RomanArmyTalk
specifics in Spear fighting combat - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: specifics in Spear fighting combat (/showthread.php?tid=11872)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Re: specifics in Spear fighting combat - PMBardunias - 05-28-2008

Let me preface this by saying that I think Hoplomachia was an advanced martial art. I don't doubt that men who's lives depended on weapons and armor would, even if only for pleasure, devise the most artistic manner of their usage. I do have doubts about how much of an advantage the training was in the thick of phalanx on phalanx combat.

All that said, this is the snippet from Xenophon's Cyropaedia that is often brought up as evidence against such training being useful:

Quote:III [10] As for myself, I have understood from my very childhood how to protect the spot where I thought I was likely to receive a blow; and if I had nothing else I put out my hands to hinder as well as I could the one who was trying to hit me. And this I did not from having been taught to do so, but even though I was beaten for that very act of putting out my hands. Furthermore, even when I was a little fellow I used to seize a sword wherever I saw one, although, I declare, I had never learned, except from instinct, even how to take hold of a sword. At any rate, I used to do this, even though they tried to keep me from it--and certainly they did not teach me so to do--just as I was impelled by nature to do certain other things which my father and mother tried to keep me away from. And, by Zeus, I used to hack with a sword everything that I could without being caught at it. For this was not only instinctive, like walking and running, but I thought it was fun in addition to its being natural.

Re: specifics in Spear fighting combat - Giannis K. Hoplite - 05-28-2008

Haha,very nice passage.I think everyone would recognize himself as a child in these words...Isn't it very nice to hack everything you see,without being caught? :lol:
By the way,this is the point of Plato,too. That advanced teaching of how to handle weapons is useless. Two accounds from two high class Athenians of the same time,who had military experience. I wonder,how spread was the teaching of hoplomachia actually? It either was not spread at all,as those who could pay for it had the same views with those two gentlemen,or it was so spread that both of them needed to write against it,by ridiculing it and shoeing it pointless.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: specifics in Spear fighting combat - Kineas - 05-28-2008

Giannis, it's not that hard.

I understand your statements, but right now, the community on this list knows far more about the hoplite than we did about the British Army of 1776 in 1975. We made many, many mistakes--but that actually helped, as the participation in discussions like this one, around campfires (some fires built with kit that we were discarding!) helped raise enthusiasm to do better.

I must say that I see a great deal of emphasis on arms and armour and very little on camp life and cooking, which are staple issues in my other hobby. But it doesn't look that bad--there's plenty of info on the basics. At least (for instance) we won't have to wait fifteen years to figure out what weights of wool and linen are correct...

I think the shoe is on the other foot. I think that events (like the US bicentennial in 1976-1984) create the momentum and enthusiasm to recruit and travel. Wouldn't is be great if just thirty people came to Marathon 2010? It would be a start, and we could start discussing the 2500ths of the rest of the 5th century... Smile

In my other hobby, it is routine for senior people to arrange events two ro three years out, often at the governmental level, and then start recruiting reenactors when the money and the site are in line. I'm hardly the best at this, but I've done it 30+ times, and it is just not that hard, because, in effect, we offer local governments a good quality spectacle and some tourist dollars/euros for--well, basically for free!

Perhaps only 30 people would come in kit (I bet more, but let's suppose). those thirty would start something--and they'd also show the public something worth seeing. Even if all they did was a parade and a march through the Parthenon... I understand that we all disagree on all sorts of things--but I'll bet we don't disagree on enthusiasm or public education. In other periods, the host units get to call the shots for drill and deportment. Thats a sensible (if you ask me) solution--everyone attending knows that this is the event where you must have correct shoes (or whatever). if another group thinks that hoplite drill works in a different way, then they need to have a different event!

Okay, I'm off my soap box. Apologies. Back to the regularly scheduled discussion.

Re: specifics in Spear fighting combat - Giannis K. Hoplite - 05-28-2008

Can you gather 30 hoplites for Marathon next year? I'll be there.And I'm sure the Hoplites Mores will be there,too. But what about the excellent group from Spain,or the re-enactors from Australia? Could they come as a group?It wouldn't be bad if we just some of us were there willing to try sme things,like drill,and all those things we hear about. Open-close order,overlapping of shields,pushing,spear position and grip change...no need of spectacle and audience. With an instument and a fire we'd be ok. But you see,we don't even know what kind of tents did the hoplites use? Did they actually use any? Xenophon speaks of men covered by snow during the night...
Khaire
Giannis

Re: specifics in Spear fighting combat - PMBardunias - 05-29-2008

Quote:It either was not spread at all,as those who could pay for it had the same views with those two gentlemen,or it was so spread that both of them needed to write against it,by ridiculing it and shoeing it pointless.

I wonder if it was a case of being too much of a good thing. You see this today with Tae kwon do blackbelts. It seems they are a dime a dozen and can be had simply by dancing the right moves. But Tae kwon do is a brutal fighting art when done right. Maybe so many poorly trained hoplomachia teachers abounded that the whole profession was sullied.

Quote:Can you gather 30 hoplites for Marathon next year?

When will this occur? I'm planning on going to Southern Greece next year with my wife- perhaps I could make a detour.

Re: specifics in Spear fighting combat - Kineas - 05-29-2008

The impression I'm working on (I do a lot of talking for a guy who's still making his first Chiton) will have no tents. My understanding is that., first, early hoplites were usually close to home, and second, that later hoplites didn't use much in the way of tents.
Officers had something--there's lots of descriptions of how various Persian and Macedonian generals had big tents.
However, I'm used to camping without a tent. Its no fun when it rains, but its not that hard--especially in Greece, I'd think--in summer.
There's also the period-correct 'improvised' camp. Ten guys could be quite comfortable with a canvas boat-sail and some oars. We know they actually did rig such shelters, and we do it all the time, too, in 18th C.--we have galleys called "bateaux." Two pairs of oars lashed in "X" shape, a fifth oar across the top, toss the sail over the cross bar, and you have tentage for about thirty--the whole crew of a small boat, or a bunch of soldiers. You have to pack in like lemmings, but that's what soldiers did--still do, when they're cold.
I'll tack on the best description of a boatsail I could find. I'm planning to make one from heavy linen panels, with leather reenforcement and brails--just to "have around" for rain...
I don't know whether I can get 30 guys (and gals) to Athens in 2010. If there's really an event--even on somebody's back lawn--I'll start pushing it. It'll be easier for me to get people interested in the whole hoplite project if there's an "event" in the wind. But even if there were just five of us from Canada--with 5 from other places and the folks in Greece--wouldn't it be glorious?

Please, tell me you'll have an event! Then post dates. And then let's see if anybody's government and/or Ministry of Heritage (or what have you) will subsidize...

Back to looking at linen samples...
Quote:The sail (histion) was often made up of pieces made separately and stitched together (whence the plural histia often means only a single sail). The only kind of sail known by the Greeks, according to Boeckh (Urk. 141), was the square sail. The velum triangulare of the Alexandrian corn ships was of later date. The sails were often strengthened, when made of separate pieces, by strips of leather sewn over the stitching. (Cf. bas-relief from Pompeii, Smith, Voyage and Shipwreck of St. Paul; Joseph. Ant. iv. 8, 37, para ton histon epi polu estêmen anablepontes arithmountes tôn bursôn tas epibolas.) The sail was fastened to the yard by the peritonion, which passed through eyelets (krikoi) made in the border of the sail (cf. parakrouein). At the lower extremities of the sail were the sheets (podes) and tacks (propodes). [p. 218]

Paul, I'll be in Athens and on Lesvos next April 15-May15th with my wife and daughter and at least one other hoplite reenactor is coming out to visit us. Any chance that's when you're in Greece?

Re: specifics in Spear fighting combat - Vincula - 05-29-2008

Quote:... and we do it all the time, too, in 18th C.
lol your older than you look!

Aw, shucks. Flattery always appreciated!

(I have a nasty suspicion that in a chiton and a Thracian cloak I'll look every day of 200+)

tee hee. Smile

Re: specifics in Spear fighting combat - Peter Raftos - 05-29-2008

If the Marathon gig is in 2010 that gives me some good lead time to get my kit together , save for the airfare (if we have any oil left by then) and participate. Make me a tentative yes.

Re: specifics in Spear fighting combat - Giannis K. Hoplite - 05-29-2008

Hey where is Stefanos? Where is Themistocles? I don't think there is an event in Marathon,but maybe the Hoplites Mores gather there annually? they do it for Thermopylae,Plataea,Salamis and other battles,I guess for Marathon,too.
Khairete
Giannis

P.S. Hey,shouldn't we move to another thread? And take the last posts with us there?

Quote:Paul, I'll be in Athens and on Lesvos next April 15-May15th with my wife and daughter and at least one other hoplite reenactor is coming out to visit us. Any chance that's when you're in Greece?

I'm not sure when we will go yet. I have convinced my wife that I need to go to the motherland for my 40th birthday, but it might be worth putting it off a year if this really happens.

I'll be spending most of my time down in Gythio and Laconia, visiting family and visiting my castle- a ruined Frankish castle that bears my last name.

Re: specifics in Spear fighting combat - Kineas - 05-30-2008

I vote we reopen the thread as "Marathon 2010" but I don't know how. I'm old.

Heh.

Re: specifics in Spear fighting combat - PMBardunias - 05-30-2008

You guys were discussing the locations of wounds on hoplites. There is another snippet from Xenophon that is informative. A fictional play battle between men armed with sticks -vs- stones, but both in throax and helmet, and holding shields. Note the placement of injuries:

Quote:[17] And once Cyrus invited a captain and his whole6 company to dinner, because he had noticed him drawing up one half of the men of his company against the other half for a sham battle. Both sides had breastplates and on their left arms their shields; in the hands of the one side he placed stout cudgels, while he told the other side that they would have to pick up clods to throw.

[18] Now when they had taken their stand thus equipped, he gave the order to begin battle. Then those on the one side threw their clods, and some struck the breastplates and shields, others also struck the thighs and greaves of their opponents. But when they came into close quarters, those who had the cudgels struck the others--some upon the thighs, others upon the arms, others upon the shins; and as still others stooped to pick up clods, the cudgels came down upon their necks and backs. And finally, when the cudgel-bearers had put their opponents to flight, they pursued them laying on the blows amid shouts of laughter and merriment. And then again, changing about, the other side took the cudgels with the same result to their oppononts, who in turn threw clods.

[19] In this Cyrus admired both the captain's cleverness and the men's obedience, and he was pleased to see that they were at the same time having their practice and enjoying themselves and also because that side was victorious which was armed after the fashion of the Persians. Pleased with this he invited them to dinner; and in his tent, observing some of them wearing bandages--one around his leg, another around his arm--he asked them what the matter was; and they answered that they had been hit with the clods. [20] And he inquired further, whether it had happened when they were close together or far apart. And they said it was when they were far apart. But when they came to close quarters, it was capital fun--so the cudgel-bearers said; but those who had been thoroughly drubbed with the cudgels cried out that it did not seem any fun to them to be beaten at close quarters, and at the same time they showed the marks of the cudgels on their arms and their necks and some also on their faces. And then, as was natural, they laughed at one another.