everybody.

Chris Paskert

Re: New recruits - Dan Diffendale - 04-08-2007

Hi Chris and welcome to RAT! I'm sure you'll find plenty of resources here...

One thing, though -- could you resize your avatar, to no more than 115 pixels wide? Thanks!

Re: New recruits - Robbie Phillips - 04-12-2007

Hello all,
I just signed up. I have a number of years in re-enacting the Second Seminole War (1835-1842). I enjoy living history programs that interact with the public. I have interest in producing a kit for an Auxillary in the first century AD. I have been reading the posts here for over five months now and have learned alot. I'm putting a few good questions together to post soon. I look forward to chatting with everyone on both sides of the Ocean!

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 04-12-2007

Welcome to RAT, Rob.