RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Salvete Ad Deva Victrix - Marcus Caecilius Avitus - 05-18-2007

Salvete omnes,

Time to introduce myself properly (again). i have previously existed on the old version of the forum (before Jasper turned it into the Elysium that it is today, well done!! ). In my previous existence I was Mummius, and in fact still am to my contubernales (Logius and Cadarus). As ther is another Mummius on the forum I thought I'd use my other handle, which honours one of our ancestors.

I am Optio of the century of Gittus, Tenth Cohort, Twentieth Legion, Valiant and Victorious. Garrissoned at Deva. My group is known as Deva Victrix (after the fortress) and we portray legionaries, civillians and Gladiators of the late first century. As well as option my other role is Suma Rudis in the arena.

As well as all that I also make kit for the group including clothing, footwear, lorica, scuta and impedimenta. I draw the line at helmets, swords and cast items (famous last words ). In time I will post piccies.

That's all for now. See you in the forum's.

Greetings from New Zealand - Sonny Taiaroa - 05-18-2007

Greetings Colleagues in Arms,

I am honoured to be accepted as a member. May I be permitted to introduce myself, my name is Sonny, I am from New Zealand. I am a lecturer in Sports Science currently teaching in New Zealand. In recent years I have had the opportunity to work abroad at the University in Leipzig, Germany. In that period of working abroad, my interest in particular to Roman History was prompted by searching and visiting ancient burial sites and museums. There is so much that one can learn from History, and to be able to experience that opportunity in Europe has presented me with the hunger and desire to research and to intensify my interest's in Roman History.
My interest in history is not only limited to this period of time, but also through the latter centuries of America's struggle to maintain its unification (American Civil War).
Whilst I regard myself as a novice in Roman History, your website has provided me with the impetus acquire further knowledge in this area.
I look forward to contributing to your website at regular intervals and to converse with many of your members should the occasion arise.

Regards

Sonny

Re: New recruits - Titus Publius Saturninus - 05-18-2007

SALVE! Sonny

From one Kiwi to the other please allow me to say WELCOME MATE!!

So what part of our fair land do you reside in? I am in Katikati (BOP) and have been a member a little over a month and already have learned heaps one cannot help but drink it all in. The resources are many, the talent here is awesome and the minds are the finest. It has become my virtual home away from home. Happy as Larry and I believe you will be as well. Once more WELCOME and ENJOY!!

Cheers!!

Rick

Re: New recruits - Sonny Taiaroa - 05-18-2007

Greetings and Salute Rick,

I am honoured to make your acquaintance from one Kiwi to another "Kia ora/Guten Tag".
Home for me is Wanganui, and work is 45 minutes drive to Palmerston North. When I am not teaching I take every opportunity to research and visit the libraries for any piece of information no matter how minute it is. In doing this I have created a database and I have catalogued every single piece of information according to time period which is then further sub catalogued into Culture, Military, Population, Demographics etc etc. Of late I have been able to construct a pictorial dictionary with audio documentary using digital audio of which I have been able to format into DVD for video viewing. My DVD collection is still in its infancy, but will grow in time. Over time I have been able to obtain a good collection of DVD material much of this information I have been able to extract from abroad.
Keep in contact Rick, I am certain that we will be able to trade and share some ideas between us, and if there are other Kiwi's out there drop us a line.

Regards

Sonny

Salvete...et quaestio vobis - QF VARUS - 05-20-2007

Salvete,

I am new around here, and I wanted to know why my photo wouldn't attach to my profile. The file seems small enough.

I am very glad this forum exists. There is really a need for this
VIA MEDIA between the academic world and the world of reenactors, gamers, et alii.

Bene Valete,

Re: New recruits - Servio Caro (Javier Sánc - 05-22-2007

Hi all!!

My name is Javier, I'm from Badajoz in Spain (Near Emerita Avgvsta). I'm interested in Greek and roman (high empire) reenactment.

Well, I'm happy to be here, I will learn a lot of things!

Regards!

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 05-22-2007

welcome Javier to RAT!

Re: New recruits - philsidnell - 05-22-2007

Welcome aboard. I joined about a month ago and just wish I had done it sooner.

Phil Sidnell

Re: New recruits - Aedinius - 05-22-2007

Hello all, I am new to the forums and I presently play in the SCA and portray a lat Roman persona 3 to 400 AD. I am very excited in learing more about the Roman way of life and what they used back then.

Aedinius

Re: New recruits - Titus Publius Saturninus - 05-22-2007

WELCOME to ALL!!

I believe you are all going to find this place a truely remarkable haven for all things Roman. The people here are awesome! Extremely fine historians, artisans etc. I have learned more here in just the past month than I could have ever done from any other source. It's beautiful!

Again WELCOME!

David Smith do you have a photo editor where you can scale your avatar down a tad?

Cheers!

Rick

Re: New recruits - le Cavalier Invisible - 05-23-2007

Quote:I have learned more here in just the past month than I could have ever done from any other source. It's beautiful!

Same here! (well, not exactly a month, but anyway..)

Welcome to everyone!

Greets,

Glad I found you...... - Matus turpis ferinus - 05-29-2007

Salve! Big Grin

I wish I had found this site earlier. I have browsed these hallowed pages all morning, opps should do some work :oops:

I am a fellow who has had a great interest in the Roman empire since very young.

Just today a gladius arrived on my doorstep. Not the best in the world but I can do some work and modify it to a decent standard.

My main interest lies with the Republic era. I love the idea of citizen soldiers questing for a glorious empire, or just for survival!! Confusedhock:

I'm looking to create a Triarii impression. Mainly due to the fact I'm too old for a Hastati :lol:

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 05-30-2007

welcome Matus turpis ferinus to RAT

could you also put your (first) real name in your signature - forum rules.

Re: New recruits - Matus turpis ferinus - 05-30-2007

Hmmm, strange that, I've added a signature but it is not showing, the 'attach signature' box is ticked.

Hopefully it will sort it out. Untill then, my name is Matt Harley Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 05-30-2007

Works fine now. :wink: