RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Sub-Roman Britannia Enthu - 07-03-2007

Howdy folks,

name's David. I've only become interested in Roman history in the last three years (give or take), mostly doing research on Sub-Roman Britain and the Arthurian myths/historical info. Not a reenactor of this era, though I did do 8 yrs of American Civil War reenacting (Yankee soldiers just get no respect here in the South). I have a BA in History from The University of South Florida, but I focused on Modern Military History.

I've toyed with the idea of doing a Romano-British impression, but it would have to be a sort of fat, jovial merchant type. :wink:

Anyway, I may be plying some of you with questions from time to time and my collection of research materials grows and I come across information I didn't have before. Osprey Publishing must love me, since I keep buying their books (I just picked up Rome's Saxon Shore).

Re: New recruits - Marcus Hortensius Castus - 07-03-2007

Welcome aboard, David, from a former johnny reb to billy yank! I was a southern ACW (war of southern independence 8) ) reenactor in Cali. Inverse of the respect you got down south I guess!

Welcome David - Primitivus - 07-04-2007

Quote:I've toyed with the idea of doing a Romano-British impression, but it would have to be a sort of fat, jovial merchant type. :wink:
Man, can I relate to that... my days as a hard chargin' centurion have surely passed! Smile

Re: Welcome Evy - Caracalla - 07-10-2007

Quote:
Caracalla:2h8qbv7z Wrote:As a living, I have my own beauty-center.
Ever thought about offering some Roman coiffures? Smile

You are a bit far away, I guess, to do your hair Big Grin

This is me on holiday in Greece, 4 years ago.

Re: New recruits - Caracalla - 07-10-2007

Seems like I posted the same pic twice...

beauty center - richsc - 07-11-2007

Sally Pointer in the UK has put out a book "the Artifice of Beauty" which talks about Roman makeup and hairstyles.
The German vendor Forum Traiani sells hairpieces from the Vespasian era.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 07-11-2007

Quote:Seems like I posted the same pic twice...
Or.. it's your twin sister!! Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 07-11-2007

Welcome to RAT Eve, great to have another lady onboard!

Re: beauty center - Caracalla - 07-11-2007

Quote:Sally Pointer in the UK has put out a book "the Artifice of Beauty" which talks about Roman makeup and hairstyles.
The German vendor Forum Traiani sells hairpieces from the Vespasian era.

Thanks for the link!
Very interesting, I must say.

Best,

Re: New recruits - Caracalla - 07-11-2007

Quote:
Caracalla:mz01b9qq Wrote:Seems like I posted the same pic twice...
Or.. it's your twin sister!! Big Grin

I have a younger sister, maybe it's her Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Caracalla - 07-11-2007

Quote:Welcome to RAT Eve, great to have another lady onboard!

Thanks for the welcome!

I saw that there are some other women on the boards also.
Nice to be not the only female overhere :wink:

Re: New recruits - Marcus Mummius - 07-11-2007

Quote:The German vendor Forum Traiani sells hairpieces from the Vespasian era

Where on their website does it say they sell these? Do you see any prices?

Some of our ladies would be very interested I think...

Re: New recruits - Aetius Helvius Merula - 07-14-2007

Salve! My name's Joel, aka Aetius Helvius Merula (but you've seen that already Tongue )from Portland, Oregon, in the Northwestern US. I've been lurking around here and visiting for quite some time now. For some reason, joining the forum was slow to dawn on me.

I've always been interested in past cultures and societies, and how they lived, for the reason that it plays a large part in who and what we are today. And knowing that, even on an intellectual level, makes me glad for the positive things about modern life that I'd otherwise gripe about. Why Rome and the classical age? Because it shaped the western world. And because my interests have evolved over the years from the Victorian age, to the Reformation, the Middle ages, and have gone to the world that started it all.

I'd add that my father being an archaeologist, I've been interested in recreating the past from an early age. He used to take me on digs and have me help him with his living history experiments. I guess it got in my blood.

I don't reenact right now. Not because I don't want to; I really really do. But, well, I've never taken that step. I have friends who are in the SCA, and I've been to a few events. I'm at a point now where I think I've learned all I can by reading, and it's time to start doing. By that I mean starting a civilian or military impression. Besides, it sounds like my idea of fun!

PS- anyone from the Pacific NW?

Re: New recruits - Et tu brute - 07-14-2007

Hi, welcome to the forum, you'll find all the help you need for starting out re-enacting on here, one of the mods will probably ask you to put your real name in your signature, as it's a forum rule.

Re: New recruits - maius - 07-15-2007

Greetings Joel,

Welcome to Rat! I too am new here, great place to be and learn.

I live in Astoria and am starting a Roman reenactment unit with two others who live in Portland. We are going to do the XIIII legio GMV, circa 60AD Britain.

A couple of us have reenacted before, US CW, and WWII. Doing ancient Rome is new to us also. Would like to invite you to join with us.

Maius/Bill