RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - George Paleologus - 05-07-2007

Salve

Hello All- Im a newbie when it comes to this timeperiod- 34 years old and have been doing vikingreenactment, SCA combat and I ´m also a avid minituregamer since the early 80´s.
I live in the south of Sweden and currently I will put effort and time into building and recreating a Greek/ Chaldician set of armour that I will use for behourdstyle fighting ( SCA).

See you posting. Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Comerus Gallus - 05-07-2007

Quote:Salve

Hello All- Im a newbie when it comes to this timeperiod- 34 years old and have been doing vikingreenactment, SCA combat and I ´m also a avid minituregamer since the early 80´s.
I live in the south of Sweden and currently I will put effort and time into building and recreating a Greek/ Chaldician set of armour that I will use for behourdstyle fighting ( SCA).

See you posting. Big Grin

A sewden of Greek descent? Smile

Welcome George, hope to see you in the greek section as well!.

PS: I like to see those brutal SCA fights, if you have some clips if you dont mind to post it 8)

Belated Welcomes - Primitivus - 05-09-2007

Wow… I have really fallen behind in my “welcomes”. Due to a couple of brief TDYs (not to the war zone) and a light (i.e. ambulatory) case of pneumonia. Well, I’m back at home on my feet and eager to greet some of RAT’s new community members!

Welcome Josef,
Good to see a Swede joining us… and a young man at that. My own heritage is predominantly Norwegian and German, but I hope you won’t hold that against me.

Welcome Simon,
If you enjoy reenacting, and you’ve caught the Roman bug, it’s probably only a matter of time before you try out Roman reenacting.

Welcome Marc,
Glad to have another Okie aboard. My oldest son was born in Tulsa. I know that SCA activities can be a blast, but there’s a unique reward that comes from doing historically accurate reenacting.

Welcome Dustin,
You’re wise to seek the counsel of veterans in creating your impression. There are many people here at RAT whose knowledge extends beyond Rome back to the era of Greece’s greatest glory.

Welcome Neil,
I daresay you’re not the only scatterbrain here… especially in the sense of having interests that run the full gamut of Rome’s history.

Welcome Geary,
Another Oklahoman! Reminds me of the Oklahoma Land Rush. Yes, these Roman reenactors pride themselves (quite appropriately) on striving for historical accuracy. And that makes them more “serious” than others who are simply out to have a good time. (Not that the two are mutually exclusive.)

Welcome Ron,
I know what you mean about wishing you’d discovered RAT earlier… but better late than never. There is much to learn here.

Welcome Chris,
Interesting transition… from the Army to the Passion. More accurate impressions will certainly magnify the impact of the presentation. I’m an AF chaplain, preparing to retire. I’d be curious to learn more about your Army service if you’d like to PM me offline.

Welcome Robbie,
Interesting being reminded of the Seminole Wars… I recalled seeing a classic image of Osceola in my old history books. The one where he’s wearing those distinctive long ear rings. Imagine my awe when I saw that actual jewelry in the State Historical Museum in Montgomery, Alabama.

Re: New recruits - Titus Publius Saturninus - 05-09-2007

Sir Stroud!

Anywhere near Jawbone canyon? Used to go there just about every weekend when i was in Ca.

Re: New recruits - angelos - 05-09-2007

Hello Jasper,
I thank you for your warm welcome.
I present myself:
My name is Angelos Angelidis.
I 'm greek and I live in Paris.
I got into historical re-enactment last year,in a new medieval association called Excalibur-Ile de France.
I soon fell in love with history reading and specially warfare.
I am training in medieval combat and I m' taking part in European tournaments.For the moment I fight in a Byzantine leather lamellae armour,but I hope to be able soon to create a greek hoplite armour.Obviously I will need to adjust it for contact fighting,as we get to hit each other rather strongly with steel swords and axes.
The reason I wanted to inscribe in your forum is for getting more historical information,meet new people in Ancient re-enactment and get informed in any festivals organised in Europe.
I 'd really love to come and assist,meet you all personally and spend a few days in the camp.
I heard there is an ancient Greek Festival coming up in England this summer.Do you have any information on that?
I salut you all,members of this forum,and I hope to stand in phalanx next to you as soon as poss.
Angelos

Re: New recruits - AB Hammer - 05-10-2007

Greetings I am AB Hammer an armourer for over 20 years and have just joined the forum and am looking forward to posting with you all.

Jawbone Canyon - Primitivus - 05-11-2007

Quote:Sir Stroud!

Anywhere near Jawbone canyon? Used to go there just about every weekend when i was in Ca.
What a picturesque name. Yep, just south a ways, currently stationed at Edwards AFB, which is near the enormous dry lake beds here. (Alternate landing site for the space shuttles.) Another interesting nearby geographic feature is the "Devil's Punchbowl," where several major fault lines crash together. They sure can name places here in the desert, can't they?

More Welcomes - Primitivus - 05-11-2007

Welcome Sachiko,
Found it interesting that you said you’re from Asia, but not which nation. I think your name is Japanese? If so, you’ve got a lovely homeland. Visited Japan several times while I was stationed in Asia. The Imperial Gardens were particularly beautiful. I too enjoy Roman historical fiction. Here at RAT you’ll discover the facts behind the fiction.

Welcome Will,
Nice to see a Virginian joining the ranks.

Welcome Chris,
Always good to have another reenactor as part of the community.

Welcome Richard,
The pictures I have seen of New Zealand always impress me. No wonder they filmed Tolkien’s masterpiece there. Knowing your roots go all the way back to Rome is impressive! I look forward to learning more about the Roman migration to New Zealand sometime. (Yes, I realize you’ve only been there eight years.) ☺

Welcome Robin,
Learning the facts behind the fiction is enlightening. As for having a young family… savor these years with your children. It’s a cliché but true that the years pass all too quickly. Of course, being a grandparent’s a blast too!

Welcome Paul,
Glad to see you’ve moved from the (lurking) shadows to the discussion forum. Look forward to your contributions.

Hello Christophe,
“Christophe (due to my job, have to keep Incognito)” My, doesn’t that sound mysterious??? ☺

Welcome Phil,
Not many of us are fortunate enough to make a living doing things we genuinely love. I hope you’re not too discouraged by your wargame losing streak. At least your homeland and your family aren’t ravished when you fall in defeat!

Welcome Keefer,
Good to see a young Classicist getting grounded in a community where there is so much collective knowledge. I wish RAT existed when I was in high school…

Welcome Rob,
“I'm very good at starting projects but not at finishing them…” Ah, it appears that we share more than a name.

Welcome George,
Vikings possess a great heritage as warriors (and explorers)… so you share a natural kinship with the Romans. Glad to have you joining the community.

Welcome AB,
It will be interesting to hear about your insights into creating armor (pardon the American spelling).

Well, I appear to have caught up with all of the new members who have posted. It is wonderful to see RAT growing with the addition of so many bright and interesting people.

Re: New recruits - Titus Publius Saturninus - 05-11-2007

Robert Many thanks for the warm welcome. I personally have been in NZ for eight years. Actually not sure which came first Abruzzi or Rome. As with just about all Roman Italian types family probably bred like cockaroaches. My father(God rest his soul) always used to say" Be careful who you insult it's probably one of your cousins."Any way I believe the story goes that Abruzzo resisted the Roman onslaught but ultimately fell under the Roman crush and so we all became pilum toten' body snatchers too just like all the rest. That's sort of what my cousin related anyway.

Still have two rellies in Campo basso we iz mounteen volk. The ole family recepie for pasta fagioli was reputedly developed over the centurys and had it's meager start as gladiator/army fuel as it was econmical, somewhere something like nutritionally balanced and easy to make for heaps a people. I still make it about twice a month and drown it in fresh Romano and hot chili seeds.

Anyhow sir I thank you much for your kind red carpet treatment here and it was pretty nifty touching base with one who well knows the splender of the wide open American desert scene. It was just a lovely , peace filled place I recall where one could go do Zen, do the peyote dance or talk to the Lord n such.

Thanks again sir. You have a truly awesome weekend.

Cheers!

Rick

****AHHHhh yes the Devil's Punchbowl NOW you are jogging this feeble ole fool's recall and remember having some pretty neat camp outs in Joshua Tree.

Re: New recruits - philsidnell - 05-11-2007

Quote:Welcome Phil,
Not many of us are fortunate enough to make a living doing things we genuinely love. I hope you’re not too discouraged by your wargame losing streak. At least your homeland and your family aren’t ravished when you fall in defeat!

Yeah, thanks for the warm welcome. I do realise how lucky I am career wise - keep expecting to get found out!

It will take more than a losing streak to put me off my wargaming. I take a leaf out of the Roman book - they got drubbed in plenty of battles, but learnt from their enemies and kept coming back for more.

Look forward to plenty of good discussions with you.

Phil

Re: New recruits - DanM - 05-12-2007

I'm from chicago, I got interested in rome from a sixth grade social studies unit (but now i have to learn about middle ages, and rome was a short unit Sad ) I'm here just cause I want to chat about roman and greek warfare, I'm a sixth grader, and an individual Legionary reenactor.

Welcome Dan - Primitivus - 05-12-2007

Quote:I'm from chicago, I got interested in rome from a sixth grade social studies unit (but now i have to learn about middle ages, and rome was a short unit Sad
The medieval period can be very interesting in its own way... but I do agree that Rome's more fascinating. Keep reading and learning. There are literally tons of great Roman resources available. (But beware of learning your "history" from movies!)

Re: New recruits - Maiorianus - 05-17-2007

Good day to all!

I had already repeatedly come across RAT during some personal researches and found the discussions very interesting and high quality (and I also enjoyed the friendly and relaxed atmosphere). So, in the end, I thought it was more appropriate to sign in, rather than just lurk every here and then Smile .

Just a few bio notes: I'm Italian, I live in Belgium, I'm 41. I grew up in Rome and history, and more specifically military history, has always been my favourite reading subject. I think this gives you some of the reasons why I'm happy to join RAT!

Re: New recruits - Marcus Mummius - 05-17-2007

Welcome Gabriel! I send you a PM.

Re: New recruits - Maiorianus - 05-17-2007

Dank u wel, Jef (sorry, but my Dutch stops here Smile wink: , but would like to know where they are, what events they participate in, etc. Thanks in advance for any useful info