RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Et tu brute - 08-21-2007

Did Caesar not say (this is going from memory, so i'm probably wrong) that the Belgians were the bravest and uncivilised beacause "foriegn merchants resorted to them only when desperate" so the items that would "effeminate the mind" would rarely get to them? So one could argue it wasn't all there fault :lol:

Re: New recruits - Marcus Mummius - 08-21-2007

Well, there is a difference between the Belgians and the Belgae Caesar mentioned. Not all modern Belgians live in the territory of the Belgae... :wink:

Re: New recruits - Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 08-22-2007

Indeed, the Belgians C.I.Caesar described lived in - correct me if I'm wrong - what's now called northern France. I don't doubt we're as brave as those men, but still...
And also, probably Caesar did only say that because he knew he would win. That way, he would have conquered the most brave people. 8)

Quote:
Sandrus:1xsvjekw Wrote:myquote

Salve Sandrus,

welcome on board! it's great to see new enthousiast here. Especially if they're also from Belgium.
Maybe see you on one of the events we go to with Legio XI (I'm in the same re-enactment group as Marcus Mummius)?

Vale,

Iorus
Yes, Marcus M gave me already some information and I'm very interested!

(Alleen, aangezien het zowat in heel Vlaanderen kan zijn zal het moeilijk worden om (stel dat ik zou willen meedoen en toegelaten word) telkens ter plekke te zijn, en alles te vinden. Ik ben niet echt vertrouwd met het nemen van trein/bus (wat niet wilt zeggen dat ik het niet kan), maar misschien kan ik mijn ouders overhalen me te brengen als ze kunnen?
Het is heel interessant; houd me op de hoogte. Smile Ik zal nog wel zien.)

Re: New recruits - Ludens - 08-22-2007

Quote:Yes, Marcus M gave me already some information and I'm very interested!

(Alleen, aangezien het zowat in heel Vlaanderen kan zijn zal het moeilijk worden om (stel dat ik zou willen meedoen en toegelaten word) telkens ter plekke te zijn, en alles te vinden. Ik ben niet echt vertrouwd met het nemen van trein/bus (wat niet wilt zeggen dat ik het niet kan), maar misschien kan ik mijn ouders overhalen me te brengen als ze kunnen?
Het is heel interessant; houd me op de hoogte. Smile Ik zal nog wel zien.)

Salve Sandrus,

Just an other small forum rule: messages are supposed to be in English (unless when using a quote or so). I know, it's a bit silly since about 1/3 of the people here are from Flanders or the Netherlands. But since our British and American brothers faled to learn our beautifull language, and they are with a bit more here we must homour these less educated people :wink:

Yes we have "performances" all over Belgium, and sometimes just accross the border. But getting there by public transport shouldn't a real problem. Tim is from the same province like you (near Deinze) and half of the time I have to change in Gent (coming from the south of West-Vlaanderen). And carpooling is also a possibility. It would be a pity to let you scare of by those practical obstacles, since they can be fixed very easely.

Vale,

Iorus

I'm sorry, I will think about that. But not everything I say is meant to everyone should understand (yes, I know what a PM is) but I shall post everything in English now. (Except for things to the brothers of our great region (hoping it will become a country Tongue lol: )
But, a question. Is there a list with the ranks somewhere?

Re: New recruits - Marcus Mummius - 08-22-2007

Quote:But, a question. Is there a list with the ranks somewhere?

Sander, look here: http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/statistics.php

The ranks are at the bottom of the page.

Vale,

I see. I know all of them except for the Gregalis and Imunnis. Who are they? (Names in dutch, if existing?)

Re: New recruits - Marcus Mummius - 08-22-2007

Quote:I see. I know all of them except for the Gregalis and Imunnis. Who are they? (Names in dutch, if existing?)

Answered in a PM :wink:

Re: New recruits - Lochinvar - 08-23-2007

Ave Sandrus,
and welcome.
With regard to writing in English, please see my post under 'Awards' 'Members Whose First Language is Not English'.

Welcome James - Primitivus - 08-24-2007

Quote:...try to make my way up and earn the respect of my grizzled veterans
A worthy goal. Welcome recruit!

Welcome J.-Marc - Primitivus - 08-24-2007

Quote:My first step in the reenactment world was in American civil war, 15 years ago...
I'd be curious to learn whether you fought for the Union or for the Confederacy..?

Welcome Licinius - Primitivus - 08-24-2007

Quote:I will make extensive use of the know-how available on this site, & offer my own skills to the betterment of this mutual endeavor.
Thanks for your willingness to offer your own talents to help make RAT even better.

Welcome Decimus - Primitivus - 08-24-2007

Quote:I am from Solingen (famous and brilliant knifes....)
Though not famous for your version of the gladius, I suspect. Smile Glad to have you joining us.

Welcome Ewan - Primitivus - 08-24-2007

Quote:walking Hadrian's Wall with the Army Staff College. Although a nasty, hairy, cheapskate Scot, I absconded with a fine English woman and decided to settle in her Vicus (one mile from a Roman villa in Kent). However, I work in Eboracum (York). If there is anyone out there who fancies gathering for the odd jar of ale or cup of finest Falernian in York, please let me know.
Bet visiting the Wall with Royal Army faculty was fascinating. I loved visiting York (three times) while we were stationed in the UK in the early 90s.

Welcome Rod - Primitivus - 08-25-2007

Quote:I am sure I will be posting asking all sorts of questions about cavalry...
Ask away. There are many here with expert knowledge on the subject (alas, not me...) I am particularly interested in 4th century Roman cavalry troops.