RomanArmyTalk
Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. (/showthread.php?tid=10149)

Pages: 1 2

Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Mark Headlee - 08-10-2007

Ave,

Just received today my naalbound socks from Verena Mullins:

http://www.knittnchicken.com/index.html

The socks are fantastic and the stitching is perfect. The fit is right on, I could have not asked for more. If you are in the market for a pair of authentic Roman socks, please drop Verena a line...I know you will not be disappointed!

THANKS VERENA AND PAUL! Big Grin D D

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Chuck Russell - 08-10-2007

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm verena mullins..... chickens.......... umm!! ya her socks ya they kicksass EVEN THOUGH SHE HASNT MADE ME A PAIR!!!! slacker Wink heheh but then again i guess i gotta pay her first Wink they really are top notch stuff

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Gaius_Calvus - 08-10-2007

Sweet, Mark.

How long did it take her to do them for you?

Edge

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Mark Headlee - 08-12-2007

Edge,

I can't really say what her lead time is since I told her I was in no hurry to have the socks. To be safe, I would ask her yourself (I'm sure it depends on her work load, family responsibilities, and other factors...)

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Gaius_Calvus - 08-13-2007

Thanks, Mark -- as always. Big Grin

Edge

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Chris B - 08-15-2007

I just ordered a pair myself and was told I am 15th on the list and that each pair takes 4-8 weeks to make. If anyone is seriously considering buying a pair from her, I would get your orders in.

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - James B. - 08-15-2007

I have a pair and wore them at Pennsic last week. I wore them one night after 3 or 4 big storms had passed by and stepped in the mud with them; kept my foot nice and warm Big Grin . Quick rinse the next day and they were as good as new. She makes a real nice product.

The thing I could not believe when I first wore them is how well they conform to the foot especially at the arch; she really has the pattern down.

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-15-2007

YES ok I will, I'm offshore and want ot get my measurements right before I order! No point in having the good lady go to all that trouble, then have them not fit! :roll: Big Grin

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 08-15-2007

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but has anyone checked the dates or origin of naalbinding? A year ago we all got excited about this and I just had to have some. I researched the technique and had my wife learn it
while totally ignoring the fact that this is a Scandinavian way of knitting(actually knotting)dated around the Saxon,Viking era. Google will show several sites for it and all dated to VERY late Roman,more like medieval period. I believe 4th C is the earliest and mostly later.
I'm not trying to take any income or fun away from anyone but it seems again a case of getting caught up in a fad without checking first. I realize that suddenly late Roman has become the new thing so if that's the case go for it. Pretty sure 1st-2nd C Romans had to make do with something else.
Before the fallout starts let me restate-No offense meant. Just trying to clarify. Smile

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - James B. - 08-15-2007

Andy

I can't say that her naalbinding weave is the same as the weave used in extant Roman socks or not but they are woven and not knitted. That is a huge difference. I have read up some on "Viking" and Anglo Saxon naalbinding and there are many different weaves under the term of naalbinding.

What is important is that Roman socks were woven to shape not knitted and "naalbinding" is woven not knitted. If you want an exact replica I cannot speak to the differences in the weave if there are any.

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-16-2007

as long as they stop my toes wearing raw, and keep my feet warm in february, they will be better than my socks.... :wink:

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Tarbicus - 08-16-2007

Victoria & Albert Museum - Coptic period knitted sock described as knitted with one needle.

Link here for the sock

[Image: CT126566d.jpg]

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Primvs Pavlvs - 08-16-2007

Quote:What is important is that Roman socks were woven to shape not knitted and "naalbinding" is woven not knitted. If you want an exact replica I cannot speak to the differences in the weave if there are any.

I was going to stay out of this discussion since Verena is my wife.

However I want to point out that she is the expert when it comes to knitting/naalbinding, and all matters dealing with string. She insists that there are extant socks that were not naalbound(binded), but were indeed knitted.

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS - 08-16-2007

Quote:mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm verena mullins..... chickens.......... umm!! ya her socks ya they kicksass EVEN THOUGH SHE HASNT MADE ME A PAIR!!!! slacker Wink heheh but then again i guess i gotta pay her first Wink they really are top notch stuff
Good, I am number 12 on the list... if you're above me feel free to cancel your order so I can have mine sooner :-Þ

Re: Verena Mullins Naalbound socks.. - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-16-2007

I doubt there are too many members of congress on the list, but you never know! :wink: