RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Welcome Joel - Primitivus - 07-16-2007

Quote:I've been lurking around here and visiting for quite some time now. For some reason, joining the forum was slow to dawn on me.
I don't suppose it's because you didn't think you had anything to contribute to the discussion? Not true, of course. Your voice will certainly be welcome in the forum.
Quote:PS- anyone from the Pacific NW?
I'm currently stationed at Edwards AFB in Socal, but will be retiring and moving home to Puget Sound at the end of August. As an Oregonian, you can appreciate how eager I am to trade the desert for the mountains, beaches and forests!

Re: Welcome Joel - Aetius Helvius Merula - 07-16-2007

Quote:Greetings Joel,

Welcome to Rat! I too am new here, great place to be and learn.

I live in Astoria and am starting a Roman reenactment unit with two others who live in Portland. We are going to do the XIIII legio GMV, circa 60AD Britain.

A couple of us have reenacted before, US CW, and WWII. Doing ancient Rome is new to us also. Would like to invite you to join with us.

Maius/Bill

I'd be glad to, Maius. That fits right into my period of interest. My main one, I should say. Thanks for the offer! I'll PM you with my info. And I'll do some research on that legion. I've never reenacted before, but I think I understand the spirit of things.

Quote:I'm currently stationed at Edwards AFB in Socal, but will be retiring and moving home to Puget Sound at the end of August. As an Oregonian, you can appreciate how eager I am to trade the desert for the mountains, beaches and forests!

Yes, I do. I travel to the Southwest and California once in a while, and when I see the Cascade Mountains again, I always breathe easier.

Re: New recruits - Ghostmojo - 07-16-2007

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen ... lend me your ears"!!!...

Or your eyes in this case! :lol:

Hi everybody. I have just joined up after reading the boards of this facinating web site for a while now.

I am interested in Rome in a general sense ... but particularly - Early Republican/Punic Wars/British Occupation/End of Empire periods.

I am also very interested in:

Carthage/Hannibal

Hellenistic Greek & Diadochi Period

Archiac & Classical Greek Period

So I guess I should fit in well around here. 8)

Regards

Ghostmojo (Howard Johnston)

Wirral - England

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 07-16-2007

Hi Howard,

Welcome to the forum. Will you make sure you write your name in your signature? It's a forum rule and it'll sure look better that that rude sentence you have now (but not switched on). :wink:

Re: New recruits - Ghostmojo - 07-16-2007

OK Robert - thanks. Wish me luck since I usually mess up these things!!!

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 07-16-2007

Looking OK to me - thanks Howard.

Re: New recruits - Renius - 07-17-2007

Welcome Joel!
I've just gotten started putting together my legionary kit to reenact with Bill a.k.a. Maius as a member of the XIIII. I really hope to have you join us in this endeavor. Ancient Rome is the attention of my interest in history right now and probably will be for a long time to come. Greg

Re: New recruits - A. Flavius - 07-17-2007

Hello all,

Firstly my name is Scott. Secondly it's good to find a group of such active Roman enthusiasts online with such a broad spectrum of interests. It certainly saves on jumping between groups.

1) Where are you from?

Sydney, Australia

2) How did you become interested in Rome?

I studied Augustus and Julio-Claudians for my HSC (rough equivalent to the SATs for you Americans out there), and I've been hooked on it since. I've had little chance to study it at university, but have made the most of well stocked university libraries and book stores to pursue my passion in my own time.

3) Why are you here?

I'm always on the lookout for a good online Roman group to partake in. I've been part of several over the years. I'm hoping to learn more about the Roman military whilst here.

4) Do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?

None of the above I'm afraid. I was a student but recently graduated. I've never re-enacted either. Just a simple person with a deep passion for Roman history.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 07-17-2007

Welcome to the forum Scott.

Re: New recruits - maius - 07-17-2007

Scott, welcome to the Roman Army Talk forum. Great place to be.

Maius/Bill

New Recruits - Paullus Scipio - 07-17-2007

Welcome Scott !
As I expect you know already, there are plenty of fellow Antipodeans here, though for the most part we are pretty scattered.......

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 07-18-2007

Greetings All! My name is Sharon and I'm a newbie recruit. This looks like a great board and I'm very glad to be here. Smile

Here's some mundane information about me:

1) Where are you from?

Currently live in Ontario, Canada, but I was born in the Philippines and grew up in Chicago.

2) How did you become interested in Rome?

I've always been interested in history and culture, especially the warfare of the ancient and medieval ages. Just a few years ago, I became more and more enthralled with All Things Roman. My knowledge is limited since I've never studied this in school, so I learn by reading as many books as I can and watching documentaries in my spare time.

3) Why are you here?

I read some of the posts before I joined, and this forum seems like a friendly, intelligent and lively place to be! I think I can learn a lot. Also, I've been looking for a nice place to share my historical interests with others of a like nature (instead of boring my friends & family, lol).

4) Do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?

I wish I was any of the above! I think I'd like to join a re-enactment group, but to my knowledge there isn't one here in my area. I do enjoy drawing arms & armour and hope to someday break into the military illustration field. All in all, I'm basically a history nut that reads a lot of books.

Cheers!

~Sharon

Re: New recruits - maius - 07-18-2007

Sharon, welcome to RAT! This a great place to be where you can learn a lot about the Roman army and All Things Roman.

I really enjoyed looking at your artwork, and hope to see more here soon.

Maius/Bill

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 07-19-2007

Nice to meet you Bill! And thank you for viewing my art! Maybe I'll post some of it here at RAT. Smile

Cheers

Re: New recruits - Et tu brute - 07-19-2007

Hi there,
welcome to RAT, I also loved your art, some really great pieces on your deviant page, RAT's a really friendly and helpful forum, it's certainly the best i've come across! Big Grin