RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Aetius Helvius Merula - 08-14-2007

Salve, Licinius and Decimus! I'm in the same boat; wanted to get invovled but put it off. Now that the ball's rolling, it's truly rolling. Wish I would have known about all the groups in CA when I lived there. Welcome!

Real names - richsc - 08-14-2007

Salve Decimus and Licinius. It's a great hobby and presents fascinating study opportunities. Just wanted to remind you that forum rules do require you to put your real names in your signatures.

Re: New recruits - Lochinvar - 08-15-2007

Greetings All,
I'm the new boy in the dorm (to use a British boarding school analogy).

I'm terribly impressed by the quality of this resource, and also by its good nature.

I'm a mouldy old new joiner at 47, but I still recall with affection things which have shaped and influenced my interest in the classics: Timpo and Airfix Romans; plastic armour which never fitted wee boys; the BBC classics 'Up Pompeii' (Oh Lurcio!) and 'I Claudius' (Clau..Clau..Claudius); Monty Python's 'The Life of Brian'; Latin lessons with our brilliant, but sadly long gone, teacher Tubby Tailor, who taught us all about tyranny and freedom; walking Hadrian's Wall with the Army Staff College.

Although a nasty, hairy, cheapskate Scot, I absconded with a fine English woman and decided to settle in her Vicus (one mile from a Roman villa in Kent). However, I work in Eboracum (York).

If there is anyone out there who fancies gathering for the odd jar of ale or cup of finest Falernian in York, please let me know.

With regards to all!!

Ewan Carmichael aka Lochinvar (yes, I realise the name isn't a Latin one).

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 08-15-2007

welcome to RAT Ewan! Make yourself at home.

Cripes - that was fast!! Mind you, you're an hour ahead. Thanks, have a cup of virtual wine!!

Recruits - Paullus Scipio - 08-15-2007

Welcome Lochinvar !! How does one commute form Kent to York ? Oh, wait you stay in York all week in a pied-a-terre and go home weekends? Or you are a pilot ?

Do tell ! Smile

Hi Paullus. Typical Aussie, lured by the drink (laughs)! Actually, I hold your countrymen in high regard...pull up a stool. There you go Mate (tops up cup with pale Pommie attempt at cold beer)!

You've got the answer in one. If only I were a pilot. Instead, I subsidise our overpriced railways.

Oops, forgot to sign: Ewan Carmichael/Lochinvar

Re: New recruits - Et tu brute - 08-15-2007

Hi there, welcome to the forums! Instead of having to sign each post you can just put your real name in your signature if you go to your profile.

Re: New recruits - Memmia - 08-15-2007

Salvete new members!

Welcome to the forum.

Ewan- You travel that distance and back every day ? Confusedhock: Or do you stop over ?

My workplace is only 12 miles from where I live, and I moan like Hell about that journey! :lol:

Thanks Mates.
Rather than clog this thread up with 'Me, Me, Me', i'll move off into another room. But just to answer Memmius' question, I have a pad in York that goes with the job.

Et Tu Brute, I tried that but clicking on the Signature block in Profile doesn't seem to do anything for me :? . Do you have any top tips?

Lochinvar/Ewan

Re: New recruits - Et tu brute - 08-15-2007

Hi, here's a step by step guide (probaby more than you nead lol): Go to your profile, click the "profile" tab that's to the right of the the highlighted "home" tab that'll be open now. Now your on the profile bit click the "signature" subtab. Now there'll be a text box, sort of like the ones when you post, put whaever you want in there, your real name, some people put quotes or images and click submit, your signature will now be set Big Grin

Re: New recruits - maius - 08-15-2007

Welcome Ewan to the RAT forums, enjoy your time here. Smile

Maius/Bill

Re: New recruits - Lochinvar - 08-16-2007

Having just said that I'd move on to create some space for anyone coming in after me, I simply must share this with you all:
I was so inspired by an article I read on sling-braiding, that I went straight out to buy some string. In the haberdashers, the lady assistant was intrigued by my purchase and asked if I was into Japanese bondage :oops:

So there you are, you join RAT, and suddenly a whole new vista opens up :wink:

Memmia, I'm glad to see that we share a common interest in 'falling over'. I can do a pretty convincing stumble as well!!

Right, that's it. I'm outa here. Welcome to all my successors!

Re: New recruits - Sagittarii - 08-19-2007

Hi, I have been lurking for a little while and you all seem to be a friendly bunch so I have decided to join up.

I am particulary interested in later horse archers. I have some equipment that I had started to put together a few years ago and am now looking at getting back into it.

I know some of the chaps that ride for EH (Mark Jenner) and I know they do some Roman cavalry stuff. Alan Larsen is a mate (is that a good or bad thing :lol: ) and I will have a chat with him when he is Down Under next.

I guess the easiest way to get an idea of who I am and what I do is to check out our website [url:1792mmgk]http://www.jousting.com.au[/url]

I am sure I will be posting asking all sorts of questions about cavalry,,,,,, I apologise now.

Re: New recruits - maius - 08-19-2007

Welcome to the RAT forum Rod. Smile

Maius/Bill