RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Titus Aetius - 07-31-2007

As Jasper said: neh! Big Grin
I, for my part, know to little about the USA... but we can't study everything I suppose Sad

And we share the same name! Big Grin )

Welcome Tim - Primitivus - 08-01-2007

Quote:The amount of knowledge which is shared on [this forum] is immense!
Very true. Glad you have joined us to mine its wealth.

Re: New recruits - Aetius Helvius Merula - 08-02-2007

Quote:As Jasper said: neh! Big Grin
I, for my part, know to little about the USA... but we can't study everything I suppose Sad

And we share the same name! Big Grin )

Yep, the details don't matter. Aetius means eagle, so each of us have an inner Roman waiting to come out Big Grin

Re: Welcome Ryan - Constantine_the_Great - 08-02-2007

Quote:
Constantine_the_Great:289m8px7 Wrote:Hi Im Constantine the Great...
Glad to have you joining us. I'm curious as to why you chose Constantine I as your "avatar"?

I chose Constantine because he is my Favorite Emperor and I wasn't in the mood to make up a awesome Roman name so I stuck with that

Re: New recruits - Marcus Mummius - 08-02-2007

Welcome, Ryan!

I'm curious to know where the picture in your avatar came from. Where did youfind it, and which group is it?

Vale,

Re: New recruits - Ludens - 08-02-2007

Quote:Thanks, Jasper and Tim. I'm afraid I don't know much about the Low Countries; that clears things up a bit. Actually, I belatedly wondered if I was stirring up a modern political controversy. Glad to see I'm not.

Well, the whole discussion between the states of Belgium finds it's origin in the Roman occupation of Belgica. The border between Flanders and Wallonia lays pretty much on "via Gesoriacum ad Colonia Agrippa" (i don't know this by heart, i had to look it up :wink: Roman road between Boulogne and Cologne). The tribes to the north of this via were influenced by the Germanians (Dutch and Flemish are related to German), while the tribes south of this road where latinesed (French is related to Latin). If the Germanians would have stayed on their side of the Rhine 1600 years ago, Belgian politics would have been very boring right now :wink:

By the way, welcome Tim (as you might have guessed, I'm Jo also from Legio XI)

Iorus Sarcophagus Ludens

P.S.: Finally got an avatar here. Pic is taken on an event in Eindhoven (the Netherlands) and for some strange reason on almost all the relaxed pics - pics on which we're not drilling or so - I'm drinking... So I must be a geniun member of the Belgae tribe, lol...

Re: New recruits - Titus Aetius - 08-03-2007

Hello Jo,

I don't think there are any other Romans in Viroviacum, so it had to be you!
And indeed, in long forgotten times, it had something to do with Germanic vs Roman influences... Why did the Imperium Romanum collapse and why did Napoleon loose the Battle of Waterloo? All those magnificent empires, ruined by those damned barbarian hordes... and lots of other causes, yes I know... only contemplating, sorry.

Regards,

Re: New recruits - Tarbicus - 08-03-2007

Quote:Why did the Imperium Romanum collapse and why did Napoleon loose the Battle of Waterloo? All those magnificent empires, ruined by those damned barbarian hordes... and lots of other causes, yes I know... only contemplating, sorry.
There's a theory to do with Natural Selection out there, dealing with that very subject. Even Richard Dawkins has commented on it :wink:

Re: New recruits - Lucius Poblius - 08-03-2007

Quote:why did Napoleon loose the Battle of Waterloo? All those magnificent empires, ruined by those damned barbarian hordes

I hope you aren't refering to the British as a barbarian horde (true as it may be)! :wink:

Re: New recruits - Constantine_the_Great - 08-03-2007

Quote:Welcome, Ryan!

I'm curious to know where the picture in your avatar came from. Where did youfind it, and which group is it?

Vale,

um i did a random google images search it was on one of the back pages(20-40) I typed in eather Roman Sodiers or Roman Legionaries also I have no clue what group it is form

Re: New recruits - Robert - 08-03-2007

Salve Joel,

Just to complicate measure, the Low Countries translate as "the Netherlands" and that would be the Dutch, sometimes refered to as Holland, but that's just a province (or actualy, two, Noord and zuid Holland). Belgium used to be a part of the Netherlands only a few hunderd years ago, and the Flemish (Vlaanderen) share the language. Belgium is in fact a lot higher then the Netherlands, the border is near the faultline of the Brabant Massive and the Dutch mainly occupy the swampy riverdelta of the Rhine and the Maas river. Wallonia, the French part, has the Ardennes and is higher still. The Roman Limes runs through the Netherlands, then part of Germania Inferior, on the southern border of the Neder Rhine, now only a distant memory of a real river. The site www.limes.nl will show you the tract of the Limes and the fortifications. The site www.Livius.com is an English language goldmine on this stretch of the ancient border.

Re: New recruits - Ludens - 08-03-2007

Quote:Salve Joel,

Just to complicate measure, the Low Countries translate as "the Netherlands" and that would be the Dutch, sometimes refered to as Holland, but that's just a province (or actualy, two, Noord and zuid Holland). Belgium used to be a part of the Netherlands only a few hunderd years ago, and the Flemish (Vlaanderen) share the language. Belgium is in fact a lot higher then the Netherlands, the border is near the faultline of the Brabant Massive and the Dutch mainly occupy the swampy riverdelta of the Rhine and the Maas river. Wallonia, the French part, has the Ardennes and is higher still. The Roman Limes runs through the Netherlands, then part of Germania Inferior, on the southern border of the Neder Rhine, now only a distant memory of a real river. The site www.limes.nl will show you the tract of the Limes and the fortifications. The site www.Livius.com is an English language goldmine on this stretch of the ancient border.

To make it even more complated....
The "Low Countries" can be translated as the "Nederlanden / Netherlands" but is also often used for the current Netherlands + Belgium + Luxembourg (the "Benelux"). Those 3 countries were united in 1 country a few times in history: the Netherlands (or "Belgica" in Latin) during the 15th century. When those Netherlands came under Spanish rule it lead to a war of independance, but only the Northern Netherlands became independant in 1648, the Southern Netherlands remained occupied by Spain. The Nothern Netherlands (the current Kingdom of the Netherlands) and Souterns Netherlands (now Belgium and Luxembourg) were united again after the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, but a revolution organised by the French speaking people of the Southern Netherlands lead to the independance of Belgium in 1830, Luxembourg became independant in 1890.

But that's way after the period we tend to discuss on this forum :wink:

Iorus

Re: New recruits - Aetius Helvius Merula - 08-04-2007

Salve, Jo and Robert. Thanks for the info! My own country has similar cultural quirks like that; the United States aren't as united as they may appear. But you're right, Jo, in that it's way after our period.

*Governor of a new province* 'OK folks, it's like this...You're Roman, and you speak Latin. Any more questions?....well, that was easy.'

Re: New recruits - Titus Aetius - 08-04-2007

Quote:I hope you aren't refering to the British as a barbarian horde (true as it may be)! Wink
Nope, I was not. That part belongs with the first part of my sentence... although I had another people in mind... :mrgreen:

And thank you Tarbicus!

En Jo, laat u gaan! Smile

Re: New recruits - Ludens - 08-04-2007

Quote:
Quote:I hope you aren't refering to the British as a barbarian horde (true as it may be)! Wink
Nope, I was not. That part belongs with the first part of my sentence... although I had another people in mind... :mrgreen:

And thank you Tarbicus!

En Jo, laat u gaan! Smile

Naughty Tim!

posts on this forum have to be in English (there are many barbarians here that don't understand our beautiful and highly civilised language :wink:

Vale,

Iorus