RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 09-27-2005

Hi Mitra!
Welcome to RAT. Ambitious site you have there, but it could be very interesting * needs to learn to read Italian *

Re: New recruits - locksley - 09-28-2005

Greetings I have been visiting for ages . I am from Nashville Tennessee U.S.A. Ronald Spurlock is my name .
I become interested in Rome in my youth about 1960 when I read Ceasars commentarys on the conquest of Gaul. Several movies near that time fuled my interest and I have read several books on rome.

I have been a member of several S.C.A. groups in Tennessee but am getting to old to do much marching now.
I am a student of history and have been all my life but no degree only 3 years of collage.

Re: New recruits - Bjerhof - 10-09-2005

greetings:

Name: Kenneth Bjerhof.

Not doing re-enacting unfortunetly (sp) since there is no such thing in denmark *sniff* but we have lots of LARP, so my idea is to start a roman group there, and see what it leads to.

My interest actally started when I looked through my grandfarthers books, and came over some books he had about ancient rome, and so I started reading, and also began to search for sites on the net, and thats about 4-5 years ago I think.

Ive been looking for a place to ask all my "newbie" questions for a while, and thought that this must be the perfect place, so here I am Smile

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 10-09-2005

Hi Kenneth,
Welcome to RAT and enjoy the board. Please don't be afraid to ask any newbie questions! Check out the search (top of the page)-function to search the board. We have discussed a lot of subjects in the past, but there are always new angles and new questions to be asked.

Re: New recruits - Bjerhof - 10-09-2005

Thank you for the welcome, I wont hesitate to use the search Smile already been reading quite a bit of the posts here.

Re: New recruits - FAVENTIANVS - 10-11-2005

Welcome Kenneth!

Did you know that one of the best Roman weaponry finds, from the 3rd century AD, are in Danmark, at Illerup?!
[url:1p6jhopd]http://www.illerup.dk/[/url]

Re: New recruits - Bjerhof - 10-11-2005

no, I didnt actually!

The things Ive seen the most at danish museums are from the vikings, maybe I should visit Illerup sometime then, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Also found out theres a roman re-enacting group starting here in denmark.

Re: New recruits - arklore70 - 10-19-2005

Hello All,

signing in here for the first time.

I am interested in Rome for professional as well as academic reasons. I am also into re enactments as well and I am currently working on a late first century AD/early second century AD impression.

Cheers!!

Re: New recruits - aitor iriarte - 10-19-2005

Hello Marcus,
Welcome to RAT Big Grin
Are you re-enacting inside any concrete group?
Please, don't forget to include at least your real first name and the place where you are living, forum rules... :wink:

Aitor

Re: New recruits - arklore70 - 10-20-2005

Woops,

my mistake Smile

I am currently affiliated with Legio VI out of South Carolina.

I am just starting in the re enactment hobby, but so far I am loving it and very impressed with the skills and knowledge of the people I have encountered so far.

I currently hail from Fayetteville, North Carolina, U.S.A.

v/r
Mike

Re: New recruits - aitor iriarte - 10-20-2005

Thanks, Mike! Big Grin

Aitor

Re: New recruits - Jim Lennon - 10-20-2005

Ave,
My name's Jim Lennon. I'm from N.Y. I've always been interested in the Roman Army but what really hooked me was visiting some museums and sites in the Swäbische Alps during a trip to Germany to visit long lost family that I had the luck to find. They were right where we left them in Inneringen for anyone who may know the area. Anyway the area was full of ancient sites and it resparked my interest in the period. I reenact other periods and am presently working on my Roman kit.

Jim Lennon
(No Roman name.....yet)

Re: New recruits - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 10-20-2005

Welcome Castvs & Jim. Glad to have you. I'm fairly new here myself. Castvs, Is that the same group that Rusty Myers is in?I had a few friends in the old Army days stationed in Fayetteville. Jim,where exactly in the Schwaebisch Alps? I was stationed in Schwaebisch Gmu(e)nd in the 80's. I was able to visit the Limes Museum in nearby Aalen. I look forward to seeing you guys posting here.Vale,Andy(GaivsAntonivsScaeva) Smile Sorry,guys,I got my wires crossed earlier.

Re: New recruits - Jim Lennon - 10-21-2005

Ave Andy,
I was in Inneringen, which was my greatgrandmothers birthplace. It's about 16k north of Sigmaringen. One of the main streets is Römerstrasse.
They told me it was settled by a combination of Germanic peoples in the 8th c.
There were lots of good things to see there.

Jim Lennon

Re: New recruits - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 10-21-2005

Ave,Jim. Thanks for the response. Sorry I asked where before reading your post closer. I'm familiar with Inneringen. Wish I could return now that I have more time to see things. Boy those Suebi( as Caesar called them) really got around there.Pretty tough people according to history.I'll look forward to your posts here.Any pictures of your visit?? Vale,Andy