RomanArmyTalk
And one more Celtic sword - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Allies & Enemies of Rome (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: And one more Celtic sword (/showthread.php?tid=13391)

And one more Celtic sword - Caballo - 08-15-2008

This one from the time of the Roman invasions. Note the "cockade" scabbard mouth echoing the Hod Hill sword- and the strange baldric loop. Very ornate pommel. Any ideas?
[Image: IMG_2589.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2588.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2587.jpg]

Re: And one more Celtic sword - madoc - 08-16-2008

We reckon the scabbards with the middle runners might be ones to be carried on the back (as per the chalk figures).

[Image: chalk%20figures.jpg]

If you use one on a baldric/waist belt, then the sword just keeps tipping over UNLESS you have extra straps to support the top or the bottom of the scabbard and that starts covering up the decoration on the throat.
The chapes look like they _might_ have formed part of the method but not in all cases.

Quite how you devise a method to suspend one on your back is open to interpretation. The chalk figures look to have straps around their middles ?. I remade my last one into a top mounted/two ring suspension in the end.

However, I have a blade and partly made 2-piece metal scabbard to finish up and I'll be trying to suspend that effectively enough to fight with (which is the most important thing - if you cannot actually run about and fight with your spear then it's not a good method).

[/img]

Re: And one more Celtic sword - brennivs - tony drake - 08-16-2008

Excellent thought Madoc Big Grin D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

Re: And one more Celtic sword - madoc - 08-17-2008

in the small, confined space in a chariot then drawing a sword off your back is liable to result in cutting the chap behind.

It's not a very practical thing when it comes to putting it back either ...

.. but it looks so "conan" .............

Re: And one more Celtic sword - brennivs - tony drake - 08-17-2008

I was thinking of more the guy at the back using it. Dismounting, fighting, then jump back on when hard pressed. yes Conan had crossed my mind Big Grin lol: intresting pics of thoughs figures. The first time I have seen them and as can be seen swords slung on the back Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

Re: And one more Celtic sword - Conal - 09-10-2008

Quote:If you use one on a baldric/waist belt, then the sword just keeps tipping over UNLESS you have extra straps to support the top or the bottom of the scabbard and that starts covering up the decoration on the throat.

Is that with a flat belt ?

Did you place the loop facing the back or facing away?

Perhaps a plaited/braided belt section which fills the loop thus not allowing tipping?

Re: And one more Celtic sword - Donciorate - 09-10-2008

Is it possible that the position of the loop could mean it was a sword hung from a saddle, or is that historically impossible.

Re: And one more Celtic sword - madoc - 09-15-2008

I've had a go at numerous things with the centred runner and in all cases, a single belt just doesn't do the trick. I am sure there must be a way to do it with multiple straps.

The idea of it being chariot or horse mounted is something we ain't tried. I'll make up the next one and have my wife hang it from the horse and see.

To be fair, any interpretation is as good as the next as we don't know.

Re: And one more Celtic sword - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-15-2008

Interesting swords. Are these in the BM? What section?