RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Recruits - Paullus Scipio - 11-25-2007

....don't sweat it too much, Bob! Smile If you look, you will see dozens of 'newbies' pinged for it! (including me when I joined).

It took me ages, and having to ask other people to figure out how to use the 'auto-signature'block in your profile.......

Obviously, this aspect of joining is less than perfect and needs to be signposted better. Sad

One would have thought that our diligent moderators would have got fed up with having to constantly remind/show 'newbies' what to do, and recommended some changes to the site, but that hasn't happened yet...... :wink:

Maybe it weill be addressed in the up-coming RAT v3 ? Smile D

Re: New recruits - Bran ap Maclou - 11-25-2007

Hi !

My name's Greg ! Aka Bran ap Maclou from seguntienses based on litus saxonicum, Letavian (Brittany) coasts, in 500 AD.

Western empire no longer exist but we (particularly our aristocrats) still claim that we are roman even if we go on using ancient celtic laws also. Christianism begins to really spread in the region brought mainly by irish monks seemingly and we have both gallo-roman people and migrants from (Great) Britain in the army (plus perhaps few pictish or irish auxiliaries or frankish-origin troopers).
Normally, our main missions are river patrolling, coastguarding, pirates preventing and "customs enforcement". So, we are studying to determine if seguntienses were not simply light marine troopers :wink: .

So the project of this new troop in western France date from 8 months, and it is a new challege for us and me particularly because I'm a beginner. Happily we progress quickly thanks to the help of other "late roman troops".

So, I hope that i will learn a lot from you and I will be happy if I can help you so often that I can.

regards,

Greg
(also known as the ferret)

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 11-26-2007

Welcome to all the newcomers I haven't welcomed yet! Big Grin
Quote:One would have thought that our diligent moderators would have got fed up with having to constantly remind/show 'newbies' what to do, and recommended some changes to the site, but that hasn't happened yet...... Wink
Paul, RAT is a community run, all volunteer website. I assume by now you know exactly what goes where, so why don't you write a post on what and how 'newbies' should do. I'll then link it from the 'New members: read first' thread. Big Grin

Re: New recruits - The Purple People Eater - 11-26-2007

A 'Getting Started' thread would be a nice addition. Something to cover uses of the forums, this whole signature block mystery, some medal explanations (even if they're just copied and pasted in from the medals page, might be nice to explain the awards), and maybe cover some of the re-enactment communities represented here.

Beginner\'s guide - Paullus Scipio - 11-26-2007

Jasper wrote:-
Quote:Paul, RAT is a community run, all volunteer website. I assume by now you know exactly what goes where, so why don't you write a post on what and how 'newbies' should do. I'll then link it from the 'New members: read first' thread.

..I'd love to be able to help, Jasper, but as I've mentioned before, I'm a "techno-dinosaur"...I had to have help to do signature and avatar, and I still don't know what goes where.... Sad cry:

At the moment, I'm trying to load 20 or so photos onto RAT via "Image shack" , and failing dismally !! I spent most of my spare time at the weekend trying to do it, in vain, and had to stop when I got to the 'throwing the monitor through the window' stage!....when I do manage to do something, I find a month later I can't remember how, and have to go through 'trial-and-error' all over again, usually getting 'there' by a totally different way than last time....... I'm a sad case, I know..: Smile cry: :oops:
If you need help, and it's something I can do, I'll gladly help..... Smile

Re: New recruits - Tarbicus - 11-26-2007

Make sure you are logged in

Click -Profile- at the top of the page

Click the -Profile- tab that sits next to -Home-

Click the -Signature- tab

Enter your text (limit of 350 characters)

Click -Submit-

That's it.

I understand that much. I run a phpBB forum, so this isn't anything new. Not so sure about the format of this signature though. Apparently this was wrong, and I'd like to know why:

Quote:Bob Kimball [aka The Purple People Eater]
Purple Design Studios Founder
0 A.D. Texture Artist

But without the second line and the bold, my signature is acceptable? This whole system is a little confusing. I get the real name bit.

Maybe there's something in the actual URL that messes up the link? Does a missing www cause problems?

BTW, I did the step-by-step for general reference for others :wink:

It definitely shouldn't, but would it be too hard to ask to add the www? Big Grin

Quote:It definitely shouldn't, but would it be too hard to ask to add the www? Big Grin
That would need to be in the destination URL, I'd imagine.

Yes, but I can assure you that it isn't necessary. Unless you're running Windows 95, your browser should know what that link goes to.

But neither here nor there, I'm glad I finally registered. Before I never found a need to. Smile

Re: New recruits - Libitina - 11-26-2007

Welcome Bob and any other new people Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 11-26-2007

Quote:Bob Kimball [aka The Purple People Eater]
I'm wondering.. Do you eat Purple People or are you purple and you eat people? :wink:

I'm Bob. Smile And I'm purple and I eat people. So watch yourself.

Quote:I'm Bob. Smile And I'm purple...
You can get a cream for that, Bob.