RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - C. Apollonius Priscus - 09-16-2007

Greetings all!

I too have been reading the postings for quite some time and have figured that I might as well join. My main interest in ancient history has always been Egypt and this has led to an interest in conquerors of Egypt and this road has eventually led to Rome :-) ) I read with interest military-related literature ( especially naval subjects) from the ancient period and have found quite a number of useful weapon & armor posts here. I very much appreciate the collective knowledge.

Re: New recruits - maius - 09-16-2007

Greetings Jim and Alan, i'd like to welcome both of you to the RAT forum.

Maius/Bill

Re: New recruits - Christophroeck - 09-16-2007

Hello,
I'm Christoph Roeck from Bolzano/ South Tyrol/ Italy. I'm a Greek/ Latin/ History teacher at a secondary school. My interests are Greek and Roman literature, history, society and especially warfare. In the past years I studied very intensive the Greek and Roman military writers (esp. Vegetius, Aelian, Onasander). Now I thought it is time to get some practice. Therefore I want to create a new Roman Reenactment Group in Bolzano.
In my spare time I'm working on my Ph.D. about the relevance and the influence of the Greek and Roman military writers (esp. Aelian, but others too) for the Military Theory and Practice of the Renaissance.
Gratias maximas vobis ago

Valete

Christoph Roeck

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 09-16-2007

welcome Christoph, we have more people working on their Ph.D here.

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 09-16-2007

Hello Jim and Cristoph! Smile Alan, it's nice to see a new member with an interest in Egypt.

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 09-17-2007

Hi Alan,

welcome to RAT. Ancient Egypt is also one of my interests (busy learning to read hieroglyphs right now..). Great "eye of horus" avatar BTW.

Re: New recruits - MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 09-17-2007

Hey Alan,

Welcome to RAT. Hope our roman ways dont put you off Egypt, we are always welcoming nubian auxiliaries Big Grin (If there ever was such a thing lol)

Re: New recruits - laukkjd - 09-17-2007

And hello Alan and Cristoph!

Re: New recruits - Lochinvar - 09-19-2007

Crikey, I nip out to Xanten and across the Limes for a few days and find that we've got millions of new chaps in the dorm (Harry Potter methaphor).
Welcome one and all!

Re: New recruits - Caius Marius - 09-19-2007

Salve!
This site and forum is absolutley incredible, what a wonderful resource for both well established re-enactors and fledgling ones like myself. I have been reading through many of the wonderful topics and am looking forward to reading and learning more from you all.

A little about myself, I am 36, live in the northwestern part of Arizona along the Colorado river. I have always had a fascination with history, and have developed an interest in Rome in particular over the past few years. I have a few friends out here that are interested as well and we have been discussing puting together an impression of Roman legionaries that fall between the last few years of Trajan's reign and the first few years of Hadrian's, with particular focus on a centurio and an optio to start with. We have a few others that are "sitting on the fence", so to speak, and we hope that by getting our kits together we might be able to motivate the others to join us as well.

I look forward to learning as much as possible from you all, and hope that one day I am able to share that knowledge with others as well. My thanks again and well met!

Re: New recruits - MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 09-19-2007

Welcome Chris,

You are right, I am new here myself and RAT provides an excellent source of information on the Roman Empire as a whole, not just the army.

Dont hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Best Regards,
Yuri

Welcome Jim - Primitivus - 09-19-2007

Quote:I'm in my 3rd (and delightfully final) year of law school. I grew up working in the family masonry business and spent a number of years in the army.
UW? (My alma mater.) ...or another university? Congrats on seeing the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Thanks also for your military service.

Welcome Alan - Primitivus - 09-19-2007

Quote:My main interest in ancient history has always been Egypt and this has led to an interest in conquerors of Egypt and this road has eventually led to Rome :-) )
Yes, just one of the many avenues to the Eternal City. I've always found the Roman period of influence in Egypt fascinating. Actually toyed with the notion of pursuing the study of Coptic while I was struggling with my Greek in college.

Welcome Christoph - Primitivus - 09-19-2007

Quote:In my spare time I'm working on my Ph.D. about the relevance and the influence of the Greek and Roman military writers (esp. Aelian, but others too) for the Military Theory and Practice of the Renaissance.
As I've been wedded to one for thirty-one years, I know just how tongue-in-cheek the comment about "spare time" is, coming from a teacher. The subject of your studies does sound fascinating!

Welcome Chris - Primitivus - 09-19-2007

Quote:...we hope that by getting our kits together we might be able to motivate the others to join us as well.
Best of luck with the effort.