RomanArmyTalk
Duty to the Public? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Duty to the Public? (/showthread.php?tid=10233)

Pages: 1 2

Duty to the Public? - Primvs Pavlvs - 08-20-2007

I have noticed that many re-enactors, undead historians, living historians, etc etc have expressed the opinion that its our duty to educate the public, and to educate it to the best of our ability.

I am curious where this notion comes from, and why is it "our" duty to educate?

Personally I do this as a hobby, not to stand around and educate people.

Re: Duty to the Public? - Memmia - 08-20-2007

As a 'member of the public' I don't go to these events purely to get educated. Entertainment, plus, being a 'visual' type of person, enjoyment of seeing the living history of a subject I am interested in is probably highest on the agenda, and the next best thing to seeing the actual historical events. Education at the events is a much welcomed 'bonus' though, and I have learned a lot of info from attending events and speaking to re enactors (as well as on this forum). I sincerely doubt that most members of the public turn up at the events purely to learn. I think there are too many different agendas with what the public wants and why people are re enactors- for example - a hobby for yourself, Paul, to state it is a duty for everyone.

Although, on the flip side, If I ever get a chance to re enact (and hopefully will in the near future) my prime reason for doing so would be mainly to educate and demonstrate- but that's just probably my 'vocational' personality seeing as I work in education- helping to educate and doing demonstrations in front of people Big Grin .
Everyone is different.

Re: Duty to the Public? - Wes - 08-20-2007

I too do his as a hobby, but I make special "concessions" to the kids that show up. Alot ar not really there to learn, but drug along by parents. For my 18th century thing, my daughters usually go with me (my wife thinking I am nuts, stays home in the A/C) and I have a stash of candy. I will show the kids things, demo's etc. Plus, our club does a "Candy Cannon" for the wee bairns. Hard not to smile when you see a ton of kids running to get candy!!

But mostly a hobby......Others mileage may vary.

Wes

Duty to the public - Paullus Scipio - 08-20-2007

.... if you learn something 'new', is it not a natural thing to want to share it with others ?
Especially those 'fraters' who also share the same interest...and I don't exclude the female gender, I just can't recall the latin for sisters ( it's late here in Oz ! )
One of the best re-enactment 'acts' I know is a demonstration of mediaeval surgery (by a lady vet !!! ) which never fails to both entertain and inform the public......
Surely a thing worthwhile doing, even if not a 'duty' ????? Smile )

Re: Duty to the Public? - M. Demetrius - 08-20-2007

I don't think of it so much as a duty, but as a pleasure. It's nice when something you've learned is of interest to someone else. I do agree with the concept that it's a very important thing to recruit and/or spark an interest in the young ones, because without that, our hobby will become even smaller, suppliers will cease to research and develop new products, and the next generation will have an even harder time getting the gear together.

Re: Duty to the Public? - Marcus Mummius - 08-20-2007

I agree with all the points made above. I think educating the public and giving them an accurate picture is only a duty if you promise to do this. If you tell the public: "this equipment is an almost perfect replica and looks almost exactly like the original did, it is your duty to make sure what you say is true. Otherwise you're misinforming the public.

If one of the aims of your group is to educate the public and you tell the organiser of an event that your group will take the time to talk to the public and try to have them learn new things, then it is indeed your duty. If you only promise to give the people entertainment and a good show then it is not your duty to educate.

Like Memmia said, it can be different for different people. As an archaeologist or a historian the line between work an hobby is a bit fuzzy Smile And I think for a lot of those people archaeoloy and history is not merely a hobby but one of the most important things in their life...

Vale

Re: Duty to the Public? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-20-2007

Educating the public? What do you mean?
I thought we were all drilling so we could subjugate the vast, unwashed barbarian lands more easily!? Confusedhock: :?: :!: :?

Re: Duty to the Public? - M. Demetrius - 08-20-2007

Subjugation is Education taken out of the schoolroom into the living room.

Re: Duty to the Public? - Jona Lendering - 08-20-2007

Quote:I am curious where this notion comes from, and why is it "our" duty to educate?

Personally I do this as a hobby, not to stand around and educate people.
The only ones who have a duty to educate the people, are the ones who get paid for it. So, that's the people employed by a university - and, as I have already said too often, I have a feeling that they have let the people down.

If I pay a lot of money to visit an open air museum like Archeon, I think I can ask the reenactors, and they owe me an explanation. Which they are often happy to give. (This is how I met our Robert Vermaat, even though I started to ask him questions while he was having lunch with his family; still, he posed for the camera.)

Finally, I get paid for my school and I feel that outside school, I have some responsibility as well. But I must confess that the current rate of more than hundred mail messages per week is slowly becoming too much; I have taken precautions.

Quote:Subjugation is Education taken out of the schoolroom into the living room.
Are you sure you are not the author of the Devil's Dictionary? :wink:

Re: Duty to the Public? - Matthew Amt - 08-20-2007

Quote:The only ones who have a duty to educate the people, are the ones who get paid for it.

Oh, I don't think I agree with that. Now, I don't really feel that every reenactor has to be intent on education. But I DO think that the public learns from us, and comes to our events because of the neat stuff to see and find out about. We are attractive to them because we are alive and interactive and have tons of great stuff and information. So just by being there with the public, we are being educational whether we intend to or not. If a kid picks up a helmet or shield, he learns--and it's his curiosity that made him pick it up in the first place, eh? When a confused and disoriented visitor asks, "Are you really going to eat that?", your answer will teach him. If your response isn't too sarcastic, he may even discover that he wants to learn more.

So it's not so much that we have a duty to educate--education is simply an unavoidable side effect of our hobby.

The *duty* is to historical accuracy. We should try to make sure that everything the public learns from us is as accurate as possible. Authenticity is a reflection of our scholarship, craftsmanship, and professionalism. We need to be true to ourselves and true to the history we claim to love. Simple as that.

By the way, I'm not a college professor, but I do visit schools to perform living history demos, and I get paid for those. So I certainly do consider myself a professional with a duty to educate.

And it's FUN!! Yes, hobbies should be fun, but teaching IS fun!

Valete,

Matthew

Re: Duty to the Public? - Maximio - 08-20-2007

There are a lot of reasons I do this -

It gives me a diversion from all the stress and strain of daily life.
It's good to hang out with like minded people (and take the P out of them).
I have learnt much about a most fascinating period of history.
I have developed new skills in craftsmanship.
It has given me the opportunity to visit many sites and view them from a different perspective.
It satisfies that overgrown schoolboy in me that always enjoyed pretending to be a Roman soldier.

Yes I do enjoy talking to the public about Roman society and life. But do I owe them some form of duty? A duty to the idiots who come up and ask - Are you a real Roman?

Absolutely not.

If anyone deserves that duty it is the men (and women) who built an empire and lived those days. To them there is a sense of wanting to make our modern world understand them just a little better.

Re: Duty to the Public? - Salvianus - 08-20-2007

Quote: The *duty* is to historical accuracy. We should try to make sure that everything the public learns from us is as accurate as possible. Authenticity is a reflection of our scholarship, craftsmanship, and professionalism...

And it's FUN!! Yes, hobbies should be fun, but teaching IS fun!

Amen to that.

Obviously different groups & events do have different aims with respect to authenticity and education vs entertainment and I would argue that is a good thing: my groups vary a great deal on the continuum between experimental archaeology and theatre at different times and I enjoy the whole spectrum!

I would say that the main problem is communicating this clearly to the public.

Re: Duty to the Public? - gaiusseptimiuslucianus - 08-20-2007

Quote:I don't think of it so much as a duty, but as a pleasure. It's nice when something you've learned is of interest to someone else.

Demetrius,

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm delighted when I can connect with someone and when we can have a conversation. If we both can go away having learned a little something then that's great, them by my teaching and me by perhaps getting a different perspective on my subject. And if its a child or youth I'm talking with all the better. Bring 'em on!

Lucianus

hobby, duty and fulfillment - richsc - 08-21-2007

It's my hobby as well, and is a really great way to get a grip on many topics that resonate today (globalization is one of my pet ones). But I find it extremely rewarding and fulfilling to help the public see history and discover where they fit in it. Otherwise I feel a bit selfish with all this stuff, rather like a collector who hordes finds which never see the light of day.

Re: Duty to the Public? - Magnus - 08-21-2007

You know what? With all the changes and the massive amount of GREY area there seems to be in our evidence not to mention individual interpretation, I don't know if I care anymore.

I used to put education of the public up there with "fun" but now I am finding there is so much stuff going around that it's no longer as fun lol. Especially given the burning zeal with which some go after the accuracy goal. It's just not for me...some find this to be a hobby, yet others seem to view it as an all consuming organism that they must constantly feed lol. I like to think there's more to life...like the bronze age eh Matt? Big Grin

Lately i've been enjoying the social aspect of meetings and the rewards of building cool gear. I am in the midst of re-assessing my group's label/role as "reenactment", in light of the latest trends and topics on RAT and the usual politics. So I'm going to have to re-evaluate my group's philosophy based on these events.

Maybe I'll go with "Roman Fun Guys" as a unit name but that may give the totally wrong impression.