RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Welcome Sharon - Primitivus - 09-13-2007

Glad to see that the helpful folks here at RAT already solved your avatar dilemma. They are truly a hospitable bunch of rapscallions... um, I mean, "Romans."

Welcome Willi - Primitivus - 09-13-2007

Quote:my Interests are Military History of Ancient Greece and Frederick the Greats Army.
Interesting... wonder how many parallels there are between the two..?

Re: New recruits - Strategos - 09-14-2007

Thanks to all for the nice Postings!
@Renius: I´m glad you enjoyed our city!
@Primitivus: Yes, there are many parallels, especially the Battle of Leuthen, which was an adaption of Epameinondas´ strategy at Leuctra. Also the idea to set the infantry formation to a closer one based on the macedonian Phalanx. That's one of the reasons why I began to read about Ancient Greece...
Great eras, great men, what else can I say?

With Regards

Re: New recruits - MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 09-14-2007

Hey,

Nice forum you people have here, interesting I only came across it AFTER I joined a re-enactment society (RMRS for that matter), but better late than never.

So anyway, my current username is Bactrian, and I say current because I plan to change it to Marcus Petronius, in honour of a standard bearer in the XIIIIth legion circa 40AD, who took part in the invasion of Britain.

Im still a newbie at re-enactment and at much of the equipment and archaelogical finds of the romans, so please bear with me in future posts, where, inevitably I will say something incorrect.

Also, I have a question. Regarding avatars, although the forum restrains us to 115x115 pixels and less than 6kb, I'm sure I have seen other members with larger avatars than this. Is there anyway to circumvent (with the mods/admins consent off course) the current forum regulations regarding these?

Best Regards to all,
Yuri

Re: New recruits - maius - 09-14-2007

Welcome to RAT Yuri, glad you found this forum. Make yourself at home here.

I like your choice for your Roman name, that's also the name i chose for my impression, Marcus Petronius Maius. I'm just starting a new group in Oregon/Washington, doing Legio XIIII circa AD 50-60 Britain.

I've learned a lot since joining RAT and find myself learning more each day.

Again, welcome. Smile

Maius/Bill

Welcome Yuri - Primitivus - 09-14-2007

Quote:I plan to change it to Marcus Petronius, in honour of a standard bearer in the XIIIIth legion circa 40AD, who took part in the invasion of Britain.
So, you identify with invaders do you? Smile Glad to have you enlisting in RAT.

Re: New recruits - MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 09-14-2007

Hey,

Yes, I got the inspiration to choose this name after reading ''Nero's Killing Machine'' by Stephen Dando-Collins. Not entirely accurate some might say, but a good portrayal of what the XIIIIth legion may have gone through in its fascinating history.

As for me associating with invaders, well, im only part british, so my other half wants in on the action invading the shores of britain. Shame the romans didnt get as far as Brazil in their days, had they, I doubt they would hang around Britannia for much longer Tongue

Re: New recruits - maius - 09-15-2007

Yuri, i also read "Nero's Killing Machine" and thought it was a great book. That's what inspired me to portray the XIIII legion. I've set our time frame around AD 60, during the revolt of Queen Boudica of the Icini tribe.

Maius/Bill

Re: New recruits - MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 09-15-2007

Quote:Yuri, i also read "Nero's Killing Machine" and thought it was a great book. That's what inspired me to portray the XIIII legion. I've set our time frame around AD 60, during the revolt of Queen Boudica of the Icini tribe.

Maius/Bill

Yes, thats an interesting time, not only for Legio XIIII, but also in the history of Britain. Mind you, its fairly ironic how there is a statue of Boudica in London, seeing as it was her who sacked the city to start with :roll:

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 09-15-2007

Guys, please discuss books in the proper section?

Re: New recruits - MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 09-15-2007

Quote:Guys, please discuss books in the proper section?

Nice to meet you too Robert Big Grin

Sorry, we'll take this to the proper section.

PS: What is the norm in RAT, to refer to members by real name, or roman name?

Cheers

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 09-15-2007

Well met Yuri. :wink:

It's what you want. My useername dates from so long ago that I won't change it, but people refer to me as Robert, Vortigern, Vorti, whatever. Big Grin

The only rule is that a real name is either to be shown in the username or the signature.

Re: New recruits - maius - 09-15-2007

Oops, sorry. :oops:

Maius/Bill

Re: New recruits - laukkjd - 09-16-2007

Greetings all,

I've actually been enjoying the postings here for some time, so I figured I should make it official and register.

A little about myself:
I'm in my 3rd (and delightfully final) year of law school. I grew up working in the family masonry business and spent a number of years in the army. I've always felt something of a kinship with soldiers of earlier times, which clearly is what would lure me here. As far as literature, I'm inclined toward the Greeks. For soldiering, more toward the Romans. That is probably enough of me for now.

Re: New recruits - Aetius Helvius Merula - 09-16-2007

Welcome, Jim! Lots of good stuff here! Enjoy your stay, and glad you introduced yourself.

PM sent, by the way.