RomanArmyTalk
Plumbata - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Plumbata (/showthread.php?tid=1271)

Re: Plumbata - Robert Vermaat - 09-27-2011

Quote:The head is integrally forged or soldered?
Forged.

Re: Plumbata - Vindex - 09-28-2011

I have plumbata envy!!! :wink:

Re: Plumbata - brennivs - tony drake - 09-29-2011

Thanks Robert I am glad they arrived safe and you are happy with themBig Grin even if they are :twisted: Hope you have lots of fun with them,look forward to you test results. I just forgot to make myself one to try DOH! Big Grin
[Image: P9161622.jpg]
This is before the lead went on Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

Re: Plumbata - Virilis - 09-29-2011

These look great, Tony Big Grin !

Re: Plumbata - MDF - 09-29-2011

Quote:
MDF post=296785 Wrote:The head is integrally forged or soldered?
Forged.

Well,
In this case, double congratulations for Tony :wink:
Very very good forging.

Re: Plumbata - ValentinianVictrix - 09-30-2011

Have any of you reenactment people experimented with finding a way of placing five of these behind the shield as described by Vegetius, and if so do you have photographs?

Re: Plumbata - Robert Vermaat - 10-04-2011

Quote:Have any of you reenactment people experimented with finding a way of placing five of these behind the shield as described by Vegetius, and if so do you have photographs?

Of course! Big Grin I think I started with that almost 10 years ago.

Below is my first attempt, 5 very large plumbatae from Len Morgan behind my flat Dura scutum. I now think these plumbatae are too large and too heavy, given the weight known from plumbata finds. I have not tried a new configuration of smaller ones behind a dished shield yet. These days, I use the large red missile carrier also in the top image, after a description in the Strategicon, a Later Roman military manual.

This is at LRE I at Archeon, 2005:
[Image: 2005archeonjasper14.jpg]

Also at LRE I, with in the foreground Rob Finlayson of the batavi with a small quiver attached to his scutum:
[Image: 2005archeonfrederic2.jpg]

And finally, also at LRE I (we tested our plumbatae there for an article), Ivan Perelló (Faventinianus) of the Coh I Germanica with a solution of 4 plumbatae behind a smaller shield:
[Image: 2005archeonfrederic5.jpg]

Re: plumbata - Robert Vermaat - 11-22-2011

Quote:This is the current toll
And new ones continue coming in:

This is the current toll (still rising, I’m still following a Bulgarian trail):

30 from Serbia
27 from Britain
15 from Austria
12 from Slovenia
10 from Hungary
10 from France (up from 9)
8 from Croatia (up from 6)
8 from Italy
7 from Switzerland
5 from Germany
4 from Georgia/Abchasia
3 from Greece (but the dates are problematic and possibly BC)
2 from Bulgaria (up from 1)
2 from Rumania
1 from Liechtenstein
1 from The Netherlands
1 from Slovakia

That totals 146 plumbatae from publications which includes a find spot, some measurements and most of the time a description.
To that total of 146 published items, I can add another 32 (up from 21) plumbatae that are either unprovenanced or from some sort of internet auction. I cannot vouch for these being either originals or from the areas they are supposedly found in. A further 8-11 are totally unprovenanced and might even be modern forgeries.
The grand total stands at 189 (November 22nd, 2011 - up from 173 on June 24th, 2011).

Re: plumbata - Robert - 11-22-2011

The points made by Tony look very different from the images of plumbata finds you sent me at the time. Are these based on a new find? They look great, by the way.

Re: plumbata - Robert Vermaat - 11-22-2011

Quote:The points made by Tony look very different from the images of plumbata finds you sent me at the time. Are these based on a new find? They look great, by the way.
They are based on a find from Britain but even more from a new find from Serbia. The one from Britain (Wroxeter) I did not trust 100%, but the one from Serbia (unknown site) confirmed it. This model makes replacing a broken wooden shaft far easier (as Comitatus know for years), so I asked Tony for this model.

Re: Plumbata - Longovicium - 12-29-2011

I came across this article on plumbatae this morning regarding finds in Serbia. I expect, Robert, that might be already familiar with it but will post just in case you are not - or for anyone else interested in these vicious little things!

http://bg.academia.edu/MiroslavVujovic/Papers/1249226/THE_PLUMBATAE_FROM_SERBIA

The article catalogues finds in the general Serbian area and gives an overview of the weapon as understood today.

Re: Plumbata - Robert Vermaat - 12-29-2011

Quote:I came across this article on plumbatae this morning regarding finds in Serbia. http://peopleofar.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/east-of-byzantium-documentary-coming-soon/
Hi Francis,
Are you sure you posted the correct link? This one only shows a documentary (coming soon) about Armenia?

I suppose you are referring to the article by Miroslav Vujović, which I posted 6 month ago:
Vujović, Miroslav B. (2009): The Plumbata from Serbia, in: Journal of the Serbian Archaeological Society vol 25, pp. 203-219:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=1wqXfr2u0TSYLeuLX_72vPEZ_0rVAl9ZvfTws7sVPUSB85VpQJ52Vbfd1yzf5&hl=en_US&authkey=CMnY-ZIB

Re: Plumbata - Longovicium - 12-30-2011

Ah yes - I fear the copying and pasting act escaped me correctly! My apologies!

Re: plumbata - Robert Vermaat - 02-06-2012

Current toll:

30 from Serbia
27 from Britain
15 from Austria
14 from Slovenia
11 from France
9 from Hungary
8 from Croatia
8 from Italy
7 from Switzerland
5 from Germany
4 from Georgia/Abchasia
3 from Greece (possibly BC)
2 from Bulgaria
2 from Liechtenstein
2 from Rumania
1 from Belgium
1 from The Netherlands
1 from Slovakia

All known findspots:
[attachment=2856]plumbatae2012-02-06.jpg[/attachment]

Re: plumbata - Vindex - 02-06-2012

Hi Robert

Your update has just reminded me of something.

I was looking at the Wroxeter finds (reports illustrations not the artefacts themselves). May I ask why you did not trust their plunbatae 100%? Was it just one or all of them?

Thank you in advance.