RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - vergilius - 01-03-2008

Like most of you (I guess) I've been interested in history since day one. The Romans are not the only period of interest but one of the biggest (wo II and American Civil War also).
One of my other hobbies is figure painting and for that I do a lot of research. At the moment I've started painting an soldier of an auxiliary unit on hadrians wall.
If you like you can see some of my work on www.hz-forum.de

Forgot to say : if you want to see my work, go to Gallerie and under 'C' you'll find it.
:lol:

Re: New recruits - Marcus Mummius - 01-03-2008

Welcome to RAT, Vergilius.

You must really add your real name to you signature. This is a forum rule. If you do not do it the mods will be coming for you :wink:

Oh, and by the way, I send you a PM.

Vale,

Oops sorry!
I'll fly to my profile at once !!

now let's see if it works

Re: New recruits - Marcus Mummius - 01-03-2008

Quote:now let's see if it works

Great Smile

And I've send you a message.

Vale,

Got it and posted you an answer !

Vale
(I guess it's a greeting. I've got to brush up my latin)

okay, here's my first question.
I saw on RAT that members can donate money. You can even get a medal for it.
My question is; what happens with the money? Do we support roman orphans? archeological digs? My wedding ? Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 01-03-2008

Hi Patrick,
The money is used for the upkeep of the site. Hosting it, for instance, costs about USD20 a month. The software we use to run the forum and main site is mostly free, but some special components are not. The software used to run the helmet and gravestone database cost us 100 euros. Satsobek designed the site for free, but if we ever want an updated design, I'll have to placate and woe her with gifts. :wink:

Re: New recruits - Libitina - 01-03-2008

Welcome to RAT Patrick. If you're dishing out money I know a good cause - cheques made payable to the "Libitina-Spent-Too-Much-Money-Over-Christmas-Fund".

Re: New Guy - muskitear - 01-03-2008

Quote:Hello everyone,

I live in Barrie, Ontario and I am a history buff. I like the Roman period because it has depth and they were everywhere!

Brian Luscombe

Except the Canadian and American continents.... Big Grin LOL

Roman settlements - muskitear - 01-03-2008

Anyone live close to an old settlement?
I live approximately 20 minutes from Caleva (Silchester)
Ive been up there at night and its really spooky. We have several old Roman roads close to us which are little more than bridle paths now.

Re: New recruits - maius - 01-03-2008

Hi Brian, glad to have you here. Welcome to RAT !

Maius/Bill

Re: New Guy - Senovara - 01-03-2008

Quote:Hello everyone,

I live in Barrie, Ontario and I am a history buff. I like the Roman period because it has depth and they were everywhere!

Brian Luscombe

Welcome to RAT Brian! Smile
If you're into reenactment at all, you might be interested in joining a branch of Legio XXX, based in Ontario.

Re: Roman settlements - vergilius - 01-04-2008

Quote:Anyone live close to an old settlement?
I live approximately 20 minutes from Caleva (Silchester)
Ive been up there at night and its really spooky. We have several old Roman roads close to us which are little more than bridle paths now.

Welcome !! I don' t live in the neighbourhood but I'm just rereading 'the eagle of the ninth' which is partly set in your town. Would be cool to visit it one day, maybe we'll find that eagle back?