RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - maius - 09-19-2007

Chris, welcome to RAT!

I and two other RAT members are starting a new Roman group here in Oregon, (XIIII legio GMV, circa AD 50-60).

I want to wish you luck on forming your group. Once we have our complete kit we plan to start recruiting by setting up displays at Ft. Stevens state park near where i live.

I have found the members of RAT to be a great source in helping us get started. I'm sure you will too.

Again, welcome.

Maius/Bill

Re: Welcome Jim - laukkjd - 09-19-2007

Quote:
laukkjd:eljgsrad Wrote:I'm in my 3rd (and delightfully final) year of law school. I grew up working in the family masonry business and spent a number of years in the army.
UW? (My alma mater.) ...or another university? Congrats on seeing the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Thanks also for your military service.

I'm at Washington & Lee in VA. I'm from Seattle though, so I'll be heading back there once this is done.

Re: New recruits - C. Apollonius Priscus - 09-20-2007

Quote:Hey Alan,

Welcome to RAT. Hope our roman ways dont put you off Egypt, we are always welcoming nubian auxiliaries Big Grin (If there ever was such a thing lol)

Lol, not a chance - Egypt is eternal, Rome is just passing through...
I've borrowed my Roman name from a 1st century Alexandrian that was a member of the Classis Misenensis (Misene Fleet) for those that are interested.

Quote:welcome to RAT. Ancient Egypt is also one of my interests (busy learning to read hieroglyphs right now..). Great "eye of horus" avatar BTW

I taught myself the basic signs about 30 years ago and have forgotten most of them. I toyed with the idea of becoming an Egyptologist many years ago but I just didn't want to teach. Thanks on the avatar. It's off Wiki (and appears reasonably accurate!), just resized and recolored.

Re: New recruits - Sardaukar - 09-20-2007

I guess it's good to introduce myself.

My name is Mika Sihto and I'm 40 yr old ex-Finnish Defence Forces officer now living in Malta, lovely Mediterrainian island.
I have been fascinated by Rome and especially Roman military since I learned how to read. Had 2 career choises in my mind..either study history in university or army officer. Was close decision, but army won.. 8)

Stumbled on this site some time ago when trying to find more information about some late Republic/Principate legions. I really like the amount of information people posting here have.

BTW, Jim Laukkonen...that is Finnish surname...Finnish ancestry, I presume ?

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 09-20-2007

welcome Mika to RAT! Make yourself at home.

Re: New recruits - Caius Marius - 09-20-2007

I would like to say welcome Mika (even tho I am still very new myself ) and would like to say thank you to everyone for the warm welcome.

Good luck on getting your unit going as well, Maius! From what I have read the XIIII is one awesome Legio. We are still rolling around ideas as to which Legio to portray. We are leaning toward one of the ones that was stationed in Britain. As Legio VI Victrix came over to Britain with Hadrian (If memory serves....its 2:30 AM and I'm battling a bout of insomnia, hehe) we had considered that as a choice, but with such an awesome group already bearing that name not to far (300 miles +/-) we don't wish to step on any toes, so we are exploring other avenues as well.

We also had mulled over the possibilty of moving our time frame back a couple years and portraying the IXth, but as we also attend SCA events here in Arizona and in Southern California and may extend our Roman activities into those events we don't want to create any confusion or animosity there either. I have fought both beside and against the Ninth on the battlefield and they have my utmost respect. Many years back the Varangian Guard unit I was part of had the honor of lining up with our scuta next to the Ninth and cometely decimating any that dared to confront us. Ah the memories.... :lol:

Anyhow I am drifting off topic a bit...Thanks again all for the warm welcome! :wink:

Re: New recruits - Ioannis - 09-21-2007

Mika and Chris, welcome aboard!

Smile

Tiro\'s - Paullus Scipio - 09-21-2007

Yes, welcome to all our recent tiro's ! You will find vast amounts of information generally, as well as super little tid-bits about the most obscure things ( the recipe for Garum springs to mind ! ).......not to mention all the pooled experience of the forum's many re-enactors.

Enjoy !! 8) D lol:

Re: New recruits - Sardaukar - 09-22-2007

Thanks for welcoming words !

Cannot resist to point out that original meaning of "Dulce et decorum est" is way more sinister than just beginning of the verse:

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

"How sweet and lovely it is to die for your country:
Death pursues the man who flees,
spares not the hamstrings or cowardly backs
Of battle-shy youths.
"

:wink:

That is a threat of "court-martial" and execution if I have ever seen one... 8)

Horace - Paullus Scipio - 09-22-2007

Quote:That is a threat of "court-martial" and execution if I have ever seen one...

I'm not so sure of that interpretation, Mika !
Isn't it more of an exhortation.....better to die for ones country facing her foes, Smile evil: .........at least that's how I've always understood it. :wink:

newbie post - mbuist - 09-23-2007

Hi everyone, my name is Melville Buist. I've always had an interest in the history of the Roman army. I am currently working on making a Corbridge B segmentata, though I must admit my heart lies with medieval armor and I think I'll switch to that once I've finished. I guess I just don't feel like making all those fittings ad infinitum. In fact I drew the line at making my own rosettes/bosses and that's what brought me here, to pay someone else to make them for me Smile

Re: New recruits - Ioannis - 09-23-2007

Welcome aboard Melville!
Smile

Re: New recruits - Caius Marius - 09-23-2007

Welcome Melville!

Re: New recruits - maius - 09-23-2007

Welcome to the RAT forum Melville, enjoy your time here!

Maius/Bill

Historical Fiction Author, New to Roman Army Talk - Artorius13 - 09-25-2007

Greetings, I am new to Roman Army Talk (RAT...nice acronym! lol) so please bear with me.

My name is James Mace, and I am an author of historical novels about Rome. I'm pleased to see that my first book, "Soldier of Rome: The Legionary" has been reviewed on this site. I classify my books as "historical fiction / based on actual events." Currently I have a sequel in the works, "Soldier of Rome: The Sacrovir Revolt," which is currently being proof-read and edited. I should be ready for publication around November, which means the book should be available around the first of the year.

A bit about me:

Currently my "day job" is serving as a Federal Technician for the Idaho Army National Guard. Come November 2007 I will have been in the military for 14 years (current rank: Sgt First Class / E-7). Working full-time for the Guard is great because I wear the uniform every day, but do not have to move.

I became interested in Rome after watching the series "I, Claudius" back in High School, and subsequently reading the books. My love for anything Roman revived itself a few years ago when I read Altimari's book, "Legion." I then became fanatical about finding anything I could about Roman history. Besides Altimari, two of my favorite authors are George Shipway (author of "Imperial Governor") and Paul Maier (author of "Pontius Pilate"). The sheer lack of books about the Roman legions inspired me to start writing my own. The story of Artorius, a legionary from the 1st Century A.D., has been in my mind for some time, and it was only within the last couple of years that I actually decided to tell his story to the world.

Why am I here? I am here because I see this as a community that supports each other through research and academic feedback. It also seems like a good place to find out about the latest book / film about Rome. I also hope that I can further network my own books to a new audience of readers through here.

I don't do reenactments myself (I don't know of any groups in Idaho), however I am flying to South Carolina in November for Legio VI's annual Castra Romana. I'm really looking forward to getting some hands-on experience!

A question: I did not see anything in the rules regarding advertising one's own website. Is it allowed to have links to our own webpages in our signature blocks? I have a website dedicated to my company, Legionary Books, LLC. Its purpose is to provide information and updates about my books, as well as serving as an educational resource for those interested in the Imperial Legions during the time of Emperor Tiberius. If someone could please let me know before I add my website address to my signature block, I would greatly appreciate it!

I look forward to chatting more with everyone on here, and the learning experience this will provide. With regards,