RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Sachiko - 04-19-2007

Hello everyone,

My name is Sachiko, I'm from Asia and I'm new to this forum!

I joined because I would like to know more about the Roman Army.

I became interested in Rome after watching the Rome series on HBO, which I thought was well-written and the characters were well portrayed... well..to me at least :oops:

I love reading historical fiction too. I've recently read some books on Roman historical fiction such as Allan Massie's Caligula, Robert Graves' Claudius, Manda Scott's Boudica and Imperium by Robert Harris. I've also read Lives of the Caesars by Suetonius.

My interest is still rather "new". I'm trying to find out more about army life and also what some terms mean like.. ala or legio or primus pilus...

I am not a re-enactor Sad Unfortunately they don't have Roman re-enactments where I live although I would definitely like to take part in or see one!

I am a second year Philosophy student and will be taking my exams soon.
I also like photography and I like to do pencil portraiture.

But the "hobby" that takes up the most time for me is my adopted silky terrier. I love trying out new grooming products on him (and subjecting him to the horror of topknots) lol!

Oops.. perhaps I've talked too much and bored all the soldiers here!

Anyhoo, here are some pics of myself from a summer outing with my dog last year:

[Image: BENQ0531.jpg]
[Image: DSC_2823.jpg]

Hope to learn more about Rome and make new friends too!

Re: New recruits - aitor iriarte - 04-19-2007

Welcome to the Forum, Sachiko! Big Grin
You'll even find some samurai armour collectors here... 8)

Aitor

new - wdial - 04-20-2007

Salve,
My name is Marcus Maris Agrippa, I'm trying to get into reenacting, I've always loved Roman history and always want to learn more.

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 04-21-2007

Welcome to RAT, Sachiko and Will! Great to have you onboard. make yourself at home.

Re: New recruits - CWyre - 04-21-2007

Savlete,

I'm Chris & I'm from the midlands UK.
I re-enact with The Vicus.
Here to learn, contribute etc.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 04-21-2007

Hi Chris, welcome to RAT!

Re: New recruits - hoke - 04-22-2007

salute sachiko!

welcome to the roman world.

i hope you will find it to be full of knowledge and friendship.

wishing you well with your studies on the marvelous power that was roma.

hoke hinson/secundus
VI lego FFC

Re: New recruits - Titus Publius Saturninus - 04-24-2007

AVE!,

I Have been in New Zealand now for 8 years. Love it here this truely is an awesome country.

My family line hails from Rome but the geneology is a tad sketchy and somehow somewhere there are family records that go WWAAaayy back there who knows?

I guess it's true what they say we get too soon olt und too late schmart. All of my life even as a litol tike I was always fastenated by those dudes with red rooster dealies on their hats and those nifty horse drawn Segway scooters. Unfortunately it is only now(since I was introduced to this lovely web site) that I am spurred on to discover more about my ancestry and associated history.

I have also been a craftsman most of my days and make edged weapons and related items. Once caught up in the Japanese and European mystique my focus now falls keenly on all things Roman. Have made full suit Japanese armour and others but trying a Lorica will be refreshing I think. Taking a while trying to get the time to make dishing stumps as well.

When the shop is finally set up I will be posting some pics of my work.Tools are very modest right now so it's been a challenge.

I am honored and very happy to have found this place and hope I can possibly contribute somehow. I am here at your service. Many thanks and the very best to you all.

VIRES ET HONO
PAX ET BONUM!

Titus Publius Saturninus

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 04-24-2007

Better late than never Richard!
Welcome to the forum!

Re: New recruits - Titus Publius Saturninus - 04-24-2007

Many thanks to you Robert.
Welcome always has a nice ring to it.

Cheers,

RT

Hi - Grenadier - 04-24-2007

Just found this forum, I am trying to renew a childhood interest in Romans after reading a Simon Scarrow Novel, I have worked my way through those and now want to know the thruth behind the books if you know what I mean.

I am 42 work in IT have a young family.

Looking forward to asking questions.

Robin

Re: Hi - Robert Vermaat - 04-24-2007

Quote:I am 42 work in IT have a young family.
Me too!

Welcome to the forum Robin.

new recruit - Paullus Scipio - 04-24-2007

Hi all !!

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Paul McDonnell-Staff, and I presently live in sunny Brisbane (Australia, not Florida ).I have been interested in things Roman ( especially military history) for as long as I can remember, but have many other interests too. In a previous incarnation, I carried out much research into the roman army, and have had some of my work published in "Slingshot" ( the magazine of the "Society of Ancients") and various Wargames Research Group publications, as well as a book called "Classical Warfare" which I am pleased to hear is still in print and obtainable ( it was originally published circa 1980. ) I read with much interest the work of current researcher/authors and am in awe of the work of Bishop/Coulston and others.
I have been a passive reader of R.A.T for years, and thought it time to raise a head above the parapet !

regards to all !

Paullus Scipio

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 04-24-2007

Hi Paul,

Good of you to take the step from passive to active member!

Just one thing - could you please update your profile, add your real name, and also add your real name to your signature. It's a forum rule I'm afraid.

Re: New recruits - hoke - 04-24-2007

the gates of roma bid you enter and welcome you!

hoke hinson
secundus
VI FFC