RomanArmyTalk
Plumbata - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Plumbata (/showthread.php?tid=1271)

RE: Plumbata - Mark Hygate - 01-18-2021

Thanks Brucius,

Being a reasonable javelin-thrower from my school days (6 years dedication!); the pictures said it all for me! Perhaps I'll get to read it sometime, but I suspect you've pretty much conclusively (more than) suggested that the Romans threw plumbata in almost exactly the same way that they threw pila for the previous 500+ years!

It could make you wonder why anyone ever thought it was any other way...... :-)

RE: Plumbata - Steve Kaye - 01-19-2021

As a former rugby player I also think the overhead (overarm) throwing method is probably superior to the underhand. Some rugby players, scrum halves in particular, like to throw a rugby ball overhead, using the long-axis of the ball held in the palm of the hand and with the finger tips just cupping the circumference (think of the ball being a very short javelin). The overhead throw imparts most of the momentum but, the crucial bit, is the rapid spin imparted by the finger tips to the ball as it leaves the palm. The result is a rugby ball travelling rapidly length-wise, spinning around the long axis and maintaining a steady trajectory. It goes further, straighter and more accurately than the normal two handed underarm throw. The imparted spin is critical to success. Takes a lot of practice.

On seeing plumbata I naturally want to hold the lead portion in the palm of my hand, with fingertips resting on it, to give it spin when thrown overhead.

Regards, Steve Kaye

RE: Plumbata - Brucicus - 01-19-2021

Mark,  thanks for your comment.
Yes!  It does make one wonder how anyone could claim that the Romans threw it underhand.   Huh
That's why my mind was blown when I learned that the underhand method was being espoused as the main delivery method.  In actuality, throwing underhand would only occur if there was no other choice.

I hope my treatise is very convincing.  Feedback indicates that it is.  I have no one pushing back on my findings, so far.  Those who advocated for the underhand method seem to have disappeared, which is a good sign for me but not so flattering for them.   Javelin-chuckers like yourself get it right away.  In fact, everyone with real throwing experience to whom I have shown my work agrees with it completely.

I hope you get the time to peruse it, Mark.  It is a pretty fast read.

https://www.academia.edu/44834773/_UPDATE_01_04_2021_Re_Testing_Plumbatae_Setting_the_Record_Straight_

Brucicus

(01-19-2021, 10:21 AM)Steve Kaye Wrote: As a former rugby player I also think the overhead (overarm) throwing method is probably superior to the underhand. Some rugby players, scrum halves in particular, like to throw a rugby ball overhead, using the long-axis of the ball held in the palm of the hand and with the finger tips just cupping the circumference (think of the ball being a very short javelin). The overhead throw imparts most of the momentum but, the crucial bit, is the rapid spin imparted by the finger tips to the ball as it leaves the palm. The result is a rugby ball travelling rapidly length-wise, spinning around the long axis and maintaining a steady trajectory. It goes further, straighter and more accurately than the normal two handed underarm throw. The imparted spin is critical to success. Takes a lot of practice.

On seeing plumbata I naturally want to hold the lead portion in the palm of my hand, with fingertips resting on it, to give it spin when thrown overhead.

Regards, Steve Kaye

Steve, thanks for your comment.

My eldest son loves to play rugby.  Throwing that oblate spheroid is not easy as you allude.  American footballs are a bit easier to throw.

I understand wanting to hold the plumbata the way you describe.  I discuss that method in my paper:  https://www.academia.edu/44834773/_UPDATE_01_04_2021_Re_Testing_Plumbatae_Setting_the_Record_Straight_

Holding it by the tail, as my pictured thrower does, is what you need to do to generate power into your throw.  That method takes advantage of the 'atlatl effect' built into the dart.  And there is no need to try and add any spin to a plumbata;  the fletchings take care of that.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Brucicus

RE: Plumbata - Robert Vermaat - 01-19-2021

(01-18-2021, 10:26 PM)Mark Hygate Wrote: Being a reasonable javelin-thrower from my school days (6 years dedication!); the pictures said it all for me!  Perhaps I'll get to read it sometime, but I suspect you've pretty much conclusively (more than) suggested that the Romans threw plumbata in almost exactly the same way that they threw pila for the previous 500+ years!

It could make you wonder why anyone ever thought it was any other way......  :-)

Experienced throwers certainly have an advantage.
No, a pilum is not thrown in exactly the same manner (I'd say you skip the two first positions as the plumbata (unlike the plum) is not pointed in the opposite direction first). 
Why? Because apparently some people still throw them underarm for about 20+ meters further than mr Pruett.

(01-19-2021, 10:21 AM)Steve Kaye Wrote: On seeing plumbata I naturally want to hold the lead portion in the palm of my hand, with fingertips resting on it, to give it spin when thrown overhead.

I presureme that's because maybe you have seen modern darts? Wink

(01-17-2021, 06:51 PM)Brucicus Wrote: I was looking at the plumbata from Schaan that Mr. Vermaat posted in November of 2019.
It certainly looks like a plumbata, but close examination of the barbed head seems to reveal an eagle's head engraved upon it.  The lead seems better integrated into the iron shaft than any other similar find I've seen as well. 
Without having any better evidence than Vermaat's photo, I strongly suspect that this particular plumbata is a decoration for a pole bearing some sort of standard.  Perhaps this is from one of those legions who specialized in war darts.  The downward turn of the point reduces the effectiveness of this dart in battle, and taking the time to carve an eagle into the dart strikes me as odd for a practical weapon.  Of course, it could be the equivalent of writing messages to the enemy on artillery shells and bombs.
Scroll up and take a look for yourselves.  Did I have too much breakfast wine and am now seeing things?  Or do you think this might be something.

No, that would definately be the wine because I have looked at it up close and there is nothing resembling a 'carved eagle head'. Maybe you could draw what you see on the image? Otherwise it's much like the 200-plus plumbatae I have seen so far, nothing more. Plus so far all the archaeologists who've seen it agree with that.

(01-19-2021, 04:50 PM)Brucicus Wrote: Yes!  It does make one wonder how anyone could claim that the Romans threw it underhand.   Huh
That's why my mind was blown when I learned that the underhand method was being espoused as the main delivery method.  In actuality, throwing underhand would only occur if there was no other choice.

I hope my treatise is very convincing.  Feedback indicates that it is.  I have no one pushing back on my findings, so far.  Those who advocated for the underhand method seem to have disappeared, which is a good sign for me but not so flattering for them.   

I have read your paper (again) but I will not discuss it until you have removed from it the amateur ad hominem comments as well as my pictures, for which you have no permission to use them and which are used as a straw man argument.

RE: Plumbata - Renatus - 01-19-2021

Brucius and I had a rather spiky exchange of views earlier in this thread.  To some extent, this may have arisen out of a misunderstanding.  Brucius seemed to have been of the opinion that Europeans were somehow disqualified from experimenting with plumbatae because, unlike Americans, they did not have a tradition of engaging in sports that involved the throwing of balls.  I am not qualified to speak on mainland European sporting traditions but he may  have a point if he were referring only to continental  Europeans.  However, he does not take account (or, if he does, he does not give it sufficient emphasis) of the fact that there is one European country in which there is a sport as demanding as baseball in the throwing of balls, in terms of distance and accuracy.  I am speaking, of course, of the UK and cricket.  He can be forgiven for not knowing that at school sports days, particularly in junior schools, there is an event of throwing the cricket ball, although here it is distance, rather than accuracy, that is the object.  Throwing balls, therefore, is not alien to all Europeans.

Another bone of contention was whether it is correct, in throwing the plumbata, to grasp it behind the flights.  I argued that the statement in De rebus bellicis that there should space for the fingers 'above' the flights meant that it should be grasped between the flights and the lead weight.  However, it is necessary to look at the Anonymous' use of language.  In describing the plumbata tribolata he mentions the point, looking like a hunting spear, 'above which' (supra quam) is the lead in which the spikes are fixed.  He then mentions the flights which he says are 'in  summa . . . parte ' (literally 'in the top part') of the weapon.  Finally, he mentions the space 'above' (super) the flights for the fingers.  Translated literally, the section describing the position of the flights reads awkwardly and translators have adopted different ways of getting round it.  Ireland reverses the Latin and has 'at the lower end', while Thompson (whose translation Brucius seems to be using) dodges the issue and has 'at the other end'.  What the Anonymous seems to be doing is visualising the weapon being held vertically, point downwards, so that the lead weight is 'above' the point, the flights are at the upper part and the grip is 'above' them.  The illustrations, although probably several removes from the original, show a slight projection of the shaft behind the flights. 

I was highly sceptical of reconstructions of the weapon that placed the grip behind the flights, as I saw this as being based on modern preconceptions of how the weapon should delivered.  However, having looked closely at the Latin, this seems to be what the Anonymous is describing after all.  There remains only to consider whether the weapon was thrown overarm or underarm.  I am firmly of the overarm school.  Lobbing it underarm into the rear ranks of the enemy may cause disruption there but that is not how the Anonymous or Vegetius seem to envisage it being used.  The Anonymous speaks of it being thrown at short range, while Vegetius says that it is used to wound the enemy or his horses before they get to close quarters or even within the range of normal javelins.  Short- to medium-range accuracy seems to be the order of the day.

RE: Plumbata - Brucicus - 01-19-2021

(01-19-2021, 06:13 PM)Renatus Wrote: Brucius and I had a rather spiky exchange of views earlier in this thread.  To some extent, this may have arisen out of a misunderstanding.  Brucius seemed to have been of the opinion that Europeans were somehow disqualified from experimenting with plumbatae because, unlike Americans, they did not have a tradition of engaging in sports that involved the throwing of balls.  I am not qualified to speak on mainland European sporting traditions but he may  have a point if he were referring only to continental  Europeans.  However, he does not take account (or, if he does, he does not give it sufficient emphasis) of the fact that there is one European country in which there is a sport as demanding as baseball in the throwing of balls, in terms of distance and accuracy.  I am speaking, of course, of the UK and cricket.  He can be forgiven for not knowing that at school sports days, particularly in junior schools, there is an event of throwing the cricket ball, although here it is distance, rather than accuracy, that is the object.  Throwing balls, therefore, is not alien to all Europeans.

Another bone of contention was whether it is correct, in throwing the plumbata, to grasp it behind the flights.  I argued that the statement in De rebus bellicis that there should space for the fingers 'above' the flights meant that it should be grasped between the flights and the lead weight.  However, it is necessary to look at the Anonymous' use of language.  In describing the plumbata tribolata he mentions the point, looking like a hunting spear, 'above which' (supra quam) is the lead in which the spikes are fixed.  He then mentions the flights which he says are 'in  summa . . . parte ' (literally 'in the top part') of the weapon.  Finally, he mentions the space 'above' (super) the flights for the fingers.  Translated literally, the section describing the position of the flights reads awkwardly and translators have adopted different ways of getting round it.  Ireland reverses the Latin and has 'at the lower end', while Thompson (whose translation Brucius seems to be using) dodges the issue and has 'at the other end'.  What the Anonymous seems to be doing is visualising the weapon being held vertically, point downwards, so that the lead weight is 'above' the point, the flights are at the upper part and the grip is 'above' them.  The illustrations, although probably several removes from the original, show a slight projection of the shaft behind the flights. 

I was highly sceptical of reconstructions of the weapon that placed the grip behind the flights, as I saw this as being based on modern preconceptions of how the weapon should delivered.  However, having looked closely at the Latin, this seems to be what the Anonymous is describing after all.  There remains only to consider whether the weapon was thrown overarm or underarm.  I am firmly of the overarm school.  Lobbing it underarm into the rear ranks of the enemy may cause disruption there but that is not how the Anonymous or Vegetius seem to envisage it being used.  The Anonymous speaks of it being thrown at short range, while Vegetius says that it is used to wound the enemy or his horses before they get to close quarters or even within the range of normal javelins.  Short- to medium-range accuracy seems to be the order of the day.

Michael, yes we did.  Frustrating for both of us.  Thank you for posting this and much respect because I know how adamant you were in opposing me. 

Understanding Anonymous's description requires understanding the dart's orientation in the author's mind:  The flights are indeed above the hand if the dart is envisioned pointing downwards as it seems to be in the original description.  So thanks for realizing this as well and being public about it.

BTW, I never claimed Europeans were not qualified to test the darts, only that not many of them are experienced in the art of throwing and therefore have no concept of the power of the overhand throw.  If you know how to throw, I don't care where you come from, your race, creed, or sex, you are qualified to throw plumbatae as far as I am concerned.  The problem was with unqualified throwers doing performance testing.  I did mention cricket in my study, if only in a footnote.  I did try to find cricketers making long throws, but all I found were bowlers using that stiff-armed delivery and fielders making fairly short throws with a side-arm type of delivery.   When I have a spare three days I'll try to take in a match post pandemic.

Michael, I hope you get the chance to see qualified throwers with well-designed darts demonstrating just how effective plumbatae can be.  You'll be astonished.

Warm regards,
Brucicus

Thanks once again for your comments.  Perhaps we can continue on in the spirit of your tagline.  That would give me great pleasure.

RE: Plumbata - Renatus - 01-19-2021

(01-19-2021, 06:13 PM)Renatus Wrote:  Brucius seemed to have been of the opinion that Europeans were somehow disqualified from experimenting with plumbatae because, unlike Americans, they did not have a tradition of engaging in sports that involved the throwing of balls.  I am not qualified to speak on mainland European sporting traditions but he may  have a point if he were referring only to continental  Europeans.

Let me qualify this comment of mine which I don't think is very well put.  I am not suggesting for a moment that anyone is disqualified from experimenting.  My only point is that Brucius may be right when he says that there is not a tradition of ball-throwing sports in Europe.  I don't know of any but that may be just ignorance on my part.

RE: Plumbata - Robert Vermaat - 01-19-2021

when you assumed who I was referencing ("Mr. Vermaat is referencing Mr. Conyard's claims.  When pressed on those extraordinary claims Conyard admitted that they never actually measured the distance. ") you were wrong.
I was not quoting mr Conyard. Why not simply ask before writing such replies? 

RE: Plumbata - Nathan Ross - 01-20-2021

(01-19-2021, 10:21 PM)Brucicus Wrote: So any critique of you is considered an ad hominem?

That is more or less the definition of 'ad hominem'... [Image: tongue.png]

RE: Plumbata - Brucicus - 01-20-2021

(01-20-2021, 01:14 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 10:21 PM)Brucicus Wrote: So any critique of you is considered an ad hominem?

That is more or less the definition of 'ad hominem'... [Image: tongue.png]
Well put Nathan.  Smile I should have written 'any critique of your work is considered an ad hominem.'

My error.

Best regards, Brucicus

RE: Plumbata - kavan - 01-20-2021

Many years ago, when I was in my youth, I used to throw darts in the 'mucky Duck' in Goodramgate in York. I liked to think. probably erroneously, that I was following a tradition going right back to Legio VI. The pub would have been just outside the Legionary fort.
 Everybody threw overhand.

RE: Plumbata - Renatus - 01-20-2021

(01-19-2021, 10:21 PM)Brucicus Wrote: Even Renatus . . . has come to see the light.

Don't get too excited!

a)  I was never an underarmer.

b)  I do not accept that, because of their experience with baseball, Americans are uniquely qualified to test plumbatae.

c)  Although I accept that you may be right in saying that continental Europeans may not have a tradition of ball-throwing sports, I do not accept that this precludes them from testing plumbatae.

d)  Where I have moved is that, having considered the Latin of the Anonymous and the structure of the relevant passage, I accept that what he describes is not a javelin-style but a tail-end grip.  I am not sure that this is a great breakthrough, as I was probably in a minority in advocating the javelin grip anyway.  I wonder if those who have espoused the tail-end grip have done so having studied the Latin or on empirical grounds.  Having said all this, I still harbour some concerns and may raise them in another post.

Before my most recent posts, I had only dipped into your study in academia.edu but I have now read it in full.  I do not intend to offer a critique of it but would like to raise a few points:

a)  I should look at your footnotes.  Some seem to be unnecessary and even facetious.  Do we need to be told that vice versa is the Latin for vice versa?  This serves only to diminish a serious study.

b)  In saying how the weapon is described in DRB, you say that it states that the fletching is towards the middle of the shaft.  This is not so.  As I posted above, it places the fletching 'at the top' (in summa parte), but leaving space for the grip.

c)  In mentioning the response to your theories that you received on what is evidently this forum, the examples that you give appear to refer to comments made by me.  These do not accurately reflect what I said and I can only assume that you have misunderstood me.

RE: Plumbata - Nathan Ross - 01-20-2021

(01-20-2021, 11:57 AM)Renatus Wrote: I was probably in a minority in advocating the javelin grip anyway.

From what I can make out, both Mark and Steve (above) are advocating variations on the javelin grip, thrown point-first. Bruce and Robert prefer the tail-end grip, with the weapon reversed and either flung over-arm or lobbed underarm.

Do we even know that there was a single 'correct' way to throw these weapons? They seem quite a versatile tool, and could have been used in various ways, depending on requirements. All the suggestions so far seem quite effective: underarm for high-trajectory drop-shots, overarm for range, javelin-style for close range aimed strikes.

The old weighed pilum seems to have been used at a distance of 15-30 metres against an advancing enemy, so outranging one with a plumbata wouldn't be difficult. If you want really long range, you'd use a sling or a bow.

RE: Plumbata - Brucicus - 01-20-2021

(01-20-2021, 11:57 AM)Renatus Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 10:21 PM)Brucicus Wrote: Even Renatus . . . has come to see the light.

Don't get too excited!

a)  I was never an underarmer.

b)  I do not accept that, because of their experience with baseball, Americans are uniquely qualified to test plumbatae.

c)  Although I accept that you may be right in saying that continental Europeans may not have a tradition of ball-throwing sports, I do not accept that this precludes them from testing plumbatae.

d)  Where I have moved is that, having considered the Latin of the Anonymous and the structure of the relevant passage, I accept that what he describes is not a javelin-style but a tail-end grip.  I am not sure that this is a great breakthrough, as I was probably in a minority in advocating the javelin grip anyway.  I wonder if those who have espoused the tail-end grip have done so having studied the Latin or on empirical grounds.  Having said all this, I still harbour some concerns and may raise them in another post.

Before my most recent posts, I had only dipped into your study in academia.edu but I have now read it in full.  I do not intend to offer a critique of it but would like to raise a few points:

a)  I should look at your footnotes.  Some seem to be unnecessary and even facetious.  Do we need to be told that vice versa is the Latin for vice versa?  This serves only to diminish a serious study.

b)  In saying how the weapon is described in DRB, you say that it states that the fletching is towards the middle of the shaft.  This is not so.  As I posted above, it places the fletching 'at the top' (in summa parte), but leaving space for the grip.

c)  In mentioning the response to your theories that you received on what is evidently this forum, the examples that you give appear to refer to comments made by me.  These do not accurately reflect what I said and I can only assume that you have misunderstood me.

Thanks for the response, Michael.

A.) Michael, you continue misstating my positions.  I have never claimed that Americans are uniquely qualified, only that we are more familiar with throwing, as a general rule, than most Europeans.  If you wish to continue in this vein, please post quotations of where I make such a non-sensical statement.

B.)  I quote the DRB and then provide how I interpret it.  The fletching is indeed  more towards the middle of the shaft when compared to having them placed at the end of the shaft.

C.)  Yes, some of my footnotes are facetious.  I meant the paper to be informative and entertaining.  It is still incomprehensible to me that no historian had taken a good hard look at the body of research and realized how poor it is.  Clumsy dart designs, inappropriate testers, improper grips, false attributions; that is what today's 'knowledge' rests upon, and that, to me is funny.  Sad but funny.  Yes, I tried to add some levity into my work.  If you find it too distracting, well, my apologies.  Others have commented back to me that they find my style refreshing and engaging.  I'm OK with that.  

D.)  If I have misunderstood you, my apologies.  I stand by my work.  I believe any fair reading of our past unfortunate discussion will support my characterizations of the arguments made.  That you continue to claim that I stated the Europeans aren't qualified to test the darts only reinforces my opinion.  I don't want to re-live the past, I'd much rather start back at square one and see if we can have a productive back-and-forth.

Best regards,
Brucicus

(01-20-2021, 01:35 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 11:57 AM)Renatus Wrote: I was probably in a minority in advocating the javelin grip anyway.

From what I can make out, both Mark and Steve (above) are advocating variations on the javelin grip, thrown point-first. Bruce and Robert prefer the tail-end grip, with the weapon reversed and either flung over-arm or lobbed underarm.

Do we even know that there was a single 'correct' way to throw these weapons? They seem quite a versatile tool, and could have been used in various ways, depending on requirements. All the suggestions so far seem quite effective: underarm for high-trajectory drop-shots, overarm for range, javelin-style for close range aimed strikes.

The old weighed pilum seems to have been used at a distance of 15-30 metres against an advancing enemy, so outranging one with a plumbata wouldn't be difficult. If you want really long range, you'd use a sling or a bow.

Nathan, I believe you are misreading Mark's statement.  He appears to be fully supportive of how the dart is thrown as presented in the photo sequence I provided.  Steve's point is more ambiguous and I am unclear as to what he was trying to say.

Please read my paper where I discuss the trajectories of the different throwing methods.  Bottom-line, the underhand throw would never be used if an overhand throw was possible because the overhand delivery offers more power, more accuracy, and a full range of possible trajectories.  The javelin-style, which I take you to mean that the dart is held just behind the weight, would never be used as it is a weak, ineffective way to throw these missiles.  John Conyard, whom I quote in my paper, said "the speed at which this dart can be thrown from close range, added to its weight, make its effectiveness on the battlefield a terrifying prospect"   He advocates the tail grip with the overhand throw just as I do.

You can find that paper here:  https://www.academia.edu/44834773/_UPDATE_01_04_2021_Re_Testing_Plumbatae_Setting_the_Record_Straight_

Thanks for your comment.  It is always a pleasure to read your posts.
Regards,
Brucicus

RE: Plumbata - Robert Vermaat - 01-20-2021

Dear friends,

As interesting as this discussing has been recently, sadly it also seemed to go into needless ad hominem arguments that have no place on this forum and which made an adult discussion about this subject next to impossible. Therefore, after consultation, the decision was taken to end mr Pruett’s engagement with this forum. Anyone who has questions about this move can contact me by PM.

That does not mean mr. Pruett’s findings are not supported here – to the contrary, most of his posts remain and I personally urge you to read his very interesting articles, as I urge you to read all the articles of all those who did some tests with throwing plumbatae – of various sizes, with various techniques, with varying results. Mr. Pruett has listed several of these in his latest article, and for completeness’ sake I’ll provide a list of all those known to me at the bottom of this post.

When reading all these publications I must stress one thing – none of these authors, myself included, has done any testing that would pass for true scientific research. Much more testers and many (MANY) more throws would be necessary for a claim like that. Therefore, none of our results can be claimed as better or even ‘the one and only possible’ result. For my sake, as admitted in my articles, I never have claimed for my results to be the only possibility, to the contrary. I had my own views about how to throw plumbatae, but as these views can be no more than a hypothesis, every other theory can be argued with as much credibility as mine. And every argument can be discussed, in a proper manner.

One thing I simply cannot agree with, is that somehow a ‘fact’ has become more important than anything else – apparently the distance reached with a plumbata is the most important aspect about this weapon, and that only those who can throw it the largest distance can be an ‘expert’, whereas everybody else is ‘wrong’.
This saddens me, because not only is it a wrong discussion, it neglects all the other aspects of the plumbata that need testing and discussion. Aspects such as:
Who threw it? The whole unit, only the front rank, the rear rankers?
When was it thrown? At the maximum distance, or to break a charge, or even after the fighting had been joined (or all of the above)?
Was it throw overarm or underarm or both? And for what specific purpose?
Was it carried in a shield for personal use or as ammunition for the throwers only?
So many questions unrelated to distance.

What I would like to know more about is the effect of a volley on a charging enemy.
Or the impact of rear-rankers throwing continuously on top an enemy already fully engaged in fighting the own front ranks. Was there any impact? What if it went wrong?
Cavalry is also connected to plumbatae finds – did they indeed use them? How were they thrown from horseback?

OK, I will not be a spoilsport – of course throwing a large distance is nice. So far we can clearly see that distances of 80 and even 90 meters are not uncommon. Overarm or underarm does not seem that much different. My favorite was always underarm, because when we started researching this from 2006 onwards, we had reports from some Spanish groups (some of their members were or still are members of Roman Army Talk) that distances of 80 and even 90 meters had been reached – underarm. None of this was published at the time, but then there must be some trust in everyone’s published results as well I think. I never managed those distances myself, but then I was (still am) inexperienced (41 back in 2007) and I owned but three different types of plumbatae. Since then, I am happy to see much more testing, including those by mr. Pruett, adding to a much-needed larger database of results. More test are no doubt planned, hopefully with more people and also including original clothing and armour.

Drake, A. (1994): a preliminary report on the range and accuracy of the dart commonly called the plumbata or martio barbulla, unpublished.
Eagle, J. (1989): Testing plumbatae, in: van Driel-Murray 1989a, Roman Military Equipment: the Sources of Evidence. Proceedings of the Fifth Roman Military Equipment Conference, BAR Int. Ser., vol. 476 (Oxford), pp. 247-253.
Emery, J. (2010): Experimenting with Plumbatae and observations on their Behavior, thesis, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. https://minds.wisconsin.edu/bitstream/handle/1793/64476/Emery_John_Thesis.pdf?sequence=1
Griffiths, W.B. (1995): Experiments with plumbatae, in: Arbeia Journal, vol. 4, pp. 1-11.
Payne-Gallwey, Ralph (1903): Arrow-Throwing, in: The Book of the Crossbow, (New York), pp. 243-6. https://archive.org/details/TheCrossbowMediaevalAndModern/page/n277
Pruett (2019): Testing Plumbatae.
Pruett (2021): Re-Testing Plumbatae - Setting the Record Straight...
https://www.academia.edu/44834773/_UPDATE_01_04_2021_Re_Testing_Plumbatae_Setting_the_Record_Straight
Sim, David (1995a): Experiments to examine the manufacturing techniques used to make plumbatae, in: Arbeia Journal, vol. 4, pp. 13-19.
http://minervamagazine.co.uk/archive_pdfs/2012_Vol_23_03.pdf
Tod’s workshop (2020a): Plumbata - Roman war darts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfgMfSZiQSU
Tod’s workshop (2020b): Plumbata 2 - Bigger, Better and thrown every way!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNlgb79A4mM
Vermaat, R.M. (2007): testing Late Roman plumbatae 1 – Veerse Dam. https://www.academia.edu/30544051/Vermaat_Robert_M._2007_Testing_Late_Roman_Plumbatae_1_-_Veerse_Dam_2007
Vermaat, R.M. (2011): testing Late Roman plumbatae 2 - Breezand. https://www.academia.edu/30545939/Vermaat_Robert_M._2011_Testing_Late_Roman_Plumbatae_2_-_Breezand_2011