RomanArmyTalk
Show here your gladiator impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ancient Combat Sports (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Show here your gladiator impression (/showthread.php?tid=10185)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Show here your gladiator impression - Medusa Gladiatrix - 08-15-2007

Avete Gladiatores,

Since for the Roman soldiers and the Greek warriors a section like this exists I set up one for us gladiators as well because I do wonder what you others look like, what types you are fighting in.

Unfortunately I cannot start this section with pics of my own because I had photos taken at Xanten but the journalist who did so has not sent them to me yet Cry If you want I could only post the pic again which I had posted at Matt L's section in the pectorale thread but that doesn't show me in my complete gear though Sad

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Lusitano - 08-15-2007

Here is mine as a Retiarius.

Picture was taken in Bracara Augusta in Portugal.

I'm Still not happy with the "gear" but it was what i could get at the time

[Image: DSC07485.jpg]

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Titus Martius - 08-15-2007

Few pics of our gladiators -

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Marcus Mummius - 08-15-2007

@Lusitano: A question about your squamata armguard. Is this the way the scales are supposed to overlap and not in the other direction? Because it seems to me that it would be easy to get stabbed between the scales if they are in the direction yours are...

Nice impressions guys!

vale,

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - M. Demetrius - 08-15-2007

Or easy to be cut from an overhead swipe if they went the other way. Hard to say, y'know? Same would apply for a "manica segmentata". But generally speaking there would be padding, like the hair-stuffed linen pads below the scale/segments anyway, for the same reasons that padding goes under other armor, right?

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Lusitano - 08-16-2007

Quote:@Lusitano: A question about your squamata armguard. Is this the way the scales are supposed to overlap and not in the other direction? Because it seems to me that it would be easy to get stabbed between the scales if they are in the direction yours are...

Nice impressions guys!

vale,

There are a couple of reasons why i made it that way.
One of them is related with net throwing, with the scales the other way around i found that sometimes the net would not get properly "tossed" if it touched my left arm for some reason, it doesnt get stuck or anything but takes out precious momentum, also if my oponent for some reason decides to throw my net against me i simply put my arm out and the net doesnt it me, while with the other hand the trident keeps my oponent and range.
Altough you are correct in saying that stabbing would be easier with the scales in that direction it also prevents them from going up, like into my neck (i dont have a galerus....yet).
I just made them that way because it seemed more pratical, at least for me

This was my first try at retiarius, and did many things just by testing them, not knowing for sure if it was the proper way or not, sugestions are always welcome.

Provocatrix Medusa - Medusa Gladiatrix - 08-23-2007

Since I started this post I feel of course obliged to add a picture of me too. I had some taken at the Roman festival in Xanten by Marcel Bieger of the Karfunkel magazine and this is one of them.

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - F. Antili Oregensis - 08-24-2007

It'll be a couple of months before I'll be ready to post any pics.
Loosing too much weight right now, and none of the impressions are completely ready yet.

Aries

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Iceman - 09-16-2007

Here's me (Brutus) and my little boy in the Deva Ampitheatre last week.

[Image: Brutusandjake.jpg]

And also me (Brutus) Lupus and my little boy.

[Image: CopyofSP_A0017.jpg]

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - john m roberts - 09-16-2007

Svenja,
Where did you get your provocator helmet? Was it made for you?

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Medusa Gladiatrix - 09-16-2007

Hi John,

The helmet was custom made by a German smith who's not registered on this forum. He made it after the Pompeii find of the provocator helmet with the lunula repair marks on it. If you want I can give you his details by PN.

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - john m roberts - 09-17-2007

Svenja,
Please do. Did your helm come complete with the big crack and the lunula?

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Martin Kealey - 09-29-2007

Here are some images of us Georgia Boys at play.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

P.S. I'm the good looking thraex in the red feathers

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-29-2007

Quote:Here are some images of us Georgia Boys at play.

Lookin' good Martin! Nice setting, too!

Re: Show here your gladiator impression - Martin Kealey - 09-30-2007

That was at the Parthenon (sic) at Nashville, TN. One h**l of a get together.