RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: Roman settlements - muskitear - 01-04-2008

Quote:
muskitear:gmr3d4vh Wrote:Anyone live close to an old settlement?
I live approximately 20 minutes from Caleva (Silchester)
Ive been up there at night and its really spooky. We have several old Roman roads close to us which are little more than bridle paths now.

Welcome !! I don' t live in the neighbourhood but I'm just rereading 'the eagle of the ninth' which is partly set in your town. Would be cool to visit it one day, maybe we'll find that eagle back?
Hi Patrick
I read that a long time ago. The IXth Hispana was supposed to have disappeared totally. How the hell could a whole legion vanish into thin air without one single bit of kit being found. I have read many different theory's on it. Its about as mysterious as the Bermuda triangle.

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 01-04-2008

Quote:Its about as mysterious as the Bermuda triangle
Well, I dunno about the Bermuda triangle, but the IXth certainly did not disappear into the mist of Scotland...

And welcome to everyone I haven't welcomed lately! Big Grin

Re: New recruits - muskitear - 01-04-2008

Quote:
Quote:Its about as mysterious as the Bermuda triangle
Well, I dunno about the Bermuda triangle, but the IXth certainly did not disappear into the mist of Scotland...

And welcome to everyone I haven't welcomed lately! Big Grin

Where did they go?? If they went that is!!!
Maybe its just a Roman conspiracy theory... Maybe they only existed on paper and some Legate was collecting their wages and setting himself up with a nice holiday home in Spain. Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 01-05-2008

Likely the legion disappeared somewhere in the Near East. Do a search here on RAT and you'll find several interesting threads.

Re: New recruits - vergilius - 01-07-2008

I've read that they found evidence that the legion left England, so they certainly didn't disappear in England. (great story though)
What's interests me is that the autor claims that archaeologists found an
eagle there. I never heard before that a roman eagle ever was found

Thanks for everyone\'s kind welcome - Brian Luscombe - 01-07-2008

I have been in touch with Matt up here in Ontario and am looking forward to meeting you all in the future.

Brian

Re: New recruits - Bato - 01-08-2008

Hi guys

I'm Kristi and, I'm albanian. I live in Tirana and I'm graduate in History

Re: New recruits - Libitina - 01-08-2008

Welcome to the site Kristi! Big Grin

Re: New recruits - vergilius - 01-10-2008

Welcome
And congratulations with your very interesting graduation !

my intro - apierucci - 01-13-2008

Hi, my name is Andy Pierucci, I am 19, and I am from stockton, California.

Re: my intro - Libitina - 01-13-2008

Quote:Hi, my name is Andy Pierucci, I am 19, and I am from stockton, California.

Hiya Andy

Welcome to the message boards Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Iagoba - 01-13-2008

Hi everybody! Big Grin

Newcomers:

Don´t be afraid if RAT seems to be too technical or a high-level history discussion...

We all started from zero :wink:

You´ll never stop learning new things here! Big Grin

who am I - PhilusEstilius - 01-14-2008

Hi cant remember if I have given this info already, not to worry here I go maybe again. I live in the north of England near Hadrians' Wall. I became interested in Roman history way back in 1948, after my first visit to the wall. I have in the past been involved in reenactment, however those days are gone now. I like to consider myself as an experimental archaeologist, from the fact that I have been reproducing Roman Armour and Weaponry for the last 30 years now. At this time however all my armour making is on hold for the time being, a bit of a health thing that I hope will be resovlved very soon. I have often heard of RAT so I decided to see if I might be able to make some form of contrbution. Roman history I do enjoy, so where other than at a place where I shall meet so many other interested people......... yours sincerly Brian Stobbs

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 01-14-2008

Welcome to the forum Brian!

leg 1X - PhilusEstilius - 01-14-2008

As Jasper has to say it may have somthing to with the near east, but then we learn that the last recorded evidence of is around 98AD on roof tyles from Eboracum. then we also hear of an uprising in Britan around 117 AD to 119AD ....Did it fall into digrace was dibanded for there is evidence that some of its officers appear in Holland and the near east after these dates. I suppose its very much a romantic tale of disapearance or destruction in Britain. .....Brian Stobbs