RomanArmyTalk
Reenactment gear from goodwill - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Reenactment gear from goodwill (/showthread.php?tid=13165)

Reenactment gear from goodwill - jkaler48 - 07-17-2008

Here are the results of my trip to the Goodwill store today - total cost
less than 20.00
2 each straw hats
1 Copper bowl (I may replace the handles)
1 Bronze trivit/ cook stand
1 Small Eagle (I may make this into a mini standard for the little grandkids)

Re: Reenactment gear from goodwill - Magnus - 07-17-2008

Ha! Nice finds...I think that could beat Matt Amt going through trash piles lol.

Good hunt! - texascavtrooper - 07-18-2008

Hey John,
Good haul. I like the copper bowl. Oh also thanks for the info about places to get my gear. I have bought everything I needed already. Almost 2 grand. Being in Iraq helps with the funds. :lol:
Bryan

Re: Reenactment gear from goodwill - jvrjenivs - 07-18-2008

Indeed a very good buy!

Re: Reenactment gear from goodwill - Peroni - 07-18-2008

Don't forget to tin the inside of the pot if you intend to use it for cooking. :wink:

Re: Reenactment gear from goodwill - Matthew Amt - 07-18-2008

Did you go through the aisle with bedding and tablecloths? You can find linen tablecloths (pink and other colors can be used for shield coverings, and painted over) and wool blankets (cloaks, etc.). Brass candlesticks with the tall plain shaft--unscrew the top and bottom (NOT in the store, silly, BUY it first!) and melt them down for buckles, while the shaft is a nice piece of 1/4" round rod (crest supports, etc.).

Sometimes there are good videos, too!

Happy shopping!

Matthew

PS: Hey, don't diss them dumpsters, dude...

Re: Reenactment gear from goodwill - Magnus - 07-19-2008

LOL

hey, you can use round rod for crest mounts?

Re: Reenactment gear from goodwill - Matthew Amt - 07-20-2008

Quote:hey, you can use round rod for crest mounts?

Well, you have to grind them square, first, but it doesn't take long. Actuallly, the first piece of round rod that I made my own crest support from was something I found lying in the gutter. Must have been some sort of brazing rod, since I was able to bend it very nicely while red-hot. I didn't know any better! Naturally when I tried to bend a piece of hot regular brass the next time, it broke! So I thought, "No problem, it's still long enough, I can start again at the other end." And broke it again! Grrrr..... Now I know better. Never work hot brass!

Matthew

Re: Reenactment gear from goodwill - Magnus - 07-20-2008

Yeah well, that happened to me with the latest one I was making out of mild steel...had it red hot and it still snapped. Guess I needed to re-heat it.

Oh, and I broke both ends...lol.

Re: Reenactment gear from goodwill - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-20-2008

Hmmm, that sounds fishy......sure it was steel? :?

Re: Reenactment gear from goodwill - Titus Petronicus Graccus - 07-20-2008

Quote:
Magnus:2m5rtj7h Wrote:hey, you can use round rod for crest mounts?

Well, you have to grind them square, first, but it doesn't take long. Actuallly, the first piece of round rod that I made my own crest support from was something I found lying in the gutter. Must have been some sort of brazing rod, since I was able to bend it very nicely while red-hot. I didn't know any better! Naturally when I tried to bend a piece of hot regular brass the next time, it broke! So I thought, "No problem, it's still long enough, I can start again at the other end." And broke it again! Grrrr..... Now I know better. Never work hot brass!

Matthew

Yup. NEVER work brass hot. You have to work it cold after it's been annealed. Just heat it to a nice cherry heat and then plunge it into cold water. All copper alloys anneal this way, ferric metals anneal by heating them and allowing them to cool very slowly (the slower the better).
And NEVER use something you "found in a gutter", you don't know where it's been!
:lol:

Re: Reenactment gear from goodwill - Aetius Helvius Merula - 07-22-2008

Gotta love Goodwill. I found a glass flask and jug that I use for honey and olive oil, several bowls and cups there that I use in my marching pack. I keep looking for an appropriate blanket to make a paenula out of, but no luck yet. And there's all kinds of brass there.