RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Allies & Enemies of Rome (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Show here your Germanic warrior impression (/showthread.php?tid=13324)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - WorkMonkey - 09-08-2009

Interesting point, one of the german Ulfhednar chaps at Sutton Hoo was saying the XIV was a recycled helm, much older than its deposition date, that it had bits taken from several helms. Whether this was just speculation or as a result from studying it I dont know.

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Redwald - 09-08-2009

Regarding the V XIV - until those responsible for the finds get round to publishing their recent research it is all speculation. There is supposed to be English language editions of the Valsgarde stuff on the way, too. However, don't hold your breath, the series started in 1942, the third volume came out in 1974 and volume 4 (Valsgarde 5) still awaits publication. Much has happened in the intervening years, including the discovery of many new techniques of analysis.

Cheers,

Paul

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Medicus matt - 09-09-2009

Quote:Regarding the V XIV - until those responsible for the finds get round to publishing their recent research it is all speculation.
Yes, but you can't deny that the similarity between it and some elements of the Niederbieber helmets is striking?

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Lord_Kalen - 10-09-2009

[Image: FF-bastardizedBarbarian-2.jpg]

Mailes grown 4 inches since the photos been taken , Belt in the photo was a modern 2 incher as was the cross-strap , I'll post closeups of the replacements Ive been working on

The shield is admitably more viking , Ive got a few wood bossed ones Ive made since then with horizontal grips ( I'm not very good with javelins) I'll try to post an update

Ive got a WW2 era Swedish helmet Ive been planning to convert

the shoes dont really show up but are badly in need of replacing aswell the green garment under the tunic was a modern sweater, but I intend to have a long tunic in a similar tunic made in the future aswell as a replacment for my shortsleeve tunic .

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z76/ ... n-helm.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z76/ ... 1992--.jpg
If your able to access my photobucket galleries , theres more pictures of my arms, including modern and milsurp and a few other projects ive been working on including my Chu Ko Nu's ........ period design but a few thousand miles out of the area

[Image: newbeltLylessax.jpg]
Got the new belt done , the green handled Langsax I made for my cousin

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Alanus - 10-09-2009

Hailog, Lord_Kalen

Good work. I know how difficult it is to find or make clothes and weapons that are correct in ethnic detail. That wicked-big knife looks like a seaxe of seaxes!

In my case, it's trying to be as Sarmatian as possible; not easy because no-one makes Sarmat-Alanic clothing. Recently, I bought a medieval-era chainmail shirt, then shortened the sleeves and widened the neck. Then I took those brass "stud things" that the regular legionaries have hanging in front of their crotch and peened them around the neck and sleeve-ends of the chainmail. It turned out pretty cool!-- and exactly what a Sarmatian would do.

Keep up the effort. Smile

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Astiryu1 - 11-22-2009

I would like to have a kit for a hunter/woodsman that is period ; but not so Robin Hood any ideas?

Have-
Green Cloak w/hood
Leather sleeveless vest
Pointed leather boots

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - M. Demetrius - 11-22-2009

Since the Germanic tribes didn't keep a standing army, there wouldn't be much difference between the clothing and equipment a hunter and a warrior except for setting, seems to me. Hunters probably didn't carry shields, unless in dangerous borderlands.

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Astiryu1 - 11-22-2009

I assumed as much yet being a fairly good bowman and decent with self javelins and such I'm wondering what kind of kit would be acceptable as far as clothing is concerned

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Chlodovicus - 11-25-2009

Interesting stuff. Has anyone included a francisca in his kit? The Franks are a favorite of mine (if there can be a favorite barbarian Smile ).

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Astiryu1 - 11-25-2009

Not yet!!! I purchased the Norse Hawk by Cold Steel recently. Mainly I wanted a hatchet I could easily replace the handle to. The fourth time I threw it ( over a 2 story house ) I broke the handle. I made a new one in 5 minutes. You can't replace old technology.

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Medicus matt - 11-27-2009

Quote:Interesting stuff. Has anyone included a francisca in his kit? The Franks are a favorite of mine (if there can be a favorite barbarian Smile ).

Yes, we used to do a display of sharp,germanic projectile weapons. Half a dozen men throwing two franciscas each at the charge makes a real mess of anything that gets in their way.

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Cheyenne - 11-27-2009

I also have a francisca with my late roman kit - we do have a francisca throwing competition as part of our drill display - it is quite likely that such items found their way into the arsenal of those who weren't even of germanic/frankish origin in the later army ...

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Astiryu1 - 12-02-2009

I wonder if the plumbata were used just as lawn darts by the Germanic tribesmen. While having their drinking buddies over maybe?

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - M. Demetrius - 12-02-2009

Quote:I wonder if the plumbata were used just as lawn darts
You mean before some consumer protection advocacy group had them banned after finding out they were actually dangerous, and could hurt someone? 8) Right after that, the Romans copied them, and added them to the Late Roman panoply, no doubt. :wink: :roll:

Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - Franklin - 12-09-2009

A jaunty pose in my new Ostrogothic togs. No real effort at accuracy here, I just used upholstery fabric for the patterned parts. Mostly wanted to play with shapes and dimensions and overall look. I'll follow up with a hand embroidered version at some point. Don't mind the helmet hair!
[Image: Ostrogoth.jpg]