RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - The Purple People Eater - 11-26-2007

Lol. Oh yeah, is there a way to force unsubscribe myself from this topic?

Re: New recruits - Spetsnaz - 11-27-2007

Hey everyone.

My name is Ryan, no Roman style name yet since I've only gotten started with the Roman Reenacting. I'm twenty years old.

I'm from the north central Ohio area in the United States. My life is quite simple, I live on a farm, like to go out and hunt, target shoot, and all that sort of fun.

I've been a history buff since I've been a kid, my real big interest in ancient technology came when I was an early teen playing Age of Empires. This sprouted my interest in the ancient world and I instantly fell into place with the Romans. The Romans have always fascinated me in many ways. I've been a huge fan of many movies and shows, even if some of them are a little incorrect. I liked the series 'Rome' that aired on HBO, and of course the movie Gladiator. Inaccuracies aside on both, the whole Roman theme just draws me in like candy.

A couple years ago my interest in Rome sprouted once more with a game. Rome: Total War. Being interested in Rome, this game was instantly in my hands the day it came out.

In around 2005 I wanted to do Roman Reenacting. My original intention was to do World War 2, though the sheer price of everything kept me back. I saw Roman Reenacting as two major plus marks. One, I love Rome, the gear set up and weapons, and two, it's a cheaper long run hobby, as I will not have to blow money all the time on blanks and so on. But with school, as quickly as my interest came it was faded by my school work.

Though, come about two weeks ago, my interest once more sprouted out. I found all the old websites and handbooks online and then stumbled upon this forum. So begins my steps into reenacting.

I'd say the big reason I'm here is to be on a forum with people that have similar interests, to have you Roman reenacting vets help the poor new guy that I am, and learn even more on this fascinating chapter in history.

Right now, in my life, I'm simply a security guard and a volunteer firefighter. Not much really going on. I do have a similar hobby to Roman Reenacting, I dress up as video game characters and attend conventions.I also staff one convention (Security and medical for the con.) So, creating outfits and such is nothing new to me.

However my outfits are usually military oriented;

Here's some of my work;

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1329347

PMC Soldier from Metal Gear Solid 4.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1306005

Umbrella Corp. Special Forces soldier from Resident Evil.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=942254

Gurulokovich Soldier from Metal Gear Solid 2.

Not to show off or anything, I just thought I'd slap up some of those incase some people has some interest.

I really look forward to talking to many of you, and hopefully someday will run into you guys in person geared up. Thanks everyone for the help so far and the great welcome you guys have given me. I feel very in place here and very comfortable asking things, everyone has been great.

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 11-28-2007

Great costumes, Ryan. Really nice details! You say you've been to conventions ... you ever been to DragonCon in Atlanta? Your costumes would fit right in (hmm, though I believe they've recently banned realistic-looking "guns").

Anyway, welcome to RAT. The guys and gals here are wonderful people and I know you will learn a lot. Smile

Re: New recruits - Spetsnaz - 11-28-2007

Thank you!

Nah, I tried to make it this year but time and funds prevented it.

The two cons I go to are Otakon and Ohayocon, however I'm looking to add perhaps a third convention to my con list in 08.

Re: New recruits - maius - 11-28-2007

Welcome Bob and Ryan to the forum. Smile

Maius/Bill

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 11-29-2007

Quote:
Nah, I tried to make it this year but time and funds prevented it.

I hear you. I haven't been able to go since 2002 ... It gets awfully expensive once you add up the admission fee, hotel, transport, etc. I'm trying to go there next year and cosplay as a Pegasus officer (from Battlestar Galactica).

Hope you have fun here at RAT. hey, you should get a Roman name though! Tongue

Re: New recruits - Syr Ateas - 12-02-2007

Another new member just saying hello Big Grin

I'm an archaeologist at an East Midlands university in the UK and researching the Scythians for my future PhD, although I also 'dabble' with the Romans - I'm currently helping with a Samian Ware project and recording one of the UK's biggest collection of Samian pottery for future publication.

I also reenact and have done so for the last 20 years covering much later periods, but now I am beginning to be drawn to this period. Yes, I am open to recruitment if your group covers my interests!! ;-) )

Apart from that, I shall mainly lurk, and only contribute if I have something of interest to post, or if I can either answer a question or have one to ask everyone else.

Re: New recruits - Libitina - 12-02-2007

Welcome Syr Ateas!

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 12-02-2007

Salve Marika! Smile

Why thank you for your welcome Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Caballo - 12-02-2007

Welcome Syr Ateas!

The RMRS (Leg XIIII) is frequently quite near you at The Lunt, Baginton near Coventry if you ever fancy a trip. Link below in my signature.

Cheers

Caballo

Quote:Welcome Syr Ateas!

The RMRS (Leg XIIII) is frequently quite near you at The Lunt, Baginton near Coventry if you ever fancy a trip. Link below in my signature.

Cheers

Caballo

I'm hoping to pop down there sometime (I live in Leics) with some Americans who have come over here to study the Romans and Greeks at my faculty. They are itching to see some Roman sites around the UK 8)

Right, back to attempting the system to accept my Avatar. No matter how small I shrink it and others its not accepted. Cry

Edit: Avatar now sorted.

Hello Everyone. - Granpa - 12-04-2007

Just saying hello to everyone, first post here in the process of looking for a re-enactment group in south of england,and looking at kit. Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 12-04-2007

Hi Andy,

Looking for a group? What period?

Re: New recruits - Granpa - 12-04-2007

Quote:Hi Andy,

Looking for a group? What period?
Hello
I am interested in any period ,I suppose it would be whichever group was nearest to me that would be willing to have a complete beginner in there midst to create havoc.