RomanArmyTalk
Turned Aspis Project in Progress - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Turned Aspis Project in Progress (/showthread.php?tid=12755)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - Athena Areias - 03-12-2009

OK. The interior is done. It needs to dry out before sealing. Then I fit the exterior leather. Then the fittings. Then the bronze rim (when I have money).

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - Magnus - 03-12-2009

Wow that's amazing!

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - Giannis K. Hoplite - 03-12-2009

A great pity that the Laudes are not present in the new RAT version. You'd certainly deserve them!

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - jkaler48 - 03-12-2009

This project certainly looks as if it deserves an award of some type. A work of art that I wouldn't want to be banging about in reenactment:
looks like you should make another, a "field" Aspis, and save this one for the victory parade!

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - Athena Areias - 03-13-2009

Thanks for the kind words (pseudo-laudes). I'm hoping fixative will set the interior so it can stand some use. I have to admit I'd cry like the girl I am if it got all dinged up right away. I at least need to have it finished for a bit before the scuffing begins.

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - Kallimachos - 03-13-2009

That'e really beautiful Cheryl. Amazing work!!!

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - Athena Areias - 04-14-2009

OK. Things are moving along, now!

I still can't tell why sometimes it's a pic and sometimes it's a download. Anyway, here's the leather exterior. (Thank you very big cow.)

Here' the fitted interior. I primed the exterior last night. I see more painting in my future.

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - M. Demetrius - 04-14-2009

Astonishingly good work! Worthy of any world class museum, in my opinion.
Can't wait to see the front side's completion.

Thanks. The hard part is being patient. The end is in sight and I don't want to mess up, now.

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - Athena Areias - 04-27-2009

I reattached the missing photos. More than a few got lost in the forum change-over and have now been found.

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - jvrjenivs - 04-27-2009

That is indeed a wonderful paint job! Realy nice and good luck with the last bit of work. At the end I think this project has brought you one of the best Aspis around in the international re-enactment (and museum) scene.

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - Idomeneas - 04-28-2009

Great work! The most well shaped aspis I ve ever seen.

Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - Athena Areias - 04-29-2009

Thank you. There is something to be said for turning the wooden core. I can't wait to finish it and carry it to see how it handles. Patience, patience, patience. (Or as I say to myself, "Shut up and paint!")